You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Silly or Annoying Things Done in Films or TV

VladimirIlyich

25 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Nobody sharing the same first name.

Only film I can think of in which there are characters with the same name is Heathers, of course I'm sure there are more.

Reminds me of the moment in Die Hard when the two feds turn up, one black and one white: "I'm Agent Johnson, this is Special Agent Johnson... no relation"

It's such a great line, and totally unnecessary. Good films have those idiosyncrasies, the small peculiarities of everyday life sprinkled in.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Only film I can think of in which there are characters with the same name is Heathers, of course I'm sure there are more.

Mistaken identity is central to the plot of The Big Lewbowski.

• Upvote 1

On 14/07/2022 at 14:15, VladimirIlyich said:

Like in a recent episode of Better Call Saul,the perpetrator has a gun and threatens to shoot his rival for ages before getting killed themselves because they didnt kill them off straight away.

When you've gotta shoot, shoot - don't talk.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Watching the Haunting of Bly Manor and even though it's clearly a haunted house the au pair tells the (creepy) kids to have a game of hide and seek at nighttime. Fucking stupid

Could've saved yourself some typing.

I know you have to have artistic licence, but every single action film has a sequence where the MI5, CIA or similar hero has a massive firefight in a public square with scores of baddies, with passers-by being machine-gunned in their droves. Has this ever happened even once in real life.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Hill House scene in the car nearly gave me 3rd degree burns as I backflipped off the couch with a cup of tea.

She did some mid-air somersault and I ran at the telly with my fists clenched. A real fight or flight moment. I fucking shit myself. 

Another one was the scene in the film Unbroken when the shark jumps out the water. I don't remember doing it but knew I'd reacted but according to her I scrambled up the corner of the couch and left her to die. 

• Upvote 2

On 02/10/2022 at 23:14, sir roger said:

I know you have to have artistic licence, but every single action film has a sequence where the MI5, CIA or similar hero has a massive firefight in a public square with scores of baddies, with passers-by being machine-gunned in their droves. Has this ever happened even once in real life.

I watched Heat the other night and that annoyed me. Surely the police have a duty of care to civilians to avoid indiscriminate gunfire in public places and if they do then public enquiries should happen? The ease they entered the airport with weapons was also annoying. The film itself was much worse than I remembered.

• Upvote 1

On 14/07/2022 at 17:11, Captain Willard said:

People who have been shot anywhere bit in the head die quickly and silently rather than slowly, loudly and in pain. Saving Private Ryan and Reservoir Dogs are rare examples of a film showing the messy reality of being shot in the stomach. I sound like Gareth from the Office. 

When I got shot everyone was like ‘he’s definitely dead’ yeah, but I just backflipped and landed on my feet and was like, ‘don’t know what you were worried about.’

10 hours ago, Harrison Booth said:

I watched Heat the other night and that annoyed me. Surely the police have a duty of care to civilians to avoid indiscriminate gunfire in public places and if they do then public enquiries should happen? The ease they entered the airport with weapons was also annoying. The film itself was much worse than I remembered.

You forget, it was set in America. Half the bystanders were locked and loaded before it even kicked off. 

On 27/06/2021 at 22:01, Carvalho Diablo said:

When 2 people have been shagging all night, when the bird finally gets out of bed she suddenly becomes all bashful and wraps the sheets around her to hide her naked body.

Why? 30 seconds earlier she was being rimmed, pile-driven and wolf-bagged.

Perhaps one for the getting older thread. I had to google this. Thankfully the 3rd result was a thread from the GF explaining exactly what this was. Sounds delightful.

18 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

When somebody is running down a street being chased by a vehicle or trying to avoid a large boulder rolling down a hill they never run onto the pavement or to the side to avoid the object. Inspired by currently watching Planet of The Apes.

I watched an episode of series called The Tourist and the fella is in a nippy little Datsun/Nissan,being chased around the Aussie Outback by a massive Articulated Lorry and trailer attached and not once did he do a sharp turn to escape and continued in a straight line. 

On 31/07/2022 at 12:25, manwiththestick said:

I think there a few same or similar names in game of thrones and house of Dragon, at least George RR Martin says there are. Cant think of too many examples off the top of my head, but Viserys (Targaryen) and Lianna Mormont/Stark are 2, plus how many bloody Aegon Targaryens are there? I guess there was Robb Stark/ Robert Baratheon, does that count? If so then there is Bran & Brandon Stark as well I think.

On 27/06/2021 at 22:01, Carvalho Diablo said:

When 2 people have been shagging all night, when the bird finally gets out of bed she suddenly becomes all bashful and wraps the sheets around her to hide her naked body.

Why? 30 seconds earlier she was being rimmed, pile-driven and wolf-bagged.

They normally have a bra on as well. Selfish as fuck.