You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This Manchester United team is absolutely dreadful. The worst I’ve seen since the 80s pre bacon face.  

And it is fucking glorious.  Long may they remain this abysmal.  

They are us in the 90s. I checked earlier

in the 8 years after we won the title in 1990 our average league position was 4.5. United's since 2013 is 4.36. 

Their average points total over that time is 69.5. Ours 90-98 was 67.1. Just for the record, besides a couple of seasons under Evans where we played exciting football, we were shit for the 90s. That's what it has been like for them for the past 8.5 years. 

If we were told in 2013 that they would have difficulty after Ferguson left we would have been delighted but even the most optimistic could not have forseen this. It's glorious and isn't ending anytime soon.

• Upvote 3

While performances have generally gone down well, there are a few Villa fans less than satisfied with Gerard’s start overall. I suspect he’s going to need to turn it around fairly quickly to salvage any hopes of managing a top side, which of course is the issue developing managers face when taking jobs at big-ish clubs never likely to be in contention.

9 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

While performances have generally gone down well, there are a few Villa fans less than satisfied with Gerard’s start overall. I suspect he’s going to need to turn it around fairly quickly to salvage any hopes of managing a top side, which of course is the issue developing managers face when taking jobs at big-ish clubs never likely to be in contention.

I was genuinely sceptical  of Gerrard as a manager but I thought Villa were excellent last night  . Really like the way they played and if it had not been for a lenient ref they could have won easily. Sign of a good manager that he getting the best out of players I never really noticed before  that douglas Luis or whatever his name lad with blond mop looked like prime alonso last night  . Have to say it I was impressed . 

7 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

I was genuinely sceptical  of Gerrard as a manager but I thought Villa were excellent last night  . Really like the way they played and if it had not been for a lenient ref they could have won easily. Sign of a good manager that he getting the best out of players I never really noticed before  that douglas Luis or whatever his name lad with blond mop looked like prime alonso last night  . Have to say it I was impressed . 

To be fair, it was only Utd they were playing. There'll be much bigger tests ahead for him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

He could have been an absolutely brilliant striker if he had the application. Wasn't he one of those lads who wasn't even that interested in football? Think there were some quotes about him not even knowing who half our team were when he joined us. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

He could have been an absolutely brilliant striker if he had the application. Wasn't he one of those lads who wasn't even that interested in football? Think there were some quotes about him not even knowing who half our team were when he joined us. 

There was a point in time when Kenny made him do double training sessions in an attempt to get him match fit, so he could finally justify the £35m fee. And right as this was going on, one of my mates text me in the early hours saying, "you'll never guess who's in here tonight", and I said, "who?". "Andy Carroll. He's got a bunch of sameheads around him. He's proper bladdered". I knew from that moment that he'd never make it here. Never had the discipline. 

• Upvote 1