You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer signing discussion

mickeydocs

What about Duff? He seems to be a forgotten man at the moment. A bit injury prone and past his peak, but still far better than anything we've got, and Premiership proven. If Newcastle paid £5m for him, maybe they could be tempted to sell him for £7-8m.

I remember when we were linked with him last summer before he signed for Newcastle - most people on here (including me) thought that it would be an unnecessary signing as we were ok at left mid. How quickly things change.

At one time he would have been such a good signing but he went to the Chavs and that was it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luca Toni. Prolific goalscorer. Italian players usually do pretty well in the Premiership.

Nicolas Burdisso. Top class Argie (!) defender which could replace Sami. Maybe not this summer though.

Juan Pablo Sorin. Probably one of the best left backs in the world.

When he's not having a bad (hair) day. I could swear he got tangled in it once.

I'm pretty positive that we'll be selling Crouch in the offseason... Fowler will probably retire.

So, we really need a big name or big young talent striker(who still performs) to be bought.

If Hyypia retires then the CB/striker position will need to be addressed urgently.

I think that Steven Davies would be an important signing, Local Liverpool lad, training at Tranmere... Pace coming out of his fucking ears. Just teach him to finish.

My wish list:

Alves

Huntelaar

Igor Akinfeev

Any of these Centrebacks: Pablo, Pique, Lugano, Mertesacker, Kompany.

One or two of these wingers(wide players): Ribery, Simao, Daniel Carvalho, Joaquin, Vicente, Vycheslav Hleb(Alek's little brother), SWP, or Lennon.

then a few youngsters that are promising like Kerlon, Oscar Ustari, Giovanni Dos Santos, Fernando Gago, Steven Davies(blazing fast young striker under Tranmere contract atm)

Mertesacker is a good shout,I like him.Pique-we dont sign mancs. Kompany is a good player also that is undoubted.Pablo is a good player but a bit slow from what ive seen of him.Lugano is a shithouse.

As for thos youngsters,Barca would never sell Dos Santos they have very very high hopes for him and as for Gago he just signed for Real Madrid the other week.

I forgot that the mancs signed Pique... Ugh. My top CB I would want is KOMPANY.

Forgot that Real signed Gago. That sucks... If not Gago then DENILSON. Brazilian and a workhorse. Reminds me of Momo but more offensively gifted.

I think Giovanni will be as good as Ronaldinho/Messi if not better. He won't be as pacey as Messi though. Gio might ask to be sold if he realises that he won't break into the squad behind all those class players and Rafa would play five in the midfield as his preference.

Four players needed:

Villa or Huntelaar

Alves or Ribery

Richards or Kompany

Mascherano

With that lot, plus no major players leaving, we'd have a good crack at the title.

We need Mascherano for what? I would agree that we need another winger with speed and crossing ability and a speedy defender, but we don't need another centre midfielder.

Villa

Alves

Ribery

Villa Kuyt

Ribery Alonso Sissoko Gerrard

Aurelio Carra Agger Alves

Pepe

GOLD!!!!!!

I realise that you're a WUM, but I have to agree with that. The only question marks about that team is leftback. And the ridiculous amount of money it would cost to assemble, but I guess that's where Dubai comes in.

We need Mascherano for what? I would agree that we need another winger with speed and crossing ability and a speedy defender, but we don't need another centre midfielder.

The players I listed were in order of need as I see it. It might easily be argued that we don't need Mascherano, given the other midfielders we have. In my view I think Rafa will pack the midfield on a few more occasions next season (assuming we have top notch width). I feel he will play 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-3 a bit more, giving some opportunities for another central midfielder.

Mascherano should be better than Zenden, so I'd upgrade the midfield with him.

So what? He's still an ace player and we can't go on signing only young players with talent.

We need some established top players if we ever want to win the league again.

Well. It all depends on the price really. What do you think Fiorentina would sell Toni for? £2m? I don't think so. And I wouldn't like us to pay £10m for a player that could help us 2 seasons.