You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mid Season Review

Rashid

How have we done this season, all things considered?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How have we done this season, all things considered?

• Rafa should get a contract for life after this!
    • We have exceeded expectations
    • As expected (Nothing more, nothing less)
    • We have under-achieved for whatever reason
    • I didn't expect this, I'm pissed off.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realistically thought we would challenge for the league but never thought we would win it. I thought that if Babel improves our creativity and Torres catches fire then we would do well. The problem though has been the mediocrity of players such as Kuyt, Crouch etc and the absence of a couple of key players. That said Rafa hasn't changed his mindset one bit and continued playing and preparing the way he always has. For that reason we are more or less the same as other seasons, simply not good enough.

It is sort of what I expected. I am delighted that we managed to qualify for the CL despite the horrendous start. The league could be better, but it was roughly what I thought. WE are always ace at the end of the season so we will probably still win the league.

I realistically thought we would challenge for the league but never thought we would win it. I thought that if Babel improves our creativity and Torres catches fire then we would do well. The problem though has been the mediocrity of players such as Kuyt, Crouch etc and the absence of a couple of key players. That said Rafa hasn't changed his mindset one bit and continued playing and preparing the way he always has. For that reason we are more or less the same as other seasons, simply not good enough.

Rafa doesn't need to change his mindset.

Let's put it this way, Put Rafa at the Helm of United and he'll win the Title. I fucking hate saying it but they have the personal and have been playing together for years. That's how you win a title.

Rafa is still rebuilding and I hope it doesn't take much longer but he'll win the Premiership Title if given the chance and the backing to do so.

Rafa isn't the fucking problem.

So you expect us to be challenging in May?

Yes, we tend to finish strongly, I don't see why not. People were writing United off at the start of the season as they played gubbins. I enjoyed it, but I knew it wouldn't last. I would happily extend Rafa's contract right now.

I'm disappointed as I expected us to be closer than twelve points behind at this stage. I didn't think we'd scrape through in the CL either after seeing the group we had. Not easy by any means but it shouldn't have come down to the last game, away from home.

Fingers crossed we'll pick things from now on in, and win some silverware.

I expected a stronger challenge, but then I didn't foresee Agger's injury (and I didn't appreciate how significant it would be) or the lack of goals from 3 out of 4 of our strikers.

In the Summer, Rafa was frustrated in his attempts to sign a defender who could play at centre-back or full-back and could successfully pass to a team-mate. Just that one extra signing could have saved enough points to enable us to now be talking about a serious title challenge.

Yes, we tend to finish strongly, I don't see why not. People were writing United off at the start of the season as they played gubbins. I enjoyed it, but I knew it wouldn't last. I would happily extend Rafa's contract right now.

I'll make two predictions for this season:

1) we will again finish strongly

2) nobody on the telly will give credit to rotation

We challenged earlier in the season and I expect us to push and finish strongly. I think we'll finish 2nd or 3rd this season.

If not, Rafa will be sacked, no matter how many shits I have on Parry's car.

I'll make two predictions for this season:

1) we will again finish strongly

2) nobody on the telly will give credit to rotation

From that post, I take it you think we'll finish strongly due to rotation?

What's the point in rotating with the intention of finishing strongly, if you're too far behind for it to make a difference?

I`m disappointed to be honest.

I never expected us to win the League but I thought we would be a lot closer at this stage. Also really disappointed at the way we struggled to get out of a fairly easy CL group and I think it has had a knock on effect on the League form, for example I don`t think the calamity at Reading would have happened if the must win game in Marseille wasn`t looming large and then the subsequent defeat at Reading I think put more pressure on the Utd match and then that defeat has pressurised the following games even more and the result is that instead of possibly challenging for top spot we`re now in a real tussle for 4th.

In his fourth season we should be doing better than that.

We challenged earlier in the season and I expect us to push and finish strongly. I think we'll finish 2nd or 3rd this season.

If not, Rafa will be sacked, no matter how many shits I have on Parry's car.

I was made up with how we were doing up until the Pompey game. The team was settled, it seemed as though Rafa had decided upon Torres and Kuyt as the first choice pair and we were playing well and scoring goals.

Then we changed things and haven't really recovered that momentum since.

From that post, I take it you think we'll finish strongly due to rotation?

What's the point in rotating with the intention of finishing strongly, if you're too far behind for it to make a difference?

That's were luck comes into it. If they drop points whilst we're hitting good form, who knows?

Might have been last season or the season before when we finished strongly and people were thinking "Oh, what if we'd have picked up points here? What if we hadn't of dropped points there? We proabably would have won the league!". That will be the case this season.

It was our own fault and the media's fault for saying we're going to the win the league. Rafa was playing down our chances, yet we were building them just to knock ourselves down.

Well, currently 81% of people think we've stood still or made no progress!

Taint good enough!

Im sick to death of reading 'we'll finish the season strongly.' Hasn't the last 3 season proved how inept this really is?

Get the results from the last 3 seasons after January.

I am in between with this thread.

On the one hand we, along with Arsenal, had a fantastic unbeaten record until Deember, which I did not see coming, we have been destroying teams left right and centre and we have generally been positive and exciting. And Torres is sheer footballing joy.

On the other hand, we have frustrating draws like Blackburn and Man City and horrible defeats like to the Mancs when we have been dominant but struggled to get the breakthrough. I am also disappointed to see Kuyt fall short after a great season.

We need to go and spend big on some areas of the team. If we do we will be there or there abouts. And anyone who says otherwise is a Communist.