You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rugby World Cup 2023

Bjornebye

Don't support England but have soft spot for them .  England have one of the above average to good backlines in the competition with a forward pack that can secure them ball. The tactics they are employing are criminal and disheartening . Could understand if there was an issue but this is all down to the coaching set up .  This is damage limitation ,due to the draw they will get to quarters and will have a go at whoever they meet there . This is anti Rugby designed to meet a corporate KPI of getting to quarter finals as a minimum ( to save their jobs and massive contracts).  Couldn't watch it embarrassing.  

• Upvote 2

Great physical game of rugby that but it is still only a group game.

Ireland have to regroup and play an very good Scotland team.  I think they'll win but should they do so it'll then be 3 big, tough games in a row with the QF.

Irealnd have gotten the better of New Zealand in recent fixtures but we all know how the Irish are in knock out games at the World Cup.  Both QF games in that side of the drawer were always going to be massive but I wonder if facing France without Dupont is now ever so slightly the more favourable tie? 

England score loads of tries but were still dogshit.  As soon as they face anyone decent they'll get beat. 

Huge game tomorrow with Wales v Australia.  Could Wales send the Aussies packing in the group stages.  Both are poor teams so it'll be who turns up on the day.

15 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

Ireland have to regroup and play an very good Scotland team.  I think they'll win but should they do so it'll then be 3 big, tough games in a row with the QF.

Irealnd have gotten the better of New Zealand in recent fixtures but we all know how the Irish are in knock out games at the World Cup.  Both QF games in that side of the drawer were always going to be massive but I wonder if facing France without Dupont is now ever so slightly the more favourable tie? 

England score loads of tries but were still dogshit.  As soon as they face anyone decent they'll get beat. 

Huge game tomorrow with Wales v Australia.  Could Wales send the Aussies packing in the group stages.  Both are poor teams so it'll be who turns up on the day.

Character has always played a huge part with Ireland in the World Cup, I don't think they have any shrinking violets in this side. That was a phenomenal win against a side they might well meet again in this tournament. France are probably the most dangerous. Fuck New Zealand. 

16 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

Ireland will have been physically drained by that game. Its a case of them being able to fully recuperate and go again. Any lingering effects from tonight and they'll be struggling come knock out stages, no matter who they face. Sexton was totally battered tonight, even allowing for his age. An interesting couple of weeks ahead. The Wales/Aus game should be a Cracker too, even for the sake of pride. 

1 minute ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Ireland will have been physically drained by that game. Its a case of them being able to fully recuperate and go again. Any lingering effects from tonight and they'll be struggling come knock out stages, no matter who they face. Sexton was totally battered tonight, even allowing for his age. An interesting couple of weeks ahead. The Wales/Aus game should be a Cracker too, even for the sake of pride. 

@Anubis Come on then shitbag 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Character has always played a huge part with Ireland in the World Cup, I don't think they have any shrinking violets in this side. That was a phenomenal win against a side they might well meet again in this tournament. France are probably the most dangerous. Fuck New Zealand. 

Dangerous to write off New Zeland (even if it is the worst NZ team at a World Cup) They are probably the 4th best team at the WC behind Ire, SA & France but if they turn up and perform they'll beat anyone still. Its a pity the likely QF lineup isn't the SF lineup. Either way 2 huge games & virtually 50:50.

If they do meet again in the final Ireland will need to stretch SA more as they'll probably pick Pollard at 10 and just go for pens and drop goals to put scoreboard pressure on.

1 minute ago, George Costanza said:

Dangerous to write off New Zeland (even if it is the worst NZ team at a World Cup) They are probably the 4th best team at the WC behind Ire, SA & France but if they turn up and perform they'll beat anyone still. Its a pity the likely QF lineup isn't the SF lineup. Either way 2 huge games & virtually 50:50.

If they do meet again in the final Ireland will need to stretch SA more as they'll probably pick Pollard at 10 and just go for pens and drop goals to put scoreboard pressure on.

Let's just enjoy the night and hope Ireland win it eh. x

6 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

TBH I'd say right now given recent form the Jocks are arguably 5th/6th best team. First half they matched SA and we're probably the better team.  If Russell is on his game there's every chance they can cause an upset.

Not bothered who wins in the Wales/Aus game, I would like Fiji to qualify though as they are a breath of fresh air and there's no reason why they couldn't win the QF tie either.

Still wincing from some of those collisions, great game.

Think Ireland will beat Scotland fairly handily, and would fancy them against NZ or France.

Still think SA would beat them even after tonight. Thought Ireland were very close to capacity but SA had a couple of gears to go up. 

Caught some of the Portugal v Georgia game by mistake, great fun.

The all blacks will be slightly happier with that result, the French less so.

The 2 quarters in that half of the draws are both final level matches, kind of sad they won’t make the real late stages.

Last nights game for intensity, power and sheer bloody mindedness, could or should, have graced the final.

7 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

The all blacks will be slightly happier with that result, the French less so.

The 2 quarters in that half of the draws are both final level matches, kind of sad they won’t make the real late stages.

Last nights game for intensity, power and sheer bloody mindedness, could or should, have graced the final.

Agree with summary however for a rugby novice / neutral it would have seemed there were loads of mistakes from both sides last night so as a spectacle I doubt it hit rhe mark . For those who know or have experienced it the sheer physicality  from both sides caused most of the errors my chest sore from holding my breath.  Just wonder I this takes a lot out of Ireland for the Scotland match ?  On the evidence of last night probably would habe liked to have played them first and took a few weeks to get over it . 

England game same old tactics until it was blatantly obvious the talent in the back line . Really should have been racking up 3 figure score but maybe just maybe this will force the coaches hand and they are left with no option but to play an expansive game .

Hope Fiji and Wales do the business today.