You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why do we appear to be targetted so much by pundits?

dockers_strike

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

Weirdly, people who've actually bothered to visit like it. I can remember talking to a family from Southampton on holiday and their son wanted to visit both footy grounds so they came up for a weekend.

The Mum and Dad said they were terrified at first and their friends had said they were mad going up to Liverpool.

They said they loved it, said there was loads to do and they loved the pubs as well as Casa Italia.  The Dad said every time they asked for directions or for help everyone was really friendly. If it was Southampton they would probably be ignored by two or three people before someone helped.

They went on the Beatles taxi tour even though they weren't Beatles fans but found it interesting. They had booked to go again and explore the surrounding areas. 

It's a beautiful city and arguably under appreciated by some of the very people that live there. Or at least taken for granted. Having worked in Manchester for four years i always compared their architecture to ours. It has very little of note, and this is coming from someone who genuinely likes the place. Think of all the iconic buildings or places that Liverpool has that are world famous, and if not world famous then certainly hugely recognisable to the rest of the UK. The two cathedrals, the Liver Buildings, St Johns tower, St Georges Hall, the Albert Dock. I could go on. Now think of Manchester. Exactly. The Town Hall is the only one that i recall thinking was a striking building. Their cathedral is puny as well, the church by were i grew up in Mossley Hill is probably twice the size of it and more impressive architecturally.   

I would say that Liverpool is second only to London in terms of it's iconic and easily recognisable buildings.  

2 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Weirdly, people who've actually bothered to visit like it. I can remember talking to a family from Southampton on holiday and their son wanted to visit both footy grounds so they came up for a weekend.

The Mum and Dad said they were terrified at first and their friends had said they were mad going up to Liverpool.

They said they loved it, said there was loads to do and they loved the pubs as well as Casa Italia.  The Dad said every time they asked for directions or for help everyone was really friendly. If it was Southampton they would probably be ignored by two or three people before someone helped.

They went on the Beatles taxi tour even though they weren't Beatles fans but found it interesting. They had booked to go again and explore the surrounding areas. 

I live in Southampton and that's probably true enough, i know a few people from here who love it when they visit for a few days, they have a great time as i do when i get back home. 

• Like 1

Fuck em all. The more piss it boils the better. Let's compare the reaction of the pundits to the decisions in the Palace game v Spurs game.  So Ox's goal should have been disallowed because Bobby was offside and tried to head it. The fact that under new rules he is not offside became irrellevant. Then the pen. If I am honest I was surprised it was given but then out comes all the nonsense. Palace were in the game, they could have fought back and maybe equalised or even won completely ignoring the fact that we had regained control of the game. Now look at Spurs Harry Kane stonewall red every day of the week Spurs down to 10 . If the Jota push was correctly penalised then Emerson gets a yellow his 2nd and Spurs are down to 9 men  game over 3 points .Somehow all of this was kind of glossed over yeah many pointed out it was a pen but that was just about it beating Palace doesnt fit their narrative.

• Like 1

Think maybe one or two have strayed a bit about other fans. Football fans are tribal so they'll always pile on any opportunity to slag us off. Although some of the stuff really irks, Im not really arsed about it.

It is the over critical shite that gets lobbed at us when we score, get awarded a free kick that leads to a goal or a penalty decision by the pundits that fucks me off.

Sure, tits like Danny fucking Mills always has an axe to grind with us but even who you'd consider rational professionals seem to lose their shit over us.

Garth Crooks was gobbing off the other day about Mo or Sadio were involved with at Anfield recently. He's coming out with shite 'it's being going on for years, even while I was playing and it's got to stop'! The actual fuck when united have had favourable decisions  and 'fergie extra time' until they score etc?

It's just bizarre and I dont know why it is.

Captain Obvious
You know it’s an international break when The Sun‘s back-page lead is that ‘PREM refs feel under pressure to accept VAR overturns – even if they are convinced their original decision was right’.

No sh*t. Was there a teeny-tiny clue in the fact that referees have gone to the monitor 49 times this season and agreed with VAR every single time?

One question: Would that have been a back page if the latest (erroneous) decision had not gone Liverpool’s way?

Football 365 know the score.

8 hours ago, Total Longo said:

It's a beautiful city and arguably under appreciated by some of the very people that live there. Or at least taken for granted. Having worked in Manchester for four years i always compared their architecture to ours. It has very little of note, and this is coming from someone who genuinely likes the place. Think of all the iconic buildings or places that Liverpool has that are world famous, and if not world famous then certainly hugely recognisable to the rest of the UK. The two cathedrals, the Liver Buildings, St Johns tower, St Georges Hall, the Albert Dock. I could go on. Now think of Manchester. Exactly. The Town Hall is the only one that i recall thinking was a striking building. Their cathedral is puny as well, the church by were i grew up in Mossley Hill is probably twice the size of it and more impressive architecturally.   

I would say that Liverpool is second only to London in terms of it's iconic and easily recognisable buildings.  

Only London has more listed buildings than Liverpool. It's also a hell of a lot bigger.

You should've seen it back when Rafa was manager.

The only man to be criticised for winning a European Cup.

In 2007 Sky spent the build up to the final blasting Benitez for not taking the league seriously. You had absolute melts whining that he didn't take the FA Cup seriously despite winning it in the best final of the last 70 years.

