You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

27 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

Love this lad but he is not good enough to lead a team chasing the title our bad results are not all on him Diaz/Salah been shite too but for a main striker he misses too many especially when its a pressure game

He had literally 2 chances today 

46 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I assume the Salah, Jota and Jones threads will be getting bumped? 

Nunez offers more than most. 

Worked his arse off you today.

Got literally no service and had 1 great chance where keeper pulled off a great save. 

Sarah meanwhile offered the grand total of fuck all

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

How many chances was he set up with today in 97 mins?

3 in 66 minutes (of which two were centre of the goal 6-8 yards out), even for Nunez's biggest supporters blaming the rest of the team for not passing to him while he's on the bench is a bit much.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

3 in 66 minutes, even for Nunez's biggest supporters blaming the rest of the team for not passing to him while he's on the bench is a bit much.

I can think of 2.where the keeper pulled of 2 saves.

So at home our no is set up once every 20 mins?

29 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He’d be good out wide with a proper, prolific, physical 9 like Solanke in the main role.

I think Mo needs to move on. 

You can't play him wide if you are a team that will dominate possession most of the time. He's not a remotely complete enough player. 

What he is really is a very mobile 9, so yeah, he can go out wide, but unless you are a small team that always plays on the counter and you just need someone to run very fast up and down the line, he isn't more than a temporary or one off tactical solution on the wing. It's something we turned to last season when we didn't know what to do.

The best formation for him is probably something narrow where he. is playing closely off another forward. Like a diamond or something like that.

Just now, Arniepie said:

I can think of 2.where the keeper pulled of 2 saves.

So at home our no is set up once every 20 mins?

What about the other 100 shots he's hads in the league alone this season?

Why is he in such illustrious company as Chris Woods and Richarlison despite having more shots than Haaland, Solanke, Salah, Watkins?

Just now, TD_LFC said:

What about the other 100 shots he's hads in the league alone this season?

Why is he in such illustrious company as Chris Woods and Richarlison despite having more shots than Haaland, Solanke, Salah, Watkins?

Nunez wasn't the problem today

14 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Jota's fitness is an issue for squad building. If he could play 80% of games you'd start him most weeks, blood Danns as a sub and in cup games etc, and you wouldn't need to sign a number nine. But if he pulled his hamstring in the third game of the season we'd be fucked. 

What I think doesn't work is having a group of forwards like we do, but some can have a stinker and be out of the side for a few weeks, and others can't even come off for the last two minutes of games. 

Inter is a really good example of where they do things completely differently. They have two starters and two backs ups, and all four of them know the score.

It was working with 5 subs when everyone was fit and involved. But yeah, the example you used with Inter is exactly what we were doing. Mané-Firmino-Salah and then clearly inferior players behind them, but dedicated backups. We might have been lucky with fitness and injuries at times, but the dynamic was great.

Would happily get rid of all our forwards to be honest and just get an old fashioned strike partnership with a decent sub to back them up, lads who score and like being in the box. This trio of attackers come wingers business just doesn't cut the mustard now, we need to pummel the opposition and if we're lucky put one of five chances away.

I want deft touches, sneaky 1-nil wins and finishes with aplomb.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Nunez wasn't the problem today

I have a lot of time for him but he's a problem every match. He's Liverpool's number 9, pretty much a first choice striker or forward, and we can't rely in him to score the easiest chances in the small or big moments. That's a problem full stop, and I don't think it's going away.

7 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Does he convert enough chances or show up in enough games, especially against top opposition, for you?

There is no argument there is question marks over his clinicilness(is that a word?)

He seems to go through through purple spells and then dry patches. 

I'm probably biased because from the very 1st time I saw him live(villa)I took to him,he has fire in his belly and there is a player there.

Had an argument today with some prick who was on his back every 5 mins. 

Like i said originally, He offered more today than salah,yet he is getting pillored again

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Would happily get rid of all our forwards to be honest and just get an old fashioned strike partnership with a decent sub to back them up, lads who score and like being in the box. This trio of attackers come wingers business just doesn't cut the mustard now, we need to pummel the opposition and if we're lucky put one of five chances away.

I want deft touches, sneaky 1-nil wins and finishes with aplomb.

Repped for aplomb.

Like Roger Hunt

5 minutes ago, Moo said:

I have a lot of time for him but he's a problem every match. He's Liverpool's number 9, pretty much a first choice striker or forward, and we can't rely in him to score the easiest chances in the small or big moments. That's a problem full stop, and I don't think it's going away.

I think he got fuck all service today.

Thought he was unlucky with that 1 chance he had in the 2nd half.

That was a great save

6 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

There is no argument there is question marks over his clinicilness(is that a word?)

He seems to go through through purple spells and then dry patches. 

I'm probably biased because from the very 1st time I saw him live(villa)I took to him,he has fire in his belly and there is a player there.

Had an argument today with some prick who was on his back every 5 mins. 

Like i said originally, He offered more today than salah,yet he is getting pillored again

But you know why Salah is given more leeway, it's obvious surely?

Nunez has nowhere near the kind of goodwill built up that Salah has and his two years here so far have been massively disappointing interspersed with the odd purple patch before reverting to type.

We're heading into the third year of his contract and his 25th birthday, at some point the excuses and mollycoddling has to stop and he has to deliver.

On the not playing with a traditional nine thing, that was sustainable with a generational trio of peak Salah, Mane and Firmino.

Doesn’t work as well now with the current crop. 

Jota is world class but is injured or recovering from injury 60% of the time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

But you know why Salah is given more leeway, it's obvious surely?

Because of what he has done in the past. 

The issue is,If you are giving him that leeway,you are putting a lot more pressure on the other strikers 

22 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Worked his arse off you today.

Got literally no service and had 1 great chance where keeper pulled off a great save. 

Sarah meanwhile offered the grand total of fuck all

He's 8 yards out and just leathered it at him. Roll it to the side of him with a bit of composure and the keeper has no chance. Smash it at his knee and it's going to bounce away.

As a very average goalie in my youth I made loads like that. Just make yourself big and hope the forward belts it at you.

His decision making first half was a mess too. Nobody can knock his work rate and I'm in agreement on Salah as well but when it's really mattered he hasn't delivered.

We won't win the league because despite the effort we put in we lack the quality and composure of the top two. That's not just on Nunez but he's a notable part of it.

2 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

He's 8 yards out and just leathered it at him. Roll it to the side of him with a bit of composure and the keeper has no chance. Smash it at his knee and it's going to bounce away.

As a very average goalie in my youth I made loads like that. Just make yourself big and hope the forward belts it at you.

His decision making first half was a mess too. Nobody can knock his work rate and I'm in agreement on Salah as well but when it's really mattered he hasn't delivered.

We won't win the league because despite the effort we put in we lack the quality and composure of the top two. That's not just on Nunez but he's a notable part of it.

There were awful displays all over the park today,nunez would be well down on my list

Arniepie you are totally missing the point here. He had two pivotal moments today, the chance which he smashed straight at the keeper and the cross when the goalie hesitated and he didn't square it to Mo but over hit to to Diaz at the back post. Yes Salah was bad, yes the two huge moments where bad, but what else did he offer?

He's our most expensive forward. How many intelligent runs into the channels did he make? How many times did he drop deep for a pass and move into space? How many times did he win his Ariel duals with their CBs? He excels at nothing. Missed chances can be forgiven if he gets the basics right, but he can't even do that. His touch is terrible. I watched him closely today (I'm a ST holder) I don't even think he knows where to stand half of the time. He simply isn't good enough.