You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (H) - Sat 23rd Dec 2023 (5:30pm)

Trumo

Fuckin hell. How can people be having a go at Nunez over that? I'm not a fan of his, think he's bottom half of the league quality. But he's not done a thing wrong tonight. Klopp started with a shit line up and shit tactics. Diaz shouldn't be near the side. Elliot deserves to start. Gomez at RB with Trent dropped. Big decisions that need to be made. Simple as. The team that played on Weds would have created more chances.

I'm not all doom and gloom. We've been shite for a while now so I'm not sure what people were expecting? Arsenal are currently a better side than us yet they didn't look it tonight. There's positives there. We're lacking a bit of quality in the final 3rd, have many injury problems and we are carrying an aging an ineffective Salah (who still scores), an over-rated Nunez and an ego-maniac Trent. If anything we are doing amazing to be where we are. 

Thought Trent played a decent game as right back today, not sure what else people expect. Not sure why Nunez would be culpable in any way for anything today? 
whole team put an absolute shift in despite several players unfortunately still being out of form. We went one nil down and came back. A lot to like about the performance 

1 minute ago, etho said:

Thought Trent played a decent game as right back today, not sure what else people expect. Not sure why Nunez would be culpable in any way for anything today? 
whole team put an absolute shift in despite several players unfortunately still being out of form. We went one nil down and came back. A lot to like about the performance 

Trent and Salah getting a lot of blame here. If Trent slots the great chance, both have a goal and an assist.

In a team that is struggling for form, goals mask weaknesses. They are vital to any success we will have

• Upvote 1

You’d have thought Arsenal battered us 5-0 judging by the comments on here. I thought we were the better side despite not playing anywhere near as well as we could have done in the final third. Trent finishes that chance 98 times out of 100

• Upvote 4

I thought that was the best we’ve played in the league in ages. Yes it was frustrating and some were misfiring, but we are defo improving. The defence is looking good, Gomez deserves his chance now, Endo has stepped up, Szobo, though not great, was better than he had been. I’m optimistic. We need to sort out a pattern that gets our strikers lots of service, we miss a lot but I reckon once we do sort it, there’ll be a bagful of goals from them. Definitely a penalty, the absolute var twats. Arsenal are a really good side and we were, just, better tonight. 

• Upvote 1

Endo shows the fallacy of our strict and overly rigid age policy in terms of signings.

Can you imagine the number of threads on here about him tonight if he was 21?

Superb performance and he’s proving a really smart signing at £16m.

Would be great if we could bring a defender and attacker of similar profile in during January with a view to winning a trophy or two rather than, you know, the sell-on potential championship. 

Surely that’s why clubs have scouting departments?

• Upvote 4

Problem is as much as we need signings I think they look at it and go,well Mo is back February and Jota back soon. We can't buy just for a month. They'll think the same in midfield. I think we will sign a defender and nothing else. 

Personally I'd look at a new forward, especially if Mo is going in the summer. I think someone like Rafinha would be a better fit with Nunez up top. 

2 minutes ago, KevieG said:

Szobo had some bad moments going forward even before he was out on his feet, seemed to be deffering to senior players when he should be taking it on himself, but he got through some amount of defensive work. 

Thought he was immense in terms of energy and getting a foot in. Night and day compared with Henderson last year. Suffering a bit from the absence of Mac Allister and Thiago being considered a squad member, because he’s not getting a rest.

Arsenal were better first 30 mins and last 15. We were better inbetween. 

We should have had a pen. 

We (Trent) should also have scored.

In isolation a point wasn't a disaster here. People are up in arms because of the dropped points at Luton and last weekend. Utd saw that game as their cup final and defended for their lives. Had we gotten the 1st goal they would have panicked and folded (look at today's game against West Ham for evidence).

I thought we pressed very well most of the game and I was confident of a win with 30 mins to go. The ref then decided that no more football was to be played, and singlehandedly destroyed the game from there on. Arsenal looked fresher than us (not surprisingly given their midweek break) last 15 mins. 

The subs didn't really work this time around, but Klopp has handled them really well so far this season, so he's due a day off.

As an aside: We haven't really had clinical finishers since Fowler, even Torres and Suarez at their peak were prone to a miss. Salah, Mane and Firmino regularly missed obvious chances even in their pomp. The all-round play of all players mentioned (Fowler excepted) was of a such quality that we (at least I) gladly overlooked deficiencies in front of goal.

The system(s) Klopp has played since his arrival has/have produced so many chances for the forwards that we've had plenty goal output even if our attackers have squandered plenty of them. The problem now is that we're not really getting as many chances, because our attacks break down before we get to the shooting part of them. Our pressing put us in 4-5 GREAT positions today, but we either f**ked up the pass or made the wrong decision. This makes the ONE time Trent missed today (should be one of our best finishers) particularly visible.

I was pretty pleased with today's effort, both from the players and the crowd. Arsenal are no mugs, but they'll suffer injuries and trouble along the way. just like we have. I still think it's City's title to lose (especially with de Bruyne coming back), but us and Arsenal will follow them pretty closely in the coming months. I actually think Spurs might have a shot of breaking into the mix as well.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Let's win at Burnley.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Problem is as much as we need signings I think they look at it and go,well Mo is back February and Jota back soon. We can't buy just for a month. They'll think the same in midfield. I think we will sign a defender and nothing else. 

