You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bench/Weights Advice

Brownie

By the way, i've got aone of those fitness ball things and i'm wondering if I need to buy a bench? Can't you just do the dumbell exercises on the ball?

You can do them on a ball. A chap at my gym dislocated his shoulder on one... that was bad luck though! Once you get used to the ball its meant to be a really good way to train.

You can do them on a ball. A chap at my gym dislocated his shoulder on one... that was bad luck though! Once you get used to the ball its meant to be a really good way to train.

Within your strength/comfort limitations, though. The ball will help use utilisation muscles and such...

The adjustable bench gives you a platform to increase muscle tone and strength by virtue of lifting heavier weights safely.

Within your strength/comfort limitations, though. The ball will help use utilisation muscles and such...

The adjustable bench gives you a platform to increase muscle tone and strength by virtue of lifting heavier weights safely.

I've never used the ball, its always looked a bit gay to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question that has been bugging me about bench pressing:

What reminded me was I was watching C4/T4 the weekend and that welsh guy was interviewing Shia LaBeouf (the fairly wimpy looking guy out of Indiana Jones and Disturbia).

Anyway, that welsh guy whose name escapes me was giving him the bullshit like; oh man you're a beafcake now, you have bulked up loads yadda yadda. What are you benching these days?

LaBeouf says; 225 pounds.

I know that I am just under 13 stone which is 80KGs but... I have been going to the gym for the last 5 months so was interested to to see what 225lb that was in KG's. It turns out that it is 102KG's.

So, back to my question; I have always considered "I can bench press x amount" to be the amount of weight you can bench press a set of (say a set of 5/7 or 10 reps) unassisted without a spotter etc. Is that correct?

Regardless, surely the guy is bullshitting about being able to bench 225lb/102KG ?!

Incidentally on a smith machine my max bench press set is 55KG / 121 lb

On an Olympic bar it is 45KG +bar (22.5) = 67.5KG / 148 lb

I have a question that has been bugging me about bench pressing:

What reminded me was I was watching C4/T4 the weekend and that welsh guy was interviewing Shia LaBeouf (the fairly wimpy looking guy out of Indiana Jones and Disturbia).

Anyway, that welsh guy whose name escapes me was giving him the bullshit like; oh man you're a beafcake now, you have bulked up loads yadda yadda. What are you benching these days?

LaBeouf says; 225 pounds.

I know that I am just under 13 stone which is 80KGs but... I have been going to the gym for the last 5 months so was interested to to see what 225lb that was in KG's. It turns out that it is 102KG's.

So, back to my question; I have always considered "I can bench press x amount" to be the amount of weight you can bench press a set of (say a set of 5/7 or 10 reps) unassisted without a spotter etc. Is that correct?

Regardless, surely the guy is bullshitting about being able to bench 225lb/102KG ?!

Incidentally on a smith machine my max bench press set is 55KG / 121 lb

On an Olympic bar it is 45KG +bar (22.5) = 67.5KG / 148 lb

i don't know the fella your on about so i can't comment but benching 100 isnt as uncommon as it sounds.

since i'v ahem, 'cheated' i'v incresed my bench by 5 every couple of weeks but as most gym heads would have you believe, your bench doesn't improve as much as your leg press and overall strength in your back. i used to pull 35/40 max behind my head and am on 60/65 now and on normal back excercises i use a 32.5kg dumbell or on the machine i lift 75/80.

what i would say is set out a strict week plan. here is mine;

monday - shoulders and neck.

start with dumbell shoulder press, alternate raises, side raises, shoulder press with a bar (infront and behind your head, not at the same time, 3 sets infront then 3 sets behind), upward row (get on the cables or set up a small bar), shrugs.

wednesday - chest and triceps.

flat bench, incline bench, decline bench, flat bench flys, incline bench flys, triceps on cables (straight down), triceps on cables outwards (back to machine), triceps with dumbell behind head, super set (lower weight with lots of reps, should feel a good burn after 12 or so reps) on the peck deck and chest press machine.

friday - back and biceps. (my favourite)

back dumbells (set a bench up flat, left knee and hand on it and lift with right arm, same on other side), cable for back (pull into chest), cable behind head, as many machines as possible (they tend to give a good specific muscle work out and can be enjoyable to throw into your work out), set a bench bar up with one end against a wall with weights on the other end and use handles / ropey dog toy thing to pull up towards chest, twisted curls, hammers, staright bar curls, bicep bar curls (usually on a bicep bench, use the bench and if done properly you can't go wrong, make sure you go right down)

rest is as important as what you do in the gym. if you don't let your body rest then it can't repair and you won't get any gains in anything, more than likely you'll get hurt.