It's a pale, pale shadow of the abuse Liverpool its manager and its fans received back then. Anyone remember William Gaillard's quotes about us being the worst fans in the world. Or Jay McKenna getting dogs abuse off Jim White on Sky.

(Jay did make him look like a dickhead mind.)

I don't think there is a huge issue with us and the pundits these days, of course there will be the occasional person with an axe to grind because as a player or a fan they have seen their team thumped by us. I agree with Dicko that it was far worse in the past, in particular when Benitez was in charge alongside Hicks and Gillett 'running' the club, Benitez seems to be one of the most ire inducing people in the country.

I think a lot of the daft stuff originates from us alongside United being the two most high profile clubs in the country, so a lot of rubbish gets pumped towards us for clickbait reasons and to further people's media careers, as it results in greater engagement.

We do also seem to suffer from imposed narratives (which are partially derived from the above effect), which means that I find myself hearing match reports/retelling of our games that are really far away from what happened even with my biases removed.

For whatever reason (probably to give me self a rise in cortisol) occasionally I listen to the 5 live football daily podcasts. On the one covering our game Ben Haines managed to completely misremeber our game* but fit it into the 'socials' narrative, to the point where I wondered if he had even seen the match or has any capacity for independent thought.

However his view of the game fitted squarely into group think, which is often how the media operates in this country, it's better to be part of an in crowd rather that right, or viewing things differently.

*stated Palace had 'turned it around in the second half' when we had started to look wobbly in my opinion from about the 35th minute, he said the penalty occurred at the apex of their pressure, on viewing the game I thought the had started to look pretty blunt pre the double substitution and we had got the game under control which was reinforced by said substitutes not doing a huge amount when they came on.

Nah, not saying there was no agenda against Rafa but I cant agree it was worse. Jurgen's kopped a load of shit for his 'false positive' comment, this being turned into 'false tests' which is an entirely different slant. Jurgen's always getting the 'disrespecting the domestic cups' shite.

But, I still maintain you dont see the level of analysis of our goals by the pundits, always looking for some reason why it shouldnt have been given as you do other teams.

Who was the journo wanker that tweeted out that he wasn't surprised by the "racist" abuse that Oldham lad got that night in the cup, even though he wasn't there?

I didn't see him apologise in his column when it came out that the lad was called a "Manc bastard" instead of what he misheard.

We carried the can for the Suarez episode for years. Just because one player allegedly made a comment, we were all branded racist. Easy to do when it's us. The shameful scenes at Heysel have long been used to throw at us yet other clubs, who's fans are involved in incidents where fans have died, have that swept under the carpet.

I firmly believe it's the media narrative surrounding Liverpool that was widespread in the early 80's due to the City being the main pocket of "resistance" to that old bitch that has seen Liverpool being so widely abused for anything and everything. Everton get off because they're not successful and they enjoy being everybody else's lapdog.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Nah, not saying there was no agenda against Rafa but I cant agree it was worse. Jurgen's kopped a load of shit for his 'false positive' comment, this being turned into 'false tests' which is an entirely different slant. Jurgen's always getting the 'disrespecting the domestic cups' shite.

But, I still maintain you dont see the level of analysis of our goals by the pundits, always looking for some reason why it shouldnt have been given as you do other teams.

I think we'll just have to disagree here, I remember the seething contempt that many of the mainstream pundits had for Benitez and the joy with which they greeted Roy Hodgson's appointment.

Klopp has never received that level of consistent opprobrium.

this is the same for every club.  I don't buy into the 'everyone hates us' mantra.  It's playing up to the 'always the victims' bollocks for a start.   We are seen as moaning more about everything, but that's because we do.  Any manager brave enough to put their head above the parapet these days is likely to have someone have a potshot at them.  By and large Klopp is well liked in the press.  Benitez is a different case, because he was always a little disingenuous with the press and he didn't have the 'charm' or personality to succeed on that basis.

On 26/01/2022 at 13:50, Preston Red said:

Who was the journo wanker that tweeted out that he wasn't surprised by the "racist" abuse that Oldham lad got that night in the cup, even though he wasn't there?

I didn't see him apologise in his column when it came out that the lad was called a "Manc bastard" instead of what he misheard.

We carried the can for the Suarez episode for years. Just because one player allegedly made a comment, we were all branded racist. Easy to do when it's us. The shameful scenes at Heysel have long been used to throw at us yet other clubs, who's fans are involved in incidents where fans have died, have that swept under the carpet.

I firmly believe it's the media narrative surrounding Liverpool that was widespread in the early 80's due to the City being the main pocket of "resistance" to that old bitch that has seen Liverpool being so widely abused for anything and everything. Everton get off because they're not successful and they enjoy being everybody else's lapdog.

That last paragraph is spot on. Our city shamed the rest of the country by standing up to Thatcher and the tories and continues to do so. This seems hard to compute for the London based establishment.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That last paragraph is spot on. Our city shamed the rest of the country by standing up to Thatcher and the tories and continues to do so. This seems hard to compute for the London based establishment.

It's the main thing I love about the city, zero fucks given and will happily call out injustice. I don't come from Liverpool and have never had any family links (AFAIK) to the city but it's one of my favourite places in the country.