You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

These Just Stop Oil protesters

Kevin D

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/19/just-stop-oil-spray-orange-paint-over-net-zero-department/

A Just Stop Oil supporter was assaulted by a motorist who was involved in a car crash with a pregnant woman next to a slow march in London.

Daniel Knorr, 21, was punched and kicked by a man who claimed he was being recorded at the scene of a protest in Cromwell Road, South Kensington.

Video obtained by MailOnline shows a woman who was travelling with the man told Just Stop Oil supporters “stop now I’m pregnant” seconds before Mr Knorr was attacked, which was also filmed.

In a video shared by Just Stop Oil after the incident, Mr Knorr said he bore no ill will towards the man following the attack, which he claimed took place after he was involved in a car crash.

‘No ill sentiment’

The Metropolitan Police said it was aware of the footage when contacted by the Telegraph.

Speaking after the assault, Mr Knorr told MailOnline: “I haven’t said anything to the police and I don’t plan to, but I’m afraid that the police might go after this man.

“I feel no ill sentiment or ill will against him. It’s a difficult situation for anyone to be in and it’s bound to create frustration.”

Just Stop Oil said: “Daniel was assaulted while marching this morning, and remained nonviolent throughout. Disruption is difficult, but it’s necessary.”

Last month, Mr Knorr was carried off the field at Lord’s by England cricketer Jonny Bairstow after activists momentarily disrupted play.

Bairstow was called a “hero” after removing the 21-year-old from the pitch as ground staff cleaned orange powder from the square before the second Ashes Test was able to resume.

Mr Knorr was charged with trespass along with Judith Murray, 69, and Jacob Bourne, 26. They are due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on July 31.

The incident comes after Just Stop Oil activists earlier sprayed orange paint over a building used by the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero.

Video footage shared by the group shows two supporters, Matthew Cunningham, 25, and Imogen May, 24, targeted the government office in Victoria Street by spraying paint from fire extinguishers on Wednesday.

The environmental group’s latest protest comes just two days after staging its biggest day of slow marches across London as part of what it described as an “escalation of resistance” to prevent oil and gas extraction.

Just Stop Oil tweeted: “This morning, 2 supporters of Just Stop Oil have painted the department responsible for issuing over 100 new oil and gas licences in the UK.”

In a video shared by Just Stop Oil, Mr Cunningham and Ms May set out their reasons for taking action.

Mr Cunningham said: “This department oversees our energy policy and we know from last month that the Climate Change Committee, the Government’s independent watchdog for climate change policy, denounced the Government’s efforts against climate change.

“They said that they were far less sure that the government would achieve net zero than it had been just one year ago and they specifically said that the government needs to stop issuing new oil and gas licences because it is not compatible with a net zero future.

Ms May said she targeted the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero because it was “failing on their only purpose”.

The department has been approached for comment.

On Monday, Just Stop Oil protesters staged a series of slow marches across the capital which saw more than 200 demonstrators block traffic in at least 14 different locations.

More than 20 people were arrested and over 180 removed by police while motorists were filmed shoving protesters and grabbing banners.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2023/07/21/open-2023-just-stop-oil-protesters-arrested/

Just Stop Oil protesters were wrestled away by a player before being grappled to the floor by marshals amid drama on the 17th green at the 151st Open.

American Billy Horschel, the world No 45, ignored warnings from the R&A not to get involved as he blocked a woman running on with orange powder.

The protesters – two men and one woman – tried to gain access to Hoylake’s famous par-three 17th where many believe this Open could be decided. A fourth man, a suspected accomplice, was also arrested after activists breached the lower corner of a grandstand and ran towards the green.

Spectators on the stands erected around the hole, which only measures 136 yards, booed the protesters before police eventually led the suspects away.

Witnesses, who captured some of the scenes on their mobiles, praised the no-nonsense actions of Horschel and the marshals. A plume of orange dust could be seen in the air as the protest unfolded, but stewards quickly cleared marks left on the green with a leaf blower.

Despite ignoring R&A guidance about “not doing a Bairstow”, Horschel will face no action from authorities for intervening.

One eyewitness, Claire Grimwood, from Hull, told The Telegraph that Horschel and a marshal had tackled one of the men: “The marshal ran on and got to the protester who had some orange spray, and wrestled him to the ground and then sat on him in the long grass. But the police couldn’t see them in the long grass so they had to call them over.”

She added that Horschel was cheered when he helped to remove a woman in a white top before she was handed over to police. One of the male protesters was led away in handcuffs. Another man held at the scene was ushered away without being cuffed after security officials told police to be discreet.

