You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO Charley Knight and his workout tips

Anny Road

I was wondering Charlie if in your capacity as a personal trainer you could help me out with a small problem I have.

Whenever I go the the gym and do a leg workout (squats, extensions, curls) I am absolutely fucked for about three / four days. I can barely walk and look like I have got polio or some shit.

The day after the workout Im not so bad but the next couple of days are pure hell. They are even tender to the touch. Ive tried lots of things including stretching, cycling etc before and I usually use the bike to warm down. Ive ever tried Creatin because Ive heard it aids recovery.

The other day in desperation I warmed down for about twenty mins walking on the treadmill.

Guess what ?

Worse than ever I can barely get up the stairs.

I am not using especially heavy weights either.

Anyway if I cant sort this out Im thinking of fuking leg workouts off all together which will not be good.

Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

Im not Charlie but i can think of one Tip

dont do it ffs

seriously if you are fairly active and you are getting this then there may be an underlying fault somewhere else

if it was chest pain you where getting ater a work out would you ask a mate or see a Dr

Just a thought

Im not Charlie but i can think of one Tip

dont do it ffs

seriously if you are fairly active and you are getting this then there may be an underlying fault somewhere else

if it was chest pain you where getting ater a work out would you ask a mate or see a Dr

Just a thought

Its not joint pains or anything like that it just my muscles are useless for days. I feel like harry Kewell

Have you just started this regime? If so, as you get used to it, your recovery time should shorten. If not :dunno:

I laid off the squats for a while and it seemed ok (relatively) since I have started squats again 3-4 weeks ago it seems worse. There is no extreme pain, except when a three year old slams an elbow into a thigh, it just like my legs turn to jelly and are realy sore.

I laid off the squats for a while and it seemed ok (relatively) since I have started squats again 3-4 weeks ago it seems worse. There is no extreme pain, except when a three year old slams an elbow into a thigh, it just like my legs turn to jelly and are realy sore.

are you taking your thighs past parallell?

other wise try doing Sumo squats and lunges as an alternative it may help.

I get the same thing. I do Squats, dealifts, curls, extensions and calf raises.

I got soreness in my legs for the first four weeks (the first two particularly bad) but it's just delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).

I did my leg workout on Wednesday and today they are still aching and sore.

How long have you been doing leg workouts with this regime, and how many sets and reps are you doing each time.

I'm struggling to understand why you get such severe pain if you've been doing that for any longer than a couple of months though.

I was wondering Charlie if in your capacity as a personal trainer you could help me out with a small problem I have.

Whenever I go the the gym and do a leg workout (squats, extensions, curls) I am absolutely fucked for about three / four days. I can barely walk and look like I have got polio or some shit.

The day after the workout Im not so bad but the next couple of days are pure hell. They are even tender to the touch. Ive tried lots of things including stretching, cycling etc before and I usually use the bike to warm down. Ive ever tried Creatin because Ive heard it aids recovery.

The other day in desperation I warmed down for about twenty mins walking on the treadmill.

Guess what ?

Worse than ever I can barely get up the stairs.

I am not using especially heavy weights either.

Anyway if I cant sort this out Im thinking of fuking leg workouts off all together which will not be good.

Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

Hear me now, here be tha master. Sounds to me my friend that you are doing one of two things wrong (if not both). Firstly you could be lifting too much. The pain, as mentioned by my copper friend Chris Royle, is indeed DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. When you do any sort of resistance workout your muscle fibres tear causing stifness and pain for up to 72 hours after a workout. A cool down will not help in this instance. You said you are using a treadmill for 20 mins to cool down? This will make thinks much worse as you are using your leg muscles, therefore increasing the damage done to your already beasted leg muscles.

Second thing you could be doing wrong is your technique could be off. With resistance training, if your technique is wrong you fall into the habit and that is when injuries occur.

Try this:

Lower your weight and work over 3 sets of 12 - 16 reps. Nice and light for the first 3 - 4 weeks. Build up your weight as the weeks go on, but make sure is gradual. Ask a gym instructor to check out your technique - particularly squat and deadlifts. This will get your technique sharp and correct. I must stress though, if the instructor is about 6 ft 7, black as coal and answers to the name "Aki" DO NOT ASK HIM!!! Also fuel your muscles. Get a good quality protein drink to have pre and post work out. Creatine will not help your DOMS. Its primary funtion is to increase muscle contraction time, muscle power and muscle endurance. So avoid for now as it won't help your problem. A good, high quality protein shake will repair your muscles and help the ease the pain. Also drink loads of water, if your muscles are dehydrated they are weaker and more prone to be pulled and injured. Hope that helps, bill is in the post.

On CK's rec I'm using 100% whey protein with Very low carbs, after my weight workouts. I'm a few weeks in so I'll be able to see in a few more.

Also may be worth booking in with a physio. a local club say marine might be able to sort you out. Also why not book a session with ck just to check your technique

Thanks for all the tips lads. Nice one Charley. All good advice which I shall take on board. Pretty sure my techniques ok. The mate I train with is an ex marine PT instructor and knows his stuff. Funny though when I mentioned my leg problem he said its cos i'm a weak hom. Not much help.

