You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa on form again

coop

It was obvious the media would ask about rotation.

As the Spaniard prepared for Wednesday's Champions League third qualifying round first leg away to Toulouse, he was making no apologies for his selection tactics.

Peter Crouch, left out of the squad for Saturday's Premier League win over Aston Villa, has already discussed the situation with his manager.

But that did not stop Benitez leaving Jermaine Pennant behind on Merseyside this week - and he confirmed he will be saying the same things to all those involved, or left out.

"I have prepared the same speech for all the players," he said.

"I realise that I will hear this same question regularly - because we have a good squad, and I have to decide."

Until there is a fundamental change in the rules, he joked, he will be sticking to his guns.

"Sadly, I have been unable to persuade FIFA, UEFA, and the Premier League to allow me to use 12 players in every game!" he said.

"I can only use 11 - and I cannot have more than 18 players in a squad for a European match, unfortunately.

"Every player knows they have team-mates to consider. They are professionals and they need to be ready for each game. I will always have the same answer."

Benitez denied his policy has caused any significant unrest to date.

"I have heard that there are some problems with Crouch - that is not the case," he said.

"The same applies to Pennant, and for the likes of Javier Mascherano and the rest.

"It is the same answer for everyone. I now hope I do not have to repeat this to the media every week. The players know they are professionals, and this is football.

"We may be in a very good rugby town here in Toulouse. But this is not rugby - I cannot use 15 players."

Crouch, Yossi Benayoun, Mascherano and Harry Kewell - carrying a thigh strain - did not even get on the coach for the trip to Birmingham.

The manager added: "The only problem we have is too many players, which is the situation we wanted.

"It is never easy to decide which players to change. But it is good for the club and for me - because I can see players working so hard in training and telling me 'Don't forget - I'm here'.

"Each week it may only be a small detail which determines who starts the game, because a player might show his quality in a training session or a practice match. This is the competition we have wanted."

Declining to name Crouch or anyone else specifically, Benitez did say: "On Sunday, I spoke to one player about the situation - and I was really pleased with his response.

"He said he would be ready when he was needed and accepted the position like a professional. That's the mentality we need.

"I say to all the players 'be ready' - because they will all be needed.

"We have two good players now for every position - players will not always be involved. That is the situation when you play for a very big club."

I think the media are correct to ask about rotation as it remains - amongst players and fans - quite controversial. I believe it is essential in the modern game, but I'm not convinced about the way Rafa uses it. I think you should have a first eleven and then use rotation to ensure you can the best out of those eleven for as many games as possible. I don't accept his suggestion that the squad is largely interchangeable - some players are quite clearly better than others and should therefore be playing as often as possible.

Rafa talks about having two players he can trust for every position, but that smacks of just a little too much control to me - a possible factor in our largely stilted attacking play under him. I think there's a lot to be said for signing the very best players and then unleashing them.

Having said all that, I'm still not absolutely certain about what prompts Rafa to rotate. Is it purely small degrees of fitness? Is it form? What is it? I'm also not clear about why he starts every season with significant rotation, but then reduces it as the season progresses. Has that been about not trusting the players available to bring in? If so, presumably we'll now rotate heavily all season long.

I think the media are correct to ask about rotation as it remains - amongst players and fans - quite controversial. I believe it is essential in the modern game, but I'm not convinced about the way Rafa uses it. I think you should have a first eleven and then use rotation to ensure you can the best out of those eleven for as many games as possible. I don't accept his suggestion that the squad is largely interchangeable - some players are quite clearly better than others and should therefore be playing as often as possible.

Rafa talks about having two players he can trust for every position, but that smacks of just a little too much control to me - a possible factor in our largely stilted attacking play under him. I think there's a lot to be said for signing the very best players and then unleashing them.

Having said all that, I'm still not absolutely certain about what prompts Rafa to rotate. Is it purely small degrees of fitness? Is it form? What is it? I'm also not clear about why he starts every season with significant rotation, but then reduces it as the season progresses. Has that been about not trusting the players available to bring in? If so, presumably we'll now rotate heavily all season long.

I agree with most of that Paul.

