You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 3 Burnley 1 - Match Reaction

The front three all found the net as the under strength Reds rallied in the second half to overcome a plucky Burnley side at Anfield to return to the top of the table.

TLW Editor Dave Usher is joined by Julian Richards to reflect on all of the major talking points from this game and to also discuss the exploits of Xabi Alonso in the Bundesliga. The lads also look ahead to a tricky looking 12.30 fixture at Brentford next weekend.

View full article

• Upvote 7

• dave u pinned this topic
9 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Only two people is unacceptable when you have access to a forum filled with great minds.

Did you even try to get Code on?

He ruined any chance he had of getting on when he started slandering Darwin,

I’m an hour in and I’ve checked my phone 6 times to make sure I haven't accidentally turned on the “2 drunk lads talking random shite” podcast in error. 

It’s like a classroom of 5 year olds when the teacher leaves the room for a few minutes and everything just goes to hell. 

Chris will have been sitting back listening to this, sipping tea from his TLW Podcast Host cup quietly repeating ‘That’s why. That’s why”. 

Still enjoyed it though. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

It’s like a classroom of 5 year olds when the teacher leaves the room for a few minutes and everything just goes to hell. 

We deserve much more credit than that. All the other 5 year olds had fucked off and we were the only two responsible enough to stay in class.

14 minutes ago, dave u said:

We deserve much more credit than that. All the other 5 year olds had fucked off and we were the only two responsible enough to stay in class.

Only so you could wreck the place with no one there to stop you

I always think more than 3 people on the podcast is too many as they all just keep talking over each other and that's very frustrating sad a listener.

Also, 2 people is too few sometimes.  I saw sometimes, but what I mean is if the two are forgetful, middle-aged, dodderers liable to head off in tangents that have nothing to do with anything.  

However, both are really enjoyable in their own way and should be mandated to happen every 2 months or so

Just a comment on the oft repeated mantra that you can’t not be 100% behind the Alonso for Manager bandwagon but then not offer up a different person’s name.  Can we please stop that?  As Dave said, it’s perfectly fine to have concerns about his experience.  And as probably the one seen as the biggest naysayer, I fully agree that those concerns are getting less and less, and as each week passes Alonso becomes more and more the obvious choice. But we can still offer up concerns without them being dismissed because I don’t know the quality of all managers out there in Europe.  I've said before I'd want Ancelotti as first choice solely because of the quality of the squad we have we need someone to come straight in and challenge.  I initially said DeZebri bit have moved away from that the more I looked into it.  But stop dismissing a persons concerns solely because they aren’t offering up what you deem acceptable alternatives. 

Now having said my Ancelotti view, all things considered, I’ve since moved to the Alonso train as he really does seem the best alternative out there for a long term-ish appointment, and that’s mainly because of how good a job he’s doing.  But that doesn’t mean I still don’t have concerns around his experience, especially now the pressure of them being favourites is on and he and his players have yet to experience that fully.  I'd love to be able to fast forward to the end of the season and see how he pans out.

One thing though, for years I railed against the idea that Alex Ferguson took over a terrible Man Utd team in 1985 when they were in the relegation zone precisely because they finished 4th the season before (tied on points with 2nd) so there was clearly a good squad there.  So the same applies with Alonso taking over a team in the relegation zone without pointing out that Leverkusen finished 3rd the season before, so again, clearly a good squad was already there.  But the way he has taken them on to the position they are in now is impressive in the extreme.  He is doing brilliantly and more and more looks like the obvious choice for us and particularly after the Bayern result. 

Now people, please selectively quote from the above so you can paint me as an anti-Alonso cunt.  Ta.

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic