You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Intouchables - about as close to perfect as a film can be. I hate the word lovely, but it's the only word that fits.

9.7 mega-rich cripples out of 10 Parisian bad boys. 

Glad someone else thought so. I've spammed the fuck out of this thread with recommendations for that film. Probably the best film I've seen in the last five years.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The Intouchables - 8.5 Sakho lookalikes out of 10 Nazi invalids. Really enjoyed it, thanks for the heads up, lads.

Stuck on Love - 7/10. Not great, but if you're a bit of a sap, like me, it's worth it. Greg Kinner is good anyway.

• Upvote 1

The Way Way Back.

5.5 not quite as awkward as awkward British teenagers out of 10 why doesn't Steve Carrol's stick do what he does best and make me laughs. 

Great cast. Started off brilliantly - after 10 mins I was thinking Little Miss Sunshine, Moonrise Kingdom etc, which is good. Then it lost its way in a big way in the middle. It came good in the end, but it left me wanting a bit more. 

It tried a bit too hard to be a modern version of My Crazy Summer meets National Lampoon's Vacation. They even managed to feature a real-life metallic pea 'Truckster'  ("you think you hate it now, just wait til you drive it!")

Americans rarely manage to capture teenage angst and frustration on screen. Sometimes they manage - Juno, Donny Darko, American Beauty, Little Miss Sunshine et al, but 99/100 It's just fucking dumb, predictable and shmoltzy bollocks. For  all the small laughs and feel-good bits in this, it's basically mostly shmoltzy bollocks. 

You can see they've tried hard to emulate the kind of coming-of-age, awkward feel that a British film like Submarine or This is England gives off, but it just doesn't get close. Way too fucking shallow in all departments. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Ouch. And I thought I marked it low. I thought some bits were a bit predictable, so whipped a point off. 5.5, though, is pretty stinging. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 89%, IMDb a 7.6. I thought Sam Rockwell was pretty superb in it. I thought it was easily better than Moonrise Kingdom and not too far off Little Miss Sunshine. Not as good as Juno, though.

• Upvote 1

I was looking for that on Netflix to no avail. Is it on Lovefilm or something?

Anyway, had a bit of a film night tonight (a pretty poor one though).

Red Riding Hood - 5/10 Pretty dire. Gets 4 for Gary Oldman, although thry didn't even give him much direction to work with and he was clearly there for the paycheck.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 7/10 Decent spinoff from the series, hated the cruelty (even though it was on CG animals...) and it felt like a cheap way to manipulate the audience and I didn't buy Franco's performance for a second.

Trees Lounge - 8/10 quite enjoyable character piece, if a little insubstantial come the end..

Shit. Meant to rep you NV for the Fleurot love and hit neg instead. Have repped two earlier posts to compensate.

V/H/S - 3/10. More Twilight Zone/Tales Of The Unexpected than horror. And not very good to boot. 9/10 for the webcam tit-jiggling in the fourth installment.

Done fuck all except watch movies for a few days so.

42, really enjoyed it great lead and Harrison Ford proves once again he is up there with the greatest. 7.85/10

Shooter. Good action film Mark Whalberg  is his usual moody strong self 7.15/10

Elsyium. Didn't quite know what it wanted to be. 6/10

Intouchables. Really good. Great lead. Wheelchair guy was a cross between DeNiro and Hoffman. Great redhead. Cheers GF for that one 8/10

Hangover 3. shit 4/10

2012. Nonsense as expected 5/10

Pacific Rim - fucking shite. Shite acting, shite fight scenes, a shite mess of what could've been something really impressive, based on the general premise of the film. 2 out of 10.

The Lone Ranger - slightly longer than it needed to be, plus a few "behave yourself!" incredibly unbelievable action scenes, but apart from these criticisms, I enjoyed it. Thought Depp was quite funny as Tonto. 7 out of 10.

I am number four. Crap turned it off. 3/10

Rise of the foot soldier. Full af fackin cockney cants. Just missing Dyer. Pretty shit. 5/10

Layer cake. More fackin cockney cants. Bit better this Craig saves it 6.9/10

Blood Simple. Coen brothers. Pretty good and quirky. Good film making 7.85/10

Gone baby gone. Excellent 8/10

Memento. Had no idea what was going on for most of it but it comes together v well. Enjoyed it 7.95/10