With regards to the bit in bold, is this actually the case, or is rotation just more noticeable at the start of the season because we've tended to start badly under Rafa?

I read a piece with Pako recently in which he gave a passionate sermon on his and Rafa's belief in the physical and psychological benefits of rotation, especially throughout an English season in which you are demanded to compete in every competition...

This season, as opposed to bowing to public pressure, we will see less of this and I think it sees Rafa and his team adapting thier style a little but certainly not to the extent that many of us feel will be necessary to win the League. Not that we won't be having a royal old go at it.

I also think it fits in with his reticence to buy "big stars"; he clearly had an option to bid for a Mancini, Quaresma or Alves but bought two players in Babel and Benayoun; players who aren't overly motivated by cash, want to improve and develop, eschew the public eye and are therefore more receptive to the squad ethos.

Which is what he does.

Exactly and is the reason he didnt by Quaresma IMO

There are guaranteed starters in every important game, Pepe,Finan, JC, Agger, Gerrard & possibly 7 when Javier gets match fit.

That means he's basically rotating 4 players which would have been 3 if he had bought a Mancini or Quaresma that would have limited his options to rotate even more, what he now has is a nucleus of 6 great players and about 16 good players of a very similar standard, If Babel played to his top level every week then his options to rotate become even more limited

Whether I'm right or wrong, my perception of Rafa's approach to rotation - as opposed to that used by other top managers - is that they tend to rotate when they have to (when a player is injured or properly knackered), whereas he rotates to anticipate possible problems. For example, I've read speculation that Gerrard may be "rested" tonight to make sure he's ready for Sunday. Whilst I'm in favour of any policy that actually works (ie, we win both games), I can't accept for one second that Steven Gerrard needs a rest after one competitive match this season. I suppose what I'm saying is that I haven't seen nearly enough evidence of the benefits of Rafa's rotation policy. What he seems to be suggesting in the interview above is that this is the first season when it will be able to work properly as it's only this season he's had the requisite strength in depth in his squad. Obviously, time will tell.

What he seems to be suggesting in the interview above is that this is the first season when it will be able to work properly as it's only this season he's had the requisite strength in depth in his squad. Obviously, time will tell.

Thats why I'm confident this season. Being able to leave Crouchy, Yossi and The Chief at home while beating Villa and having Babel, Voronin and Momo as substitutes shows the squad we have should cope with 2 games a week in tip top fitness.

Add Heinz who can cover centre back and we've got a squad. If Carra and Agger got injured at the same time I think we may have problems but bar that I'm confident.

. I suppose what I'm saying is that I haven't seen nearly enough evidence of the benefits of Rafa's rotation policy.

I agree that I would like to see less rotation, particularly at this early stage of the season. I don't think it can be argued though that his rotation policy played a massive part in us reaching two European Cup finals. Without it, we may well have been a few points closer to the top, but would not have won the trophies..

To be honest I wish the media and people alike would fuck off about rotation. He doesn't even rotate the spine of the team. How many times will Reina, Carragher, Agger, Finnan, Alonso, Gerrard and Torres be left out this season?

Rotating parts of the squad is Rafas way. End of.

Accept it.

Whether I'm right or wrong, my perception of Rafa's approach to rotation - as opposed to that used by other top managers - is that they tend to rotate when they have to (when a player is injured or properly knackered), whereas he rotates to anticipate possible problems. For example, I've read speculation that Gerrard may be "rested" tonight to make sure he's ready for Sunday. Whilst I'm in favour of any policy that actually works (ie, we win both games), I can't accept for one second that Steven Gerrard needs a rest after one competitive match this season. I suppose what I'm saying is that I haven't seen nearly enough evidence of the benefits of Rafa's rotation policy. What he seems to be suggesting in the interview above is that this is the first season when it will be able to work properly as it's only this season he's had the requisite strength in depth in his squad. Obviously, time will tell.

He did this at Valencia and claimed that by rotating players right from the beginning (ie not just when they're "knackered") means that he has a full squad of players still operating at 100% when it comes to the last quarter of the season. So Valencia were able to grind the competition to dust and win the title.

