You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

Ok. What do you think happens if we weren't?

We would fade away really the money would dry up because the big sponsors (playstation, gasprom etc) will be spending their money on the super League not the CL and not the premier League, this if it comes off will be a bigger power shift money maker than the premier League was in 93. The club's left behind will struggle to keep up or even stay a float, club's in the PL paying hundreds of millions a year in wages will not be able to pay it the best players will all head for the money.

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The next big issue could be the club vs country angle. If national FAs play hardball and say that players who play in this new league can't represent their country, will that lead to transfer requests from players who value representing their home nation? Or will money trump that desire? 

The players get fuck all for playing internationals. Well, to my knowledge the England lads and Id think the other Home nations would be similar.

Hey lads, 200grand a week and you dont play international football unless we ok it or off you go, play for a lesser club and 80 grand a week. Tough choice?

Just now, dockers_strike said:

The players get fuck all for playing internationals. Well, to my knowledge the England lads and Id think the other Home nations would be similar.

Hey lads, 200grand a week and you dont play international football unless we ok it or off you go, play for a lesser club and 80 grand a week. Tough choice?

Not just that, but FIFA will know that they either back down or a rival World Cup gets created and they fade into irrelevance. As I said earlier in the thread, it’d be like BDO darts when the PDC broke away and took the best players. You either work with it or you’re doomed in the long run.

Just now, waddy78 said:

We would fade away really the money would dry up because the big sponsors (playstation, gasprom etc) will be spending their money on the super League not the CL and not the premier League, this if it comes off will be a bigger power shift money maker than the premier League was in 93. The club's left behind will struggle to keep up or even stay a float, club's in the PL paying hundreds of millions a year in wages will not be able to pay it the best players will all head for the money.

Everton and Moshiri must be shitting themselves being potentially left out of this. They are massively dependent on tv money with almost 80 per cent of their outgoings being wages. They've only really stayed afloat because of the money he's put in. 

Plus they've committed to a new stadium that could  more than £600m. They've virtually got no European pedigree as well. The likes of Ajax, Porto, Benfica, Celtic etc at least play regularly in European competition. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Everton and Moshiri must be shitting themselves being potentially left out of this. They are massively dependent on tv money with almost 80 per cent of their outgoings being wages. They've only really stayed afloat because of the money he's put in. 

Plus they've committed to a new stadium that could  more than £600m. They've virtually got no European pedigree as well. The likes of Ajax, Porto, Benfica, Celtic etc at least play regularly in European competition. 

That’s okay, they’ve a much better chance of qualifying for Europe regularly if six clubs don’t take their CL spots. The CL becomes, in terms of prestige, a sort of deluxe Europa League and the Europa, fuck knows, but there’ll be a European place for whoever wants one. The likes of Everton should be secretly thrilled by this, which is really just the next step in the evolution of where the game has been headed since the European Cup stopped being reserved exclusively for league champions.

I dont have a problem with it being a negotiating tactic but, it's a cross Europe 'top clubs' who are pushing for this European League to replace UEFA's CL. Im not sure how these European clubs have much concern about how the 6 English clubs interact with English FA and PL.

That said, if the top European clubs and I use the term loosely, use it to push and gain the following and other concessions, why not?

For example, stop FIFA, UEFA and the other confederations filling up the football calendar with meaningless internationals. Stop FIFA and the rest calling up club's players without consideration to players fitness especially returning from injury without the owning club having the option to veto the call up.

Domestically, I want to see the end of 12 or 14 PL clubs making decisions that directly impact Liverpool. The 5 subs question comes to mind, overseas broadcast income has to be pro rata. Overseas fans dont want to see Fulham v West Brom etc. I dont do aways now but Im fucked seeing smaller PL club generally jack their ticket prices for our away support. TV wise, Id like the club to be able to show live away games on the club channel.

Mike Riley and his band of cunting refs and VAR officials to be replaced. Cunts like anthony taylor, an altrincham season ticket holder, ho, ho, ho, and others reffing our games against the mancs and fucking us over at every chance.

I might be able to think of other things.

• Upvote 3

My take is the Americans know covid has killed the likes of Madrid, Barca and this is this best opportunity to get a superleague going. I think there is something in this. No relegation entry not on merit - play anyway -- fly fans from Hong Kong and New York and triple ticket prices. 

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont have a problem with it being a negotiating tactic but, it's a cross Europe 'top clubs' who are pushing for this European League to replace UEFA's CL. Im not sure how these European clubs have much concern about how the 6 English clubs interact with English FA and PL.

That said, if the top European clubs and I use the term loosely, use it to push and gain the following and other concessions, why not?

For example, stop FIFA, UEFA and the other confederations filling up the football calendar with meaningless internationals. Stop FIFA and the rest calling up club's players without consideration to players fitness especially returning from injury without the owning club having the option to veto the call up.

Domestically, I want to see the end of 12 or 14 PL clubs making decisions that directly impact Liverpool. The 5 subs question comes to mind, overseas broadcast income has to be pro rata. Overseas fans dont want to see Fulham v West Brom etc. I dont do aways now but Im fucked seeing smaller PL club generally jack their ticket prices for our away support. TV wise, Id like the club to be able to show live away games on the club channel.

Mike Riley and his band of cunting refs and VAR officials to be replaced. Cunts like anthony taylor, an altrincham season ticket holder, ho, ho, ho, and others reffing our games against the mancs and fucking us over at every chance.

I might be able to think of other things.

This is part of the Super League as well. Why should Genk v Prague get the same CL TV revenue as Madrid v us?

Neville was on some telly programme about that salford FC takeover and they had the woman from the tea van saying she hoped him and the others would put in and buy them a kitchen but neville came in and said they were refurbing the tea van instead, meanwhile him and giggs were building hotels. He's a working class hero. Nobody does working class lip service like mancs. Terry Christian will be on next.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

This is part of the Super League as well. Why should Genk v Prague get the same TV revenue as Madrid v us?

If they get as big a tv audience and sponsors clamouring to sponsor their game, I dont have a problem with them getting the same money. But they dont get the interest us, Real, the Milan clubs etc, do they?

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

There you have it. John Henrys Boston Reds playing in America or Asia. From the above. 

A number of the breakaway clubs also feel that if they ran the competition themselves, they could be more agile and innovative in generating more revenue, perhaps by playing on weekends or taking it on the road to Asia or North America. After all, these are global brands.

1 minute ago, Denny Crane said:

There you have it. John Henrys Boston Reds playing in America. From the above. 

A number of the breakaway clubs also feel that if they ran the competition themselves, they could be more agile and innovative in generating more revenue, perhaps by playing on weekends or taking it on the road to Asia or North America. After all, these are global brands.

That's supposition from Marcotti for fuck's sake. How you can say 'there it is' is beyond incredulous.

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

This is part of the Super League as well. Why should Genk v Prague get the same CL TV revenue as Madrid v us?

They shouldn't.

Because we should revert to a knock out European Cup where only the champions of each European country compete with all clubs getting equal TV revenue.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

That's supposition from Marcotti for fuck's sake. How you can say 'there it is' is beyond incredulous.

Come on. It will be like the boxing where they take the game to the highest bidder - wake up. I mean it's not like playing overseas hasn't been strongly discussed before.