You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Not sure Bellingham is the right player considering the midfield options we have at the moment. The lads looks a massive talent but another player that can either play with Fabinho and drop deep when needed would benefit the squad more at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think being interested in someone like Carvalho likely eliminates being interested in someone like Bellingham. Because for one; we don't stash young players, we use them in the 1st team if we think they're good enough and two; it reduces the need for someone like Bellingham, who is young, but already very expensive.

Carvalho and Bellingham play in different positions.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

How likely do you think it is that Carvalho is coming in to play as a box to box midfielder?

How likely was it that Elliott, a winger, was going to play as a midfielder? Carvalho is a #10. I'd say it's possible that he would play in one of the #8 positions.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

How likely was it that Elliott, a winger, was going to play as a midfielder? Carvalho is a #10. I'd say it's possible that he would play in one of the #8 positions.

For us, quite likely given he's a right footed right winger.

Carvalho on the other hand profiles more like a Mane/Jota hybrid 11/9 he doesn't play like a traditional No.10 even if that's where he technically plays for Fulham.

His goal against Barnsley this season is probably a decent indication of what his role would be initially with the versatility to play in a few different positions.

40 seconds in.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

For us, quite likely given he's a right footed right winger.

Carvalho on the other hand profiles more like a Mane/Jota hybrid 11/9 he doesn't play like a traditional No.10 even if that's where he technically plays for Fulham.

His goal against Barnsley this season is probably a decent indication of what his role would be initially with the versatility to play in a few different positions.

40 seconds in.

I think it's pretty obvious he could play midfield for us when the likes of Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott do as well, but sure.

At the very least, you can't say with certainty he couldn't.

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

At the very least, you can't say with certainty he couldn't.

I think the only thing I did was ask how likely it was that he'd come in as a box to box midfielder.

Not sure why Carvalho signing would stop/prevent the need for another midfielder in the more traditional sense, by the same logic, given we have Elliot, Jones and Keita why bother signing Carvalho at all?

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I think the only thing I did was ask how likely it was that he'd come in as a box to box midfielder.

Not sure why Carvalho signing would stop/prevent the need for another midfielder in the more traditional sense, by the same logic, given we have Elliot, Jones and Keita why bother signing Carvalho at all?

It may prevent the need for Bellingham because Carvalho is cheap and homegrown. Everyone knows the market for English players is stupid and inflated. If one of the reasons to buy Bellingham was you wanted homegrown midfield talent, you already have it in Carvalho. If they truly rate Bellingham, they may want to sign him anyway, but otherwise, Bellingham is not value for money, at least not yet, and we could buy a first team midfielder in our usual 40m price range instead of paying around 80-100m for a teenage midfielder.

16 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I wonder if we will possibly see a change in formation to at times going closer to the 4231 than Klopp employed at times in Dortmund 

160329486570805589.png

Looks more of a goal scorer than a provider so you could see him playing that Reus role off the main striker, not sure we have the right kind of number 9 for it to happen at the moment.

There's been talk of going to a variation of 4231 a few times but it never seems to stick, we played it for one game with Shaq in the 10 against somebody a season or so back in the cup didn't we?

46 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Looks more of a goal scorer than a provider so you could see him playing that Reus role off the main striker, not sure we have the right kind of number 9 for it to happen at the moment.

There's been talk of going to a variation of 4231 a few times but it never seems to stick, we played it for one game with Shaq in the 10 against somebody a season or so back in the cup didn't we?

Played it a few times with Shaq in his first season. Then once or twice at the end of games with Firmino behind the other three.

Anyway, Carvalho looks like he could fill the Ox spot of mostly attacking midfielder and sometimes in the front three.

And isn’t Harvey Elliot left footed?

8 minutes ago, Peter Cormack said:

What I‘ve seen of Declan Rice this season impresses. He would fit our midfield like a glove and is a natural replacement for Hendo. Plus he runs like Jocky Hansen which is good enoigh for me. He‘ll probably end up at ManUre like other WH midfielders.

pity the little turncoat fuck didnt change country, otherwise we'd have got him for about 10 euro 

• Upvote 2

Rice said he's a big chelsea fan plus he wants to stay in London, that alongside the fee put him out the equation though he is excellent. Push come to shove I trust Klopp and his staff no matter who they pick and I don't watch enough football to genuinely be desperate for us to sign anybody in particular. We do need the midfield updating in my opinion, who knows the remainder of this season could see Jones and Elliot change things.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Declan Rice does seem to have really kicked on in the last 12 months. West Ham want 100 million for him though and his best position is in the same slot as Fabinho, so I doubt he is somebody that is even on our radar. 

He isn't worth that much money. I reckon he could be good but he came on earlier and apart from his goal he was shit, he couldn't find a pass against a non-league side. I don't know. English player premium....