You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid vs Athletico

xabi the red

Which team to follow in Madrid?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which team to follow in Madrid?

• Real
    • Athletico

I'm about to move to Madrid and am planning to get some regular La Liga footy in. Question is: which team to go and watch? Real Madrid have quality players and play classy football, but does that override the arrogance of their transfer policy. All thoughts welcome.

also, if anyone happens to know of any sunday league teams out there, i'd appreciate contacts.

cheers.

They are called 'Atletico' mate not 'Athletico'. That may seem like a small technicality but they won't take too kindly to the wrong word! I have a Spanish mate(awaits NP's wrath) who supports Atletico. They are definitely more of a 'moral' club than Real so i'd go for them if I was you.

The Vicente Calderon is a really nice stadium as well. And you'll have Torres to watch which is always good.

The bernabeau is well worth a visit. However only in big games do the crowd get up for it. Its a far cry from the rag bags who go and watch footy in this country. The average madrid fan is well turned out, middle aged, smoking a massive cigar and reasonably mild mannered.

Evidently all the nutters go to watch athectico

The bernabeau is well worth a visit. However only in big games do the crowd get up for it. Its a far cry from the rag bags who go and watch footy in this country. The average madrid fan is well turned out, middle aged, smoking a massive cigar and reasonably mild mannered.

Evidently all the nutters go to watch athectico

sums me up to a tee. apart from the middle aged, mild mannered, well turned out bit. i have smoked a cigar before though.

thought atletico would be unanimous...just wouldn't mind seeing robinho play. as they wereall goimg mad about him when i was in rio three years ago.

They are called Atletico as Franco would not allow them to have a foriegn name when they were then called Athletico aviacion.

The colour of the kit came about because of thier basque roots, the 3 guys who founded the club were from the basque region hence the similar colours to Bilbao.

They have a fiercely held "us against the world" attitude akin to Millwall and they are known to be a dangerous bunch if you are an away fan.

Here endeth the lesson for today.

Have to be Atletico the way Real have the backing of the establishment and can get out of debt by simply selling there trainig ground for millions and then buy it back for peanuts. The banks love them and they are the club of "Spain". More a Bilbao man myself though.

Atletico new stadium

Masssive club Atletico but they have Real in the same City so doesn't help.

Isn't it Rayo Vallecano?

yep thought it looked wrong when I typed it ... anyway a nice three sided ground - they were in the top division for a couple of years. They have a Liverpool flag behind the goal at their end (with plenty of Che Guevera flags) and sing a song about meeting Liverpool in Europe one day. Play in the same colours as River Plate. Based in south west Madrid on a metro line.