“I saw one run in from the bottom of the grandstands on the right of the green and two from the left and they had canisters of orange powder or something. They didn’t get right up to the flag. They were just to the edge of the green and then the marshals got hold of them and pulled them away.”

Around 20 police officers eventually descended on the scene, including some in plain-clothes.

Every eye-witness who spoke to The Telegraph had little sympathy for Just Stop Oil, which has also disrupted Wimbledon, the Ashes, rugby and snooker in recent months.  

“There were a few boos from the crowd,” said Matty Campbell, 41, from Leeds. Gary Richards, 61, from the Wirral, added: “I think there’s ways and means to express themselves, but holding a tournament to ransom is not the way forward.”

The group playing the hole at the time was Horschel, Canadian Corey Conners and Swede Alex Noren. After completing his round Horschel declined to comment to the media.

A spokesperson for the R&A said: “A protester was quickly apprehended on the 17th hole and is one of four people who have been arrested by the police. Play was not disrupted and we would like to thank the marshals, players and other spectators for their vigilance and understanding as the protesters were removed.”

Players and caddies competing at the Open were via a letter from the R&A earlier this week not to take matters into their own hands should Just Stop Oil strike, with a huge security operation in action.

Significant numbers of uniformed and plain-clothes police are patrolling the championship at Hoylake as part of what the R&A described as a “robust” plan to counter sabotage attempts.

Shortly before the disruption, an unlicensed drone went up above the course,  prompting Merseyside Police to swoop to arrest its suspected pilot at a nearby location.

On 01/07/2023 at 18:48, Bjornebye said:

I just want one of them to spark out some angry motorist who starts dragging them around like a bully 

Bullies? You think?

How would you respond if you were on a final warning at work and were running late? Or you had your parent in the car on the way to the hospital? Or your mrs was in labour and you’re en route to A&E? Get out and sit cross legged with them?

There will be people on the edge stuck in those queues, just trying to get by in life and dealing with an assortment of stress and burden. Some who have got out and dragged them aside might even support the cause in general.

• Upvote 2

On 15/07/2023 at 11:00, Harry's Lad said:

I completely agree that something has to be done, but as Paulie says, noble cause, poor execution.

People may well agree with them in regard to stopping oil production and climate change but their methods are pissing people off.

Sooner or later one or more of them are going to get filled in and it will be interesting to see the public's reaction to that.

I've a feeling though that most will say serve them fucking right and not just Tories either.

Totally agree mate.

I would say it’s quite funny that now that Wimbledon/The Proms etc are being affected, you’ve got more and more of the people who weren’t arsed when it was the snooker/football etc that are now up in arms with it.

Quite similar to all the Tory government backers who quickly changed their tunes when they started fucking around and filling their own pockets with their hard earned in the form of mortgage payments and so on.

”It was a good point when they were doing it at football grounds, but you can’t mess with the proms. Enough is enough”

5 minutes ago, Curly said:

Bullies? You think?

How would you respond if you were on a final warning at work and were running late? Or you had your parent in the car on the way to the hospital? Or your mrs was in labour and you’re en route to A&E? Get out and sit cross legged with them?

There will be people on the edge stuck in those queues, just trying to get by in life and dealing with an assortment of stress and burden. Some who have got out and dragged them aside might even support the cause in general.

Yeah I think they are bullies. If I was in a situation like that then I'd tell them and ask them to move I wouldn't drag them across the road and boot them on the floor. If they didn't and I really needed to get past then I'd use force. 

Obviously there will be times when they need running over but by and large the same wankers dragging them around and kicking them wouldn't do it if they thought they'd get a dig back. 

19 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah I think they are bullies. If I was in a situation like that then I'd tell them and ask them to move I wouldn't drag them across the road and boot them on the floor. If they didn't and I really needed to get past then I'd use force. 

Obviously there will be times when they need running over but by and large the same wankers dragging them around and kicking them wouldn't do it if they thought they'd get a dig back. 

Yeah, you’re probably right on some of them, but as I say, if I was on the edge and rushing somewhere and came to that, I’m not sure there would be any point getting out and talking them through my mum’s appointment at the hossy to see if they were ok with that, because they wouldn’t agree to move - that’s what they’ve said and that they won’t make allowances as it weakens their point. 

As Harry said - great cause with a valid point - they’ve fucked the execution though and probably lost support. Not in the cause in general I’d hope, but definitely the movement

On 15/07/2023 at 12:39, Bob Spunkmouse said:

What about when they’re in the back of an Ambulance that can’t get to the hospital because there’s a forest fire or flood again?

the world is currently burning and flooding and nobody gives a shit but they’re furious if someone slightly delays their leisure activities. 

all fucking power to them 

Leisure activities in an ambulance? Fuck spending a weekend with you

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Curly said:

Yeah, you’re probably right on some of them, but as I say, I’d I was on the edge and rushing somewhere and came to that, I’m not sure if he getting out and talking them through my mum’s appointment at the hossy to see if they were ok with that, because they wouldn’t agree to move - that’s what they’ve said and that they’ll not make allowances as it weakens their point. 