swimming/running/rowing/bikes spread throughout the week should be enough of a workout for your legs, i never weight train mine as my knees are gay. they don't look small like some upper body fools do though! (if your calves are shit get on the stairs machine or stairway to heaven as its known in our gym)

edit:

ps. if you can't be arsed doing a certain excercise don't do it but don't be lazy, swap it for something else. change is good because you body has a thing called 'muscle memory' and your muscles get used to the same work out and stop reacting to it.

Thanks for the workout plan, looks good. I tend to go about 4 times a week. I mix my workouts up a lot from week to week and play as much squash as possible to keep me interested. I tend to do about 30-40 mins weights with minimum rest and finish with a 10/15/20 min run or other cardio mix.

I often work two specific body parts but generally just go for an all over workout. The two machines I use most are the smith and the raptor cable; I could spend my whole session on those two alone.

One exercise that you forgot to mention was the squat, that leaves me killing for days :)

Thanks for the workout plan, looks good. I tend to go about 4 times a week. I mix my workouts up a lot from week to week and play as much squash as possible to keep me interested. I tend to do about 30-40 mins weights with minimum rest and finish with a 10/15/20 min run or other cardio mix.

I often work two specific body parts but generally just go for an all over workout. The two machines I use most are the smith and the raptor cable; I could spend my whole session on those two alone.

One exercise that you forgot to mention was the squat, that leaves me killing for days :)

if i squat i can rarely get back up. i seriously do have the elton john of the knee world. legs do tend to give an ache for longer than any other muscle. try a quick repair powder for a week or two, if it doesn't have much affect swerve it tho' because they just don't work on some people and its a waste of money.

Beef, there was a cracking article in the Guardian about roid abusers. Was going to post it just for you but i forgot. Bugger

How are the bitch tits coming along?

users and abusers are different. we won't go into it.

if you can get the article whack it up or pm me it tho' mate, i'll defo have a read.

i'v just had a gander in the argos and am planning my own gym. heres the plans;

- gazebo at the bottom of the garden

- bench

- bicep benchy thingy

- rowing machine

- a 50kg york weight pack + extra few weight plate packs.

can't weight*, will cost a few quid but will be worth it.

*sorry, had to do it.

Robbie, I see you obviously ignored the GF advice on Steroids when you asked last time!

Which ones are you taking mate? Designer Steroids such as Epidrol/Pheraplex/Superdrol or have you jumped into the 'ahem' less legal option. What most people seem to fail to realise is that you can take some pretty effective and perfectly legal compounds which are extremely strong Anabolc Androgenic Steroids. I hope you haven't gone down the route of taking something off lads in the Gym.

Not everyone is gung ho about Steroids. You are absolutely correct about 'users and abusers' tho. People can do it perfectly safely. I'm massively into my weight training and will, one day, go down the legal steroid use. I'm interested in whether you had the foresight to get baseline blood, blood pressure and Cholesterol tests, and what you plan to use for post cycle therapy to prevent the 'bitch tits'!

I've gone up three stone, through sheer diet and hard work, in seven months. Your split seems similar to mine.

Send me a PM fella. I'm not looking to get you nicked! Of course anything you tell me can remain hypothetical :whistle:

If that's to me longballs, then a few months ago it was either 92.5 kilo with a bar (only four reps mind) or with dumbbells 40kg per side for six reps). I've stopped doing any kind of bench press now tho, as the best exercise for your chest is actually dips, with your chin tucked into your chest and your legs across each other and pointing forward making a 'half moon' shape. Search 'Vince Gironda Dips' on google.

I absolutey hate bench press tho. I hate the back slapping, homo erotic 'spotting' that goes on. I tended to use dumbells and go to failure as I wouldnt need a spotter and wouldn't have the bar collapse on me doing it alone.

I'm not sure what robbie's diet is like. That's even more important that the training itself. The training is the easy part.

Just a couple of points on your training regime Robbie.

1) If anything you appear to be overtraining. Why the need for so many exercises? I bet you're in the Gym for well over an hour. Some of the best gains I've had have been as a result of spending less than half an hour in the Gym at a time, doing no more than two different exercises per bodypart. In terms of your shoulder day, I don't see why you're doing two different types of press (bar and dumbbell seems excessive) and then multiple types of raise. I've always found that raises are generally best at refining the shoulders as opposed to building mass. Infact you seem to be doing many exercises for biceps too etc. I now never do more than four different exercises per gym visit. Anything more and you won't get a great deal of benefit in my opinion.

