You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (A) - Mon 22nd Aug 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Just now, Anubis said:

I see the Superfans are bang at it because it’s now obvious that there are clear problems that people have pointed to in the first two games, and they’re a bit testy about having to admit it. 

I think most people on here are reasonable enough. We clearly have problems, but for every superfan, there’s a weirdo who only posts on here when things are going bad for us.

The midfield stuff has been done to death, but Konate and Matip are colossal losses, and our best attacker left in the summer. We really miss Jota too.

It would be brilliant if we could shift Keita and bring somebody else in, but surely that should have been done two months ago.

Who knows where we end up now? 

Just now, Aventus said:

I get that losing Mane was a bit of a blow but we went into this missing Nunez, Jota, Konate, Matip, Thiago, Keita, Oxlade and Jones. 

Having Mane, minamino, and Origi wouldn't have made much difference tonight. 

Missing Keita,  Oxlade,  and Jones? You forgot Larry,  Curly, and Moe. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aventus said:

I get that losing Mane was a bit of a blow but we went into this missing Nunez, Jota, Konate, Matip, Thiago, Keita, Oxlade and Jones. 

Having Mane, minamino, and Origi wouldn't have made much difference tonight. 

Are you joking?

Mané would have been the best player on the pitch. Minamino is better than Elliot, Hendo or Milner. Origi is a better threat than Bobby. All 3 in our side and we win that game tonight. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Who knows where we end up now? 

Somewhere between 2nd and 5th, with the latter looking most likely at the moment. 

I agree with you re Mane. I think a lot of people undervalued his directness, willingness, doggedness, and several other words finishing in "ness".

That said, our problems are clearly in midfield. We've slept walked into this situation, and should have dealt with it gradually over the last 2/3 years. 

Big week now, because without investment we're in for a really shit season. Klopp, for all his brilliance, was only ever going to mask Mr Potato and the former woman's bullshit for so long. They're cunts. Bullshitting, smarmy cunts. And it's going to reflect badly on Klopp if he isn't careful. I think the recent Keita stuff shows that he realises as much. 

Discount the covid season and that's our worst ever performance under Klopp. Absolutely shameful display. They got outworked by a United team who have been the league's laughing stock for their lack of effort. They couldn't cope with the pressing of a United team who have been the league's laughing stock for their inability to establish a coherent or effective press. It's not often you'd question the commitment and effort of some of these players but tonight they were shitting out of tackles all over the place. United players won every 50-50. That moment near the end when Rashford went through 3 different half-assed challenges was genuinely embarrassing.

Firmino is done at this level. I genuinely don't even know what he's meant to be doing any more. He barely even resembles a footballer. He doesn't seem to be good at anything any more. We'd have been better off keeping Origi or Minamino. I love Milner but he was awful all night. God knows how he stayed on longer than Henderson. Henderson wasn't great but at least he wasn't misplacing every single pass, losing out in every single tackle, or miscontrolling the ball every time it came to him. Gomez can't ever complain about a lack of minutes again if that's how he performs when he gets the chance. Trent was even worse than he was at Fulham. Genuinely terrible at both ends of the pitch. I lost count of how many times he overhit simple balls and Klopp should fine him for that ridiculous shot he had near the end.

They should be stripped of the term mentality monsters after tonight. Even when they got a goal back near the end there seemed to be no belief that they could get a goal. It was like Fulham all over again where the final minutes were just scrappy as fuck with no coherence to any of our attacks. Then again there hadn't been all night so I'm not sure why I expected that to suddenly magically change. 

There must be something wrong with my eyes because their second goal looked blatantly offside on every single replay I saw. As soon as I saw the first replay I thought we'd got away with one and none of the replays I saw afterwards made me think otherwise.

A ref with any balls would have sent off Fernandes for hanging on to the ball and refusing to give it back for so long after we scored, but it would be silly to ever expect one of the clowns who ref in this league to actually do their job properly.

But ultimately this was all on our players. Everyone knew United would be looking to make a fast start. All they had to do was match them for effort and intensity. Instead it was more of the disorganized, passive crap that we saw at Fulham in the first game. Klopp might keep trying to downplay it but these slow starts are becoming a major concern. At the end of last season we were able to always turn it around. This year we haven't and the title challenge is done after 3 games as a result.

