You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should you expect additional pay to work a bank holiday?

I'm back working in the corporate world of fucking shite and detesting every second of it. I've been scheduled to work on Good Friday (our department is a live analytical one which has to function 7 days a week) and I've discovered that it's at flat rate.

When did that become OK? I'm working for a massive company who historically paid time and a half or time off in lieu for bank holiday work but it appears that any rights workers once had have been utterly steamrollered. 

Am I just a whining twat to be saying I should expect additional pay or should we all just accept that we're now a nation of proles doing as we're told? 

Good Friday was always a tricky one, in Ireland anyway. Never an official bank holiday but most business's treated it as such. Is it the same for Easter Monday?

It will depend on your contract, but yeah as others have said some kind of uplift in pay and a day off in lieu would be the right thing. The fact these little intrusions have snuck in is no surprise with the governments we’ve had in the last 30 years.

I get a fixed salary and can’t claim TOIL for evening meetings at my grade, which  annoys me a little given the vast majority of my staff can. Especially as I’m very much someone who works to live and my underlying feeling is you should be paid for all work you do. 

• Upvote 1

It's a tough one, I think it's morally right to pay you more but if the job depends on somebody always being in the office it's always going to be a luck of the draw thing on who gets the gig. I suppose it would be like a nurse or a copper getting the short straw and having to do it, 

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I'm back working in the corporate world of fucking shite and detesting every second of it. I've been scheduled to work on Good Friday (our department is a live analytical one which has to function 7 days a week) and I've discovered that it's at flat rate.

When did that become OK? I'm working for a massive company who historically paid time and a half or time off in lieu for bank holiday work but it appears that any rights workers once had have been utterly steamrollered. 

Am I just a whining twat to be saying I should expect additional pay or should we all just accept that we're now a nation of proles doing as we're told? 

Presumably as your department is seven days a week you will have to sometimes work weekends as well as other public holidays?

Therefore I would assume that your pay and conditions already incorporates all that?

Or maybe where you work is just Shit Co Ltd and you should get out of there. 

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's a tough one, I think it's morally right to pay you more but if the job depends on somebody always being in the office it's always going to be a luck of the draw thing on who gets the gig. I suppose it would be like a nurse or a copper getting the short straw and having to do it, 

I’ve got a couple of friends who work in healthcare and while they have to work weekends and holidays and be on call (no drinking) the benefits they get to make up for it are amazing. I’m surprised there are any staff actually at hospitals.

They get an extra day off if they are called in when on call - even if they get called back 10 minutes later to say they aren’t actually needed. If they stay in for over 4 hours they get 2 days off.

The grade I'm at in work now means that I can't be paid for overtime, just get time in lieu.

So I don't work overtime anymore.

Bank Holidays should always be extra rate, at least time and a half, and I agree you should get a day in lieu for each bank holiday you have to work.

22 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Presumably as your department is seven days a week you will have to sometimes work weekends as well as other public holidays?

Therefore I would assume that your pay and conditions already incorporates all that?

Or maybe where you work is just Shit Co Ltd and you should get out of there. 

Yep we run a skeleton team over a weekend. My pay and conditions are fucking shite so I'm 100% looking for something else. This lot are a shower of cunts employing nearly 150,000 people. 

3 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Yep we run a skeleton team over a weekend. My pay and conditions are fucking shite so I'm 100% looking for something else. This lot are a shower of cunts employing nearly 150,000 people. 

Not Diligenta is it mate?

I used  to work Christmas Eve in my last job to let the people with families have it off. We'd usually dart about 2pm, the radio would be on and there'd be shitloads of sweets all over the place, was class. 

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I used  to work Christmas Eve in my last job to let the people with families have it off. We'd usually dart about 2pm, the radio would be on and there'd be shitloads of sweets all over the place, was class. 

Sounds like when I worked in RSA in New Hall Place in town in the late 90's. I didn't have kids or a missus back then so I used to work all the skeleton shifts.

I’m working Good Friday and Easter Sunday and will be paid double time on both days.

When I first started more ‘public holidays’ as they’re known here were recognised but they’ve now been reduced to 6 over the year and they’re all paid at that rate

If your Holliday entitlement doesn't include bank holidays then it doesn't include bank holidays. Always been that way.

It's a bit crap, but I hope it balances out against other benefits. 

I work a four day week with longer days. We don't change our hours on BH weeks, it just becomes our non working day. But on the whole I like this way around.