You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

9/11 - where were you?

Michael Howard

I was in the hospital with my newborn two day old daughter watching one of those TVs you put a card in and get 30 secs viewing for a £10. At first, beacuse there was no sound I just thought fuck me some dosey bastard has flew his light aircraft into a building by accident, sadly within a few minutes I was thinking fuck me what sort of world is this little life coming into.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was taking my son to a speech therapy appointment, and there was a newsflash on the radio in the car. It hardly gave any details, so when I got into the clinic I rang my brother (Rargh) and asked him what was going on. While we were waiting to go in he rang me back and said "Liz, another plane has hit the other tower". I said "Bloody hell! What are the chances of that happening? They've been there all these years, and nothing's hit them and then two planes crash into them in 20 minutes. Do you reckon there's been a problem with their radar or something?" He went quiet for a bit and said "Liz, it's terrorists".

I was in sixth form college. Somebody came into the canteen and said that a bomb had gone off in one of the towers, (obviously before the footage of the first plane hitting was put on the telly) so everybody fucked off home to see what was going off. I got back home in time to see the second plane hit the tower. Cue watching the telly for the next seven hours. A truly horrific day. Said it on the other thread on the GF but seriously it was like watching a film or something. Awful.

Similar to the MH's first post I was two days into a new job. I had just started my new career in Planning at Mid Devon DC and had just relocated to Exeter the previous weekend. One of the Conservation Officers popped her head in mine and Connor's Office (I used to work with and share a private office one of my best mates from Uni) and told us something was going on. She said the planes had deliberately flow in to the WTC. Our first reaction was fuck that, as if. Sadly a click on the beeb news website told us much different.

We then spent the remainder of the day on the Internet trying to find or waiting for more details.

Online. An email dropped into my mailbox saying OMG a plane has accidentally hit the Twin Towers, I rushed to a tv and saw the second one hit and twigged this was no accident. Spent the rest of the day glued to the box expecting one to plough into the White House.

My one overriding memory is of the jumpers. A haunting image.

strangely enough i was actually at an airport!

got on the flight and everything and landed in dubai, waiting to catch a connecting flight to manchester. obviously with this happening and being all over the news we were kept in the airport all night, the amount of security checks then and there was incredible, didn't really know what had happened until i got onto the plane. surreal feeling when i realised what had actually happened.

I was in work. I didn't see it until I got to the Supporters Club for the Boavista game at night and the news being on and being totally horrified by it.

We were all sat round watching the news on the big screen and the bar staff changed the channel to WWF Wrestling. At the time nobody could believe they changed the channel and they were politely asked to put it back.

Looking back on that, it's pretty sureal & funny - The biggest terrorist attack and news story ever and somebody decided to put 6ft5 oiled up men touching each other up on instead. What do some people think sometimes?

Anyway, it's still the most horrific thing I've ever seen. It really hit home last year when I went to NYC and went to Ground Zero. The hole site isn't as far off as being as Stanley Park. They were still digging out the foundations in Novemember over 6 years on. Of all the massive buildings in NYC, the 2 biggest ones are missing. You have to see it yourself to be fully able to understand.

Guest PaddyBerger15

I was in HSBC on the corner of Dale Street. It was a slack afternoon at work, I was off to the match so dodged out early, was inside the bank and they had it on the telly in there, just stood watching for what seemed ages, it just looked like something out of a King Kong type film. Legged it home and watched the full horror unfold and be replayed over and over.

Me and the missus had been in London and were on our way home on the train, when we heard someone talking on the phone saying there'd been a bomb at the World Trade Centre.

When I got home, I watched the news continuosly for about 3 hours and then went to the match. Looking back, it was weird I went to the match looking forward to our first European Cup game a generation when in all hell was breaking loose a few thousand miles away.

Was working nights at the time so was asleep and a colleague at work called me to tell me to put the tv on.

Just sat there on the sofa amazed at what was happening right before my eyes.

My boss at work had a panic attack, thinking that we were also going to get attacked and spent the next 3 days off work with stress!

Went to NYC 18 months after the attack and went to the WTC remaining buildings and it was very surreal standning there looking down on the mess that remained.

Was in my last year at school and was supposed to be in double computing but had went outside to play footie with a few mates, one of the boys came out and told us but we didnt believe him. We went back in about 20 mins later and sat watching it for ages, I then went home and watched it for the rest of the day.

I was in a Geography lesson in secondary school; must have been year 8. I think I can prove the evils of a child's mind by saying that -

a) The majority of the class were just happy not to do work for 10 minutes while the teahcer told us.

b) My memory of a mate running up to me after an English Lesson and telling me that Gerrard had publicly stated that he was staying at Liverpool, and wasn't going to Chelsea, is far more vivid.

I was working in Blackburn. When the first one struck I just thought that was a bit clumsy of the pilot. Then when the 2nd one hit I couldn't believe it. What are the odds of it happening twice in one day.

Sometimes I am a little slow on the uptake.

And way to squander the goodwill George.