You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mancini set to quit?

Parisienne

Guest TK-421

I liked him as a player and he looks like a smooth motherfucker, but his card antics were annoying. A touch of the Mourinhos about him.

11/03/2008 23:29

Mancini To Step Down In May

There has been some stunning fallout from Inter's defeat to Liverpool this evening. The Nerazzurri have not only lost the tie, but also look set to lose their coach.

Inter coach Roberto Mancini has just confirmed that he will be stepping down as the coach of the club at the end of the season.

"I want to reveal something," he began, speaking after the 1-0 defeat to Liverpool. "I want to say it clearly to avoid any controversy.

"At the end of the season I will terminate my contract [which has four more years on it], and I will leave Inter.

"These will be my last two months on the Inter bench, and I hope to finish well by winning the Scudetto and the Coppa Italia.

"The decision has already been communicated to the players in the dressing room at the end of the match."

He insisted, however, that the step has nothing to do with the defeat to Liverpool, and that his mind had already been made up.

"This decision would have been made even if we had won. It doesn't depend on tonight's defeat," he concluded.

There have been calls for Mancini's head from certain quarters, but the timing of the announcement will have caught even the harshest of his critics by surprise.

Bbc news 24.

Dummy spat out of pram, they havent lost a fuckin game at the San Siro in 13 months.

Rafa was always going to have one over him, get over it.

my older man has informed me that hes just said live on sky, that hes resigning at the end of the season. is that true or i have got it wrong?

sore fucking loser :smile:

yeah but what does that young guy you've been seeing reckon?

it's easy to walk away after he's won the title, harder to build a team. bottler

To be fair to Mancini it's not really him who get's to build the team it's Moratti and when you look at some of the fuck ups he's made in the transfer market it's little wonder he doesn't fancy having to fight to rebuild a team.

For Example

Pirlo - Signs for Inter and despite being one of the most promising players in Italy is sold to Milan while players like Recoba (as talented as he is but never shown it) get's contract extension after contract extension.

Mutu and Adriano - Both massively talented young players at the time, brought in do well initially then get sold on within months (only to buy back Adriano for about 18 million a year or so later.

Obsession with strikers where despite the lack of defence in the early part of the century he was obsessed with buying striker after srikers after striker.

Even now their midfield is ancient and packed full of defense minded with only Cambiasso and Jimenez really worthy of a place at the moment.

The team is far better than anything else in Serie A at the moment (with maybe the exception of Roma) but they're still a long way short of what they could be.

Cue 'Rafa to Inter' rumours in tomorrows papers.

is it therefore imperative Rafa gets a new contract this summer. I am sure there will be penty of stories in the papers linking him with Inter, Milan, Real Madrid & Barca. That's 4 vacancies that should be available this summer.

And in three short words the career, the lifetime achievements, any glory real or perceived, is ruled on.

From now on, whenever the name Mancini comes up, it shall be just waved away with a 'never rated him'.

For aws has spoken. And so shall it be.

I hadn't formed an opinion. I have one now. Thanks aws!