You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alternative 'rona thread

Pureblood

5 hours ago, Boss said:

The whole response to COVID is just to push through ID cards - which are a reality now with the Vaccine Passports. 

I actually suspect that this government is cooler on universal ID cards than, say, the Thatcher government. The voter suppression shit that they're trying to pull only works if we don't have universal ID.

I'm done with this virus now. The lying shithead Tories can do one. I don't accept their doom mongering shite, no other country is apparently utterly fucked the way the Tories say the UK is unless we lock down again. I've never been on-board with the conspiracy nuts before but I'm beginning to wonder if something else is at play here. Why our leaders are intent on ruining the economy, the health of citizens and livelihoods over a mild variant, I have no idea. But I do know it has nothing to do with concern for our well-being. That's the last thing a Tory government will ever worry about, the health and safety of the public.  

7 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I'm done with this virus now. The lying shithead Tories can do one. I don't accept their doom mongering shite, no other country is apparently utterly fucked the way the Tories say the UK is unless we lock down again. I've never been on-board with the conspiracy nuts before but I'm beginning to wonder if something else is at play here. Why our leaders are intent on ruining the economy, the health of citizens and livelihoods over a mild variant, I have no idea. But I do know it has nothing to do with concern for our well-being. That's the last thing a Tory government will ever worry about, the health and safety of the public.  

I suspect a lot of people outside social media will feel exactly this way. 

1 minute ago, Baltar said:

I'm done with this virus now. The lying shithead Tories can do one (I agree) . I don't accept their doom mongering shite, no other country is apparently utterly fucked (see Denmark and Norway's modelling today, Austria has locked down it's unvaccinated population) the way the Tories say the UK is unless we lock down again (At this juncture, has any political party called for a lockdown?). I've never been on-board with the conspiracy nuts before but I'm beginning to wonder if something else is at play here. Why our leaders are intent on ruining the economy, the health of citizens and livelihoods over a mild variant (hopefully, but we need more time before we can officially call it a mild variant - what it is is much more transmittable, so measures are being taken to try and reduce that transmission. If hospitalisations are only a small proportion of a significantly higher amount of cases than we've seen before, this could still put strain on the health infrastructure. This increased transmission also applies to NHS staff, who can also get ill. Surely anybody can see that overlapping increased hospitalisations and increased NHS staff absences aren't a good thing?), I have no idea. But I do know it has nothing to do with concern for our well-being. That's the last thing a Tory government will ever worry about, the health and safety of the public.  

There’s a couple of bad blerts on my Facebook, husband and wife, constantly going on about vaccines and Nazi Germany, plus all the other stuff about heart attacks and shit. All of it copied and pasted from elsewhere because they’re too thick to articulate anything by themselves. I can’t muster the energy to argue with them but a part of me does wonder what will happen when they get the C-19. 

28 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Why our leaders are intent on ruining the economy

This is just such a wrong take.

The facts are 

- Johnson refused travel restrictions from China in February 2020, because he fantasised about being the Superman of free trade.

- The Government fatally delayed the first lockdown, preferring to keep the football matches and horse racing festivals going, at a cost of thousands of lives.

- The Government ran a scheme last summer basically paying people to go out to pubs and restaurants.

- The Government pushed students back into their private rented accommodation last September, even when their studies were all online.

- The Government pressured employers to get people back into offices (and, crucially, to get them spending in town centres) last August/September, although most of those workers had been managing OK at home.

- The Government kept up the pretence of "saving Christmas" last year, encouraging people to go out shopping and celebrating, until they finally had to concede that that just wasn't safe.

That was just 2020. This year has continued in much the same vein (except, thanks to vaccines, without the threat of a lockdown).

This is the opposite of being "intent on ruining the economy". This is a Government taking a Lord Farquaad attitude to keeping the tills ringing.  ("Some of you may die, but that is a price I'm willing to pay.")

This is, as you say, nothing to do with any concern for our well-being (at least, on the part of the psychos in Government.)  The main reason they are pushing these (really, really minor) restrictions is that sick people don't work and dead people don't spend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This is just such a wrong take.

The facts are 

- Johnson refused travel restrictions from China in February 2020, because he fantasised about being the Superman of free trade.

- The Government fatally delayed the first lockdown, preferring to keep the football matches and horse racing festivals going, at a cost of thousands of lives.

- The Government ran a scheme last summer basically paying people to go out to pubs and restaurants.

- The Government pushed students back into their private rented accommodation last September, even when their studies were all online.

- The Government pressured employers to get people back into offices (and, crucially, to get them spending in town centres) last August/September, although most of those workers had been managing OK at home.

- The Government kept up the pretence of "saving Christmas" last year, encouraging people to go out shopping and celebrating, until they finally had to concede that that just wasn't safe.

That was just 2020. This year has continued in much the same vein (except, thanks to vaccines, without the threat of a lockdown).

This is the opposite of being "intent on ruining the economy". This is a Government taking a Lord Farquaad attitude to keeping the tills ringing.  ("Some of you may die, but that is a price I'm willing to pay.")

This is, as you say, nothing to do with any concern for our well-being (at least, on the part of the psychos in Government.)  The main reason they are pushing these (really, really minor) restrictions is that sick people don't work and dead people don't spend.

" The main reason they are pushing these restrictions are sick people don't work and dead people don't spend"

Are you fucking real? The government has put the NHS under massive pressure when at the moment we've had one death and approximately ten in hospital with this variant. It's fucking ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Well, yeah. You can decide whether to take very minor steps to protect yourself and others or to be a shit-thick selfish cunt.

I do take 'minor steps' Angry, I wear a face mask in public and have had my jabs but I can see through that bullshit Johnson broadcast last Sunday night, load of fucking scaremongering bollocks to save his own skin. 

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I do take 'minor steps' Angry, I wear a face mask in public and have had my jabs but I can see through that bullshit Johnson broadcast last Sunday night, load of fucking scaremongering bollocks to save his own skin. 

I didn't even watch the broadcast. The trick is to ignore anything that cunt says and listen to what the scientists say about protecting yourself and others by getting your booster, wearing a mask, keeping your distance, good ventilation, regular testing and washing your hands. All minor inconveniences which, if enough people are arsed to do them, mean that we can safely crack on with something like a normal life.

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I didn't even watch the broadcast. The trick is to ignore anything that cunt says and listen to what the scientists say about protecting yourself and others by getting your booster, wearing a mask, keeping your distance, good ventilation, regular testing and washing your hands. All minor inconveniences which, if enough people are arsed to do them, mean that we can safely crack on with something like a normal life.

Well we were doing that anyway but even on here since the broadcast you can sense the feel of apprehension, and most know Johnsons a bullshiting liar.

What changed from the Friday when Boris Johnson was in the shit to the the Monday when we're all apparently in the shit?

Come on; Stronts is right, we're being played.

55 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

There’s a couple of bad blerts on my Facebook, husband and wife, constantly going on about vaccines and Nazi Germany, plus all the other stuff about heart attacks and shit. All of it copied and pasted from elsewhere because they’re too thick to articulate anything by themselves. I can’t muster the energy to argue with them but a part of me does wonder what will happen when they get the C-19. 

I'm mostly checking medical/scientist accounts on twitter lately, several of them have started sharing this, looks like myocarditis with moderna for under 40's could be a bigger problem than actually getting covid :