I don't want to panic or overreact, but something looks very wrong with us at the moment. I could have maybe understood this performance and result if we'd performed in and won the first 2 games. It could have perhaps been put down to complacency like at Leicester last season. But they'd already fucked up twice. They should have been chomping at the bit to make up for it. Instead they produced a performance like that. If that game didn't demonstrate that we need reinforcements being brought in then I don't know what will.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Somewhere between 2nd and 5th, with the latter looking most likely at the moment. 

I agree with you re Mane. I think a lot of people undervalued his directness, willingness, doggedness, and several other words finishing in "ness".

That said, our problems are clearly in midfield. We've slept walked into this situation, and should have dealt with it gradually over the last 2/3 years. 

Big week now, because without investment we're in for a really shit season. Klopp, for all his brilliance, was only ever going to mask Mr Potato and the former woman's bullshit for so long. They're cunts. Bullshitting, smarmy cunts. And it's going to reflect badly on Klopp if he isn't careful. I think the recent Keita stuff shows that he realises as much. 

That somewhere between 2nd and 5th is probably nailed on if we can get players like Thiago and Matip fit for extended periods.

If we can't then it is far, far from nailed on.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Carvalho and Elliott look like they will be players in the coming years. Just clinging for positives here. Shit performance.

Has the look of January to March 2021 over the coming weeks. 

Carvalho maybe, Elliot no. Elliot is neat and tidy but that's it. He'll have a good career but won't reach the heights we require from our players. 

We didnt lose this game tonight in the first 15 minutes, we lost it in the first game against Fulham and maybe Palace at home? Fulham wanted the win more than us and went for it. Cant say Palace wanted it more than us because that's our home game and 1-0 up against 10 men, should really have seen the game out.

And united showed clearly they wanted it more than us tonight which is just bemusing because we knew what the atmosphere would be like not to mention what was at stake.

It's not the first time we've been slow out of the traps under Jurgen and I just dont get it. It's not just the first 15 of a game either, we were undone again tonight in the first 10 of the 2nd have as well.

They were first to every ball and closed us down very quickly. We were sloppy on the ball all night none more so than Trent. WTF is going on there? Every ball is either over hit or played at 100mph. OK, bit of an exaggeration but it looked that way tonight and not for the first time.

Virgil seems to be having a bad run of form. Maybe all the games he's played since pickford destroyed his knee are beginning to take their toll? Ive never seen the boy look so dodgey.

I find it hard to believe Alli sold himself out on Sancho's opener. A keeper shouldnt be going down like that just because the player has cut the ball like that and he's given him an open goal to roll the ball into.

The decision to drop Fabinho backfired spectacularly and united just seemed to swarm past Hendo and Milner. Up front, Bobby was anonymous even if it is hard playing a full 90 when you've been out for some games?

It's hard missing Sadio but there's no point crying about that as the lad wanted to try his luck elsewhere. But when his replacement acts the tit and gets himself suspended for 3 games, what can you do?

Talking of tits and suspensions, how the fuck did fernandez finish that game without a 2nd yellow? He wiped out Harvey, was it in the first half and Oliver just gives a foul. And that after he'd carded Trent when Malacia made himself the meat in a sandwich.

Then Oliver gives Fernandez a yellow for simulation but when the cunt is the tit over the ball and shoving Mo after his goal, Oliver does fuck all?

Not that that influenced the result but fernandez is a cunt and Id send him off every game just for looking as ugly as he does.

I think Jurgen has some big problems to address right now because the morale doesnt look particularly good and we've a backlog of injuries and suspension that dont appear to be lifting immediately. We were really, really awful in that game tonight and it's the 3rd time in 3 league games. We could have been sat on 0 points after 3 games.

Just now, ZonkoVille77 said:

Carvalho maybe, Elliot no. Elliot is neat and tidy but that's it. He'll have a good career but won't reach the heights we require from our players. 

Hope you're wrong Zonko. I do have a good feeling about both of them, especially when they are surrounded by a functioning team.

1 minute ago, niallers said:

I took the last 2 Mondays off work. I'm a mental monster

Haha good one lad!