You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The PL refs, where do they live and where did they grow up?

Code

Submit search

Referees

Submit search

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Filter
Referee Matches Red cards Yellow cards
Martin Atkinson 19 2 49
Michael Oliver 18 2 55
Anthony Taylor 17 3 46
Mike Dean 16 7 57
Chris Kavanagh 15 0 46
Andre Marriner 15 0 42
Craig Pawson 15 3 49
Paul Tierney 15 3 56
Stuart Attwell 14 1 59
Kevin Friend 14 2 31
Jonathan Moss 14 1 37
David Coote 12 2 38
Peter Bankes 10 2 33
Andy Madley 10 1 26
Graham Scott 10 4 26
Lee Mason 9 0 15
Simon Hooper 8 0 20
Darren England 7 0 23
Robert Jones 5 0 14
  •  

They’re not great, but let’s not pretend the reason we are where we are is because of them. We’ve really struggled to break teams down. Two ways to score against teams sitting deep putting ten men behind the ball:

1. Shots from outside the box - other than Ox and Trent we have no one capable of scoring from outside of the box

2. A penalty box presence - Firmino’s dramatic regression and Virgil’s absence mean that we have lost what aerial threat we had in previous seasons

Fix the above and we’ll be back challenging again.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, Code said:
Submit search

Referees

Submit search

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Filter
Referee Matches Red cards Yellow cards
Martin Atkinson 19 2 49
Michael Oliver 18 2 55
Anthony Taylor 17 3 46
Mike Dean 16 7 57
Chris Kavanagh 15 0 46
Andre Marriner 15 0 42
Craig Pawson 15 3 49
Paul Tierney 15 3 56
Stuart Attwell 14 1 59
Kevin Friend 14 2 31
Jonathan Moss 14 1 37
David Coote 12 2 38
Peter Bankes 10 2 33
Andy Madley 10 1 26
Graham Scott 10 4 26
Lee Mason 9 0 15
Simon Hooper 8 0 20
Darren England 7 0 23
Robert Jones 5 0 14
  •  

If this table doesn’t confirm that these fuckers make it up as they go along, I don’t know what does. Or maybe they give Dean the matches between the dirty teams?! ( 1 red card in nearly every 2 games, compared to Kavanagh, 0 in 15). 

58 minutes ago, an tha said:

I could be wrong here but one of the issues this season is they are picking relatively local refs due to covid and travel.

I might be wrong but thought i read that somewhere...so that is why getting mancs.

Sounds legit, but how smart is that though?

Not smart at all by the look of things. 

Isn't it:

Mason from Bolton

Tierney from Wigan

Pawson from Yorks

Taylor from Manchester

Coote from Notts (but supports ManchesterU)

Kavanagh from Manchester

Dean from Merseyside

Marriner and Friend from Midlands

Oliver and Moss from North East

Madley from Wakefield

Swarbrick from Lancs

I think Oliver is the best ref by a country mile but he royally offed up in the derby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

This is desperate stuff. It demeans us as a fan base to pursue this sort of nonsense. 

What are you talking about? This should be out in the open long time ago, simply to avoid speculation.

Im a politician, as a politician my one rule is that everything I do should be visible for those who want to look at what I do, who I talk to, who can gain an advantage because of my decisions etc, in other words, everything should be out in the open. 

Its been raised already that referees closer to the home team gets appointed because of corona, how is the refereeing influenced by this? For me, I’ve never seen worse refereeing in my lifetime. Should we look into possible reasons why? We obviously should, because these things influence them.

• Upvote 2

It's like Dave said in the everton mtatch thread. they're just giving the decisions they want to. There seems absolutely no redress. I mean Dean's sent off 7 players this season. Although at least 2 have been rescinded, how come Riley's PGMOL doesnt seem bothered one ref is red card happy?

Do they seriously think 'Mike's' just been unlucky and had unruly players in his games? Somebody should be questioning why is one ref seemingly sending off more players than others and having had a couple overturned?

Fuck me, first game back after he stood down after the supposed death threats and he's sent another cunt off! You couldnt make it up.

Just now, Colonel Kurtz said:

There are 30,000 referees in the UK. The refs in the premier league have all started doing sunday league games between pubs and made it to the very top of their profession. Do you really think that after maybe 30 years of referring  they are still bias becuase of their post code and that’s the sole reason for our poor run of form; not the injuries, the lack of crowds, COVID, the mental fatigue no it’s all down to the fact that the ref comes from Wigan not Speke. I am honestly and profoundly embarrassed that we support the same club. I wish we didn’t. 

In short, yes.

Absolutely, yes.