2) I don't think swimming and running is sufficient for legs. I see you appear to have problems with knees etc but the two best exercises for releasing Growth Hormone into the body are Squats and Deadlifts (for back). Flooding your body with this natural growth hormone will benefit every other muscle group in your body. You may get to the stage where despite all your upper body hard work your body won't want to grow anymore because your legs aren't.

If that's to me longballs, then a few months ago it was either 92.5 kilo with a bar (only four reps mind) or with dumbbells 40kg per side for six reps). I've stopped doing any kind of bench press now tho, as the best exercise for your chest is actually dips, with your chin tucked into your chest and your legs across each other and pointing forward making a 'half moon' shape. Search 'Vince Gironda Dips' on google.

I absolutey hate bench press tho. I hate the back slapping, homo erotic 'spotting' that goes on. I tended to use dumbells and go to failure as I wouldnt need a spotter and wouldn't have the bar collapse on me doing it alone.

I'm not sure what robbie's diet is like. That's even more important that the training itself. The training is the easy part.

Just a couple of points on your training regime Robbie.

1) If anything you appear to be overtraining. Why the need for so many exercises? I bet you're in the Gym for well over an hour. Some of the best gains I've had have been as a result of spending less than half an hour in the Gym at a time, doing no more than two different exercises per bodypart. In terms of your shoulder day, I don't see why you're doing two different types of press (bar and dumbbell seems excessive) and then multiple types of raise. I've always found that raises are generally best at refining the shoulders as opposed to building mass. Infact you seem to be doing many exercises for biceps too etc. I now never do more than four different exercises per gym visit. Anything more and you won't get a great deal of benefit in my opinion.

2) I don't think swimming and running is sufficient for legs. I see you appear to have problems with knees etc but the two best exercises for releasing Growth Hormone into the body are Squats and Deadlifts (for back). Flooding your body with this natural growth hormone will benefit every other muscle group in your body. You may get to the stage where despite all your upper body hard work your body won't want to grow anymore because your legs aren't.

thats why i started on the pop.

i do a good few excercises on each muscle because i start by going heavy then superset until failure. i get a better burn if i pump up and then work it until i can't do another rep than just doing 2/3 excercises.

and heres what i'v ate/going to eat today;

- 8.30 banana, fruit and fibre cereal, toast, shake

- 10.00 cheese butty and shake

- 12.00 pasta, baked potato tuna

- 16.00 soup (home made)

- 18.00 soup, chicken + beef fajitas

- 20.45 banana, orange, shake

I used to have it in my head that I need barely be able to raise my arms when i left the gym, that I needed to feel the burn. The idea that you haven't done enough without the burn is a fallacy. I switched from many isolation exercises about three months ago to more traditional compound exercises and I started growing again. I've never supersetted if I'm honest. I guess if what you're doing is working at the moment then fine but would it be working without gear?

When you say shake what do you mean exactly? Just whey protein or a meal replacement powder containing carbs/protein/fat.

Looking at your diet the one thing you could benefit from is more EFA'S (essential fatty acids). There will be some in the Tuna etc, but what about seeds/nuts etc? They're an often neglected part of a diet. In terms of protein, do you like cottage cheese? That's about the best protein you could possibly have before bed due to its slow digestion rate.

I used to have it in my head that I need barely be able to raise my arms when i left the gym, that I needed to feel the burn. The idea that you haven't done enough without the burn is a fallacy. I switched from many isolation exercises about three months ago to more traditional compound exercises and I started growing again. I've never supersetted if I'm honest. I guess if what you're doing is working at the moment then fine but would it be working without gear?

When you say shake what do you mean exactly? Just whey protein or a meal replacement powder containing carbs/protein/fat.

Looking at your diet the one thing you could benefit from is more EFA'S (essential fatty acids). There will be some in the Tuna etc, but what about seeds/nuts etc? They're an often neglected part of a diet. In terms of protein, do you like cottage cheese? That's about the best protein you could possibly have before bed due to its slow digestion rate.

i'm alergic to nuts mate but i'll get into the cottage cheese.

what legal product would you recommend chris? i only chose the one i'v pm'd you because it is weak and less harmful/potent than most others.