I stopped the protein drinks a few months ago so that may be something to consider.

Anyway Im going to drop the weight and do more reps and stay with the routine for a good while.

Interesting about the warm down doing more damage, I always thought that you had to get rid of the lactic acid that sits in the muscles. Guess I was wrong. Anyone suggest an alternative warm down?

Charly, out of interest what do you have post work out? I do things pretty seriously these days and have a split of Malodextrin/Dextrose combined with Whey just after.

Also do you use L Glutamine? Some people swear by it recovery wise.

I think we just lost the whole board!

It depends what you want to do. If you are looking to gain some energy then malodextrin/dextrose is the business. Also a good isotonic drink and plenty of water.

On a muscle recovery tip glutamine is the fuckin dogs bollocks. A lot of Protein drinks have glutamine in but you can buy the capsules/tablets seperately which I would personally do. I don't go for hybrid supplements. (I.E Cyclone which is a mixture of Protein and Creatine). I think its just me and my way of thinking though. My attitude is if you want/need a protein shake, have a protein shake. If you want to say build a bit take your creatine seperately. A lot of these hybrid supplements go for quanity over quality if that makes sense. Whey protein is easily the best quality protein for muscle growth and repair so your on a winner if your using it.

If you have plateaued in your training and want to gain a bit of size/go to the next level/get stronger, then I recommend a good quality creatine supplement. Directly before a training session and directly after on a training day and once on a non training day. Take it orally as well. Mixing it with water detracts some of its qualities in my opinion and I have personally got much better results taking it orally than when I used to mix it. You can get capsules as well as power, which tend to taste nicer. Only use creatine if you've been training a while, and drink shit loads of water or you could really fuck up your kidneys. You really need to be training hard and in a strict regime to get the benefit of creatine. Its not something you can take and sit on your arse and wait to beef up with. Its main benefit is it makes you that bit stronger and will help you get out a few more reps. It increases muscle contraction time, adds size, retains water in the muscle and can help burn body fat. There are myths around it though. One is that you have to load up on it which is bollocks. Creatine is already in your muscles and body so why would you need to load up on it? It is a made up fact started by supplement companies to make you buy more. There is also a theory that is undecided that says if you don't cycle creatine (I.E keep taking it without break), your body becomes dependant on it and stops producing it. Again this hasn't been proven as creatine has only been on the market for about 20 years so hasn't been tested over any significant ammount of time.

It depends what you want to do. If you are looking to gain some energy then malodextrin/dextrose is the business. Also a good isotonic drink and plenty of water.

On a muscle recovery tip glutamine is the fuckin dogs bollocks. A lot of Protein drinks have glutamine in but you can buy the capsules/tablets seperately which I would personally do. I don't go for hybrid supplements. (I.E Cyclone which is a mixture of Protein and Creatine). I think its just me and my way of thinking though. My attitude is if you want/need a protein shake, have a protein shake. If you want to say build a bit take your creatine seperately. A lot of these hybrid supplements go for quanity over quality if that makes sense. Whey protein is easily the best quality protein for muscle growth and repair so your on a winner if your using it.

If you have plateaued in your training and want to gain a bit of size/go to the next level/get stronger, then I recommend a good quality creatine supplement. Directly before a training session and directly after on a training day and once on a non training day. Take it orally as well. Mixing it with water detracts some of its qualities in my opinion and I have personally got much better results taking it orally than when I used to mix it. You can get capsules as well as power, which tend to taste nicer. Only use creatine if you've been training a while, and drink shit loads of water or you could really fuck up your kidneys. You really need to be training hard and in a strict regime to get the benefit of creatine. Its not something you can take and sit on your arse and wait to beef up with. Its main benefit is it makes you that bit stronger and will help you get out a few more reps. It increases muscle contraction time, adds size, retains water in the muscle and can help burn body fat. There are myths around it though. One is that you have to load up on it which is bollocks. Creatine is already in your muscles and body so why would you need to load up on it? It is a made up fact started by supplement companies to make you buy more. There is also a theory that is undecided that says if you don't cycle creatine (I.E keep taking it without break), your body becomes dependant on it and stops producing it. Again this hasn't been proven as creatine has only been on the market for about 20 years so hasn't been tested over any significant ammount of time.

I followed one of your plans and my fucking arms fell off. What are you going to do about it? I want my money back, what do you take me for, some kind of cunt?

A 50/50 split between whey and a simple carb such as Dextrose or a complex carb like Malodextrin with weak bonds (hence easily absorbed like a simple carb) is the better option post work out imo.

As far as I understand it combining one of these carbs (or both) with whey will produce an insulin spike very quickly. Insulin is beneficial for muscle recovery and helps prevent catabolysis (the breaking down of muscle). I always want something quickly into my system to prevent this muscle loss, especially when the aim is growth.

If you're doing weights seriously and doing a good hard workout I wouldn't go for anything less personally.