Personally I'd look at a new forward, especially if Mo is going in the summer. I think someone like Rafinha would be a better fit with Nunez up top. 

Why do we have this attitude though? Theres trophies to be won NOW. City have had a dodgy first half of season. Arsenal are no great shakes. This league is winnable.

Its not winnable if we have no one to pick from!

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Why do we have this attitude though? Theres trophies to be won NOW. City have had a dodgy first half of season. Arsenal are no great shakes. This league is winnable.

Its not winnable if we have no one to pick from!

I'm not saying we do

We are limited with non HG players but sone of that's in us. Why keep a never fit Thiago and why the fuck did we give Adrian another contract. 

Again another issue is we hold spaces open for Doak,Lee,Bradley etc. Not wanting to block their path rather than sending them out on loan and telling them to force there way in. 

Look at the Diaz, his first 6 months he gave the forward line such a boost we were in contention to win everything. 

I thought we were the better side even though it’s clear we are still a work in progress we just have to take one the many chances we created and the stone wall pen we should have got has there been any word why it’s not given.The forward line is a problem there is no chemistry between them 

we we were so spoiled by Mane/Firmino/Salah  the drop off is huge.Still a point off the top before Xmas fixtures Up the unconvincing reds 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, lebron said:

Arsenal were better first 30 mins and last 15. We were better inbetween. 

We should have had a pen. 

We (Trent) should also have scored.

In isolation a point wasn't a disaster here. People are up in arms because of the dropped points at Luton and last weekend. Utd saw that game as their cup final and defended for their lives. Had we gotten the 1st goal they would have panicked and folded (look at today's game against West Ham for evidence).

I thought we pressed very well most of the game and I was confident of a win with 30 mins to go. The ref then decided that no more football was to be played, and singlehandedly destroyed the game from there on. Arsenal looked fresher than us (not surprisingly given their midweek break) last 15 mins. 

The subs didn't really work this time around, but Klopp has handled them really well so far this season, so he's due a day off.

As an aside: We haven't really had clinical finishers since Fowler, even Torres and Suarez at their peak were prone to a miss. Salah, Mane and Firmino regularly missed obvious chances even in their pomp. The all-round play of all players mentioned (Fowler excepted) was of a such quality that we (at least I) gladly overlooked deficiencies in front of goal.

The system(s) Klopp has played since his arrival has/have produced so many chances for the forwards that we've had plenty goal output even if our attackers have squandered plenty of them. The problem now is that we're not really getting as many chances, because our attacks break down before we get to the shooting part of them. Our pressing put us in 4-5 GREAT positions today, but we either f**ked up the pass or made the wrong decision. This makes the ONE time Trent missed today (should be one of our best finishers) particularly visible.

I was pretty pleased with today's effort, both from the players and the crowd. Arsenal are no mugs, but they'll suffer injuries and trouble along the way. just like we have. I still think it's City's title to lose (especially with de Bruyne coming back), but us and Arsenal will follow them pretty closely in the coming months. I actually think Spurs might have a shot of breaking into the mix as well.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Let's win at Burnley.

I agree with most of this but I think part of the reason klopps subs have worked mostly is because our starting tactics  diminish us. We are a side who too often regardless of how superior we are in every single position manage to make inferior sides our equals for far too much of a game... and our forwards are largely fucking shit infront of goal.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

All the forwards are a major concern, but Gakpo gets a pass as he's barely played. 

Trent, needs someone to tear an absolute strip off him and tell him to stop trying to be something he clearly is not - and Jürgen needs to grow some balls and deal with this (and the Salah) situation.

The Salah what?

Scoring a worldie and putting another one on a plate for Trent to win the game is a problem? Is that what you are saying?

I had a look at Martinelli this game, he’s actually pretty shite, heads down and run straight forward seems to be his one trick. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Code said:

The Salah what?

Scoring a worldie and putting another one on a plate for Trent to win the game is a problem? Is that what you are saying?

I had a look at Martinelli this game, he’s actually pretty shite, heads down and run straight forward seems to be his one trick. 

He shows a couple of flashes per game. But even you can't be saying he looks the same player he has been for us. He's still the best forward we have and puts up the numbers but it's moments in a game now not dominating the 90 minutes

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Endo, Konate, Gomez = good.

Rest - gash. Especially Salah, even though he scored and Trent who just fuckin strolled about as arrogant as fuck. Needs a kick in the hole.

Salah can't even control the fucking ball anymore. Diaz getting injured might actually be a blessing in disguise - he shouldn't be near the first 11 in this form. 

Anyhow a point isn't the end of the world. Not ideal to be winning titles but I don't think winning the title was this seasons aim. Solidify a CL spot and then invest again. 

Salah should have been awarded a penalty when he chipped the ball past Ødegaard, a penalty he would have scored .

He should have had an assist when he did everything right and put it on a plate for Trent.

He scored a worldie.

But he as gash according to you? Is this satire?

• Upvote 2