You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All New International Draft - The Final

Bjornebye

Pick your winner   

8 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your winner

1 hour ago, John102 said:

Alex for me. Beckham and Petrescu let Stigs side down, particularly given the teo weekest players occupy the same part of the pitch.

Could see Alex's defence coping with Stigs attack better than the other way round.

Petrescu was a very very good right back and Beckham a weak link? Come off it. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Petrescu was a very very good right back and Beckham a weak link? Come off it. 

Its all relative isnt it when you are comparing these sort of players. Also, at top level, dont think Beckham was a great centre mid. Most of his attributes more suited to the right hand side with his crosses.

Compared to Modric and  Keane as centre mids, he comes up short for me.

37 minutes ago, John102 said:

Its all relative isnt it when you are comparing these sort of players. Also, at top level, dont think Beckham was a great centre mid. Most of his attributes more suited to the right hand side with his crosses.

Compared to Modric and  Keane as centre mids, he comes up short for me.

He actually played brilliant when brought into the middle. I was thinking of his cross balls to Henry to be honest. I was torn between him, Scholes and Lampard but I had Rivaldo so Lampard dropped out and Scholes as good as he was doesn't give me the delivery Beckham does. 

If I was to vote on either side I'd have voted Alex anyway so what am I even on about. 

The teams have pretty different shapes, so its hard to debate man-to-man. Only really the defence is suited to that. Robertson above Chivu, of course (although Chivu was also a starting-left back CL winner, UEFA team of the Year LB .. maybe a decent analogy would be someone like Azpilicueta who is extremely solid but won't be talked much about in 5-10 years). I don't think Petrescu gets above Berg particularly (there's just nothing that standout in his resume.. spent career years 24-36 playing for a collection of mid-table domestic teams.. maxed out at couple of 4th place finishes with Chelsea) but neither are great shakes.

Neuer is levels above Szezny. Clear water between Van Dijk/Godin & Agger/Chiellini for me. 

Beckham was a good, hard working midfielder. But, again, there's levels to the game .. and Modric just has far too much in his locker to be compared. Likewise if you shift Beckham right and start comparing him with Figo. I'm not the hugest Roy Keane fan but again I think you're looking at level-difference when comparing with Vidal or indeed Guardiola. Modric/Keane/Figo is >> Guardiola/Vidal/Beckham IMHO when comparing skill sets like-for-like. The phrasing of that trio is probably the closest equivalents to each other.

I see that attack kind of crowding into the same positions as I don't know who moves where. Henry never really played with a Drogba type, and vice versa. Shearer was a pretty good one man band. But yeah, all 3 PL legends. Rivaldo was epic - he's probably Ronaldinho's equal IMO. Mane is Mane!

Like I said at the top hard to compare the two sides, but those would be a few observations. Fun game.