As Harry said - great cause with a valid point - they’ve fucked the execution though and probably lost support. Not in the cause in general I’d hope, but definitely the movement

It always seems to be burly dickheads in hi viz dragging scrawny people across the road. Like I said, every situation is different. They would piss me off and all but I'm dying for one of them to spark someone out. Assuming the one they spark out is a bully of course. 

On 15/07/2023 at 15:25, Strontium said:

The thing is, 80% of people agree that climate change is an issue, so they're preaching to the converted. So what's the purpose of it all?

That’s a good point. There’s not enough action though I suppose.

I was flicking through the stations on a long drive the other day - don’t usually bother with the radio anymore as it just riles me, but I was bored of my music and podcasts.

Dipped into that talktv as I’d never seen it before, but now assume it’s just talk radio / talk sport murdoch run. It was fucking horrendous. The guy hosting was talking to like minded whoppers who were saying “the UK only account for 1% of the damage, so whats the point if other countries like India/China/USA don’t get to a neutral position too?”

As an aside, they then had a Welsh Tory and some other Tory on to slam the Welsh Labour run government, saying how all the issues with the Welsh NHS are down to labour being in power there, not central government. Just fucking lying. I had to turn it off. It had moved beyond morbid curiosity to wanting to roll the car off the road 

29 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If I was taking my missus to A&E and she was bleeding out and had minutes to live........ extreme reasons. 

Luckily this is a hypothetical. In real terms you might be the 7th or 21st car that is blocked.

Further reality is someone is going to get run over and it won't be because their wife is bleeding out in the passengers seat.

32 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It always seems to be burly dickheads in hi viz dragging scrawny people across the road. Like I said, every situation is different. They would piss me off and all but I'm dying for one of them to spark someone out. Assuming the one they spark out is a bully of course. 

Doubt it, most of them look like Walter from the Beano.

16 hours ago, Curly said:

Yeah, you’re probably right on some of them, but as I say, if I was on the edge and rushing somewhere and came to that, I’m not sure there would be any point getting out and talking them through my mum’s appointment at the hossy to see if they were ok with that, because they wouldn’t agree to move - that’s what they’ve said and that they won’t make allowances as it weakens their point. 

Stop moaning and get behind the lads.

• 3 months later...

Getting the old band back together:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/30/just-stop-oil-protest-metropolitan-police-parliament-square/

Police took around 40 minutes to tackle dozens of Just Stop Oil activists off the road despite outnumbering them.

Some 65 activists from the eco-group “slow marched” across all three carriageways around Parliament Square, Westminster, at 10am on Monday, causing traffic gridlock.

The Metropolitan Police appeared to have been caught off guard, as they frantically called for reinforcements while activists continued with the slow marching – walking at a snail’s pace along the road – until forcibly removed.

Despite vowing to crack down with swift arrestsunder the Public Order Act, the Met’s 80 officers and 20 police vehicles took 40 minutes to remove them all from blocking traffic.

Scotland Yard said in a statement that they made 62 arrests under Section Seven of the Act, meaning “interference with use or operation of key national infrastructure”, and said they “arrived four minutes after receiving the initial report”.

Tensions flared at points with a white van driver and a coach angrily barging past the Just Stop Oil road blockade, while a taxi driver told them: “You’re disgusting, all of you – my passengers have got a train to catch.”

The taxi driver told the Telegraph: “Not only have we had the Palestinian march at the weekend causing havoc, now we’ve got this – costing people money – and I’ve got a police officer taking photos of my cab like I’m in the wrong.”

Some passers-by applauded the group, but another onlooker shouted from the pavement: “Get a job and have a wash. Because you’re all rich you don’t have to work, but these people do you know.”

Eventually police took to ripping the group’s infamous orange banners away from them and admonishing the activists for “obstructing us further” by lying down on the pavement after being placed in handcuffs. 

But a protester told them: “It was safe until the police arrived.”

Several elderly women were seen being carried spreadeagle into police vans by officers as they refused to comply.

In chaotic scenes, groups of foreign tourists on guided tours of Westminster watched visibly aghast as the protesters wearing hi-vis clothing sprawled across the pavement and carriageway.

Just Stop Oil are resuming daily slow marches in London from this week and have vowed to continue “until we win”, of their demand that the Government scraps all new oil and gas licences.