I think (some Statto can check) that his title-winning sides won far more points towards the end of the season than his rivals, even allowing for them being a few points ahead going into the run-in.

Obv this hasn't quite worked the same way, because although we're still finishing strongly (well, generally) we've been too far behind for it to make any difference.

To be honest I wish the media and people alike would fuck off about rotation. He doesn't even rotate the spine of the team. How many times will Reina, Carragher, Agger, Finnan, Alonso, Gerrard and Torres be left out this season?

Rotating parts of the squad is Rafas way. End of.

Accept it.

What did I write that precipitated a comment like that? Why isn't this a valid point of discussion? Comments like yours are a prime reason why this forum constantly descends into petty shite, rather than interesting debate. I've got absolutely no problem whatsoever with you disagreeing with me - and I'd enjoy the debate - but if you don't want to discuss it, then don't.

I think in the league we will see a settled eleven which is enough for me.

As long as it works then its acceptable.

As for Crouch if he has been moaning he has to remember who he used to play for and how many england caps did he have before us?

And also comming to terms with why he played less games last season, which might be his goal scoring improved but his overall level of performance was way down on his first season and it was that form that got him into the England team.

He did this at Valencia and claimed that by rotating players right from the beginning (ie not just when they're "knackered") means that he has a full squad of players still operating at 100% when it comes to the last quarter of the season. So Valencia were able to grind the competition to dust and win the title.

I think (some Statto can check) that his title-winning sides won far more points towards the end of the season than his rivals, even allowing for them being a few points ahead going into the run-in.

Obv this hasn't quite worked the same way, because although we're still finishing strongly (well, generally) we've been too far behind for it to make any difference.

There in lies the problem .

Whats the point in finishing so strong if we are out of it by September. Surely as rotation goes , its easier (and better) to twiddle with a winning confident team than a team under pressure and behind the rest from week 3

Playing his ideal starting 11 and getting some wins and confidence under the belts and then rotate .Rotating a losing team with a lack of belief and confidence is harder to do

And also comming to terms with why he played less games last season, which might be his goal scoring improved but his overall level of performance was way down on his first season and it was that form that got him into the England team.

Was it? I don't think it was that different.

Not bothered anyway, he isn't good enough to be first-choice striker at Liverpool, so he should accept what he's given. Benitez stuck with him when he didn't score a goal for 20 games, so I think he's owed some loyalty from Crouch.

I dont want to see rotation for the sake of rotation because he wants to keep players happy by giving them game time, that is bad rotation

good rotation is giving knackered players a rest and managing resources against lesser opposition

Gerrard cannot play every game but the game today there is £25m riding on the outcome, the ideal scenario would be let him play and then review the situation later

Torres cannot play every game either but again he can manage it by subbing at half time if necersarry

that's what I would to see more of actually, subbingg at half time, the argie coach did it a lot in the copa and it worked for them throughout the tournament. if a player clearly isnt performing (especially an attacking player) he's OFF at half time

What did I write that precipitated a comment like that? Why isn't this a valid point of discussion? Comments like yours are a prime reason why this forum constantly descends into petty shite, rather than interesting debate. I've got absolutely no problem whatsoever with you disagreeing with me - and I'd enjoy the debate - but if you don't want to discuss it, then don't.

Are you the media? It's not petty shite because I bet Rafa thinks the same to be honest. I mean, how many questions about rotation does he have to answer? Over and over again, every press conference, same answers, same questions same shite. Wasn't a dig at you Paul.

It's Rafas policy and the spine and heartbeat of the team is mostly the same anyway. You simply can't put the same eleven out, even in the prem because of other competitions which a club like ours should be going out to win. You have a game on saturday or sunday, then a champions league tie on a tuesday or wednesday, then you'll go and play at the weekend again. Travelling, training....Players aren't machines and you must look after them and try to keep everyone fresh for one of the most, if not the most demanding schedule in Europe. The only break you get is if you go out the FA Cup early. No christmas break, no nothing. Thats not even including international duty.

I'm sure Rafas best interests are the players and winning and I personally think too much is made of how he manages a side.