You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (A) Premier League 29/9 Match Thread

Bjornebye

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1-1 is a fair result. We had chances, they had chances, and it was a pretty decent contest overall.

Both full backs got caught out in the first half. Trent went hunting the ball in midfield and lost Hazard, who was played in and scored. Not sure why there is any questioning of Alisson's positioning as even the very best goalkeepers are beaten in a similar way. Just call it good play by the attacker and leave it at that. The full backs were much more solid in the second half and Robertson - whom Willian had been getting the better of in that first half - came more into the game and posed an attacking threat as the game wore on. One great ball in should have been buried by Shaqiri.

Alisson made two very good saves to deny Willian and Hazard, and both were down to sharp reactions and making himself big. No issues with his display tonight.

Hard to say whether our midfield 3 or Chelsea's midfield 3 bossed things. Chelsea's trio had more finesse whereas ours were more workmanlike, but I never thought any of ours were found wanting. I also think our centre backs both had good games, with Gomez slightly the better of the two. He has really come on strong since the summer.

My biggest issue was with the end product of the front 3, and Salah in particular. Just like last season, he appeared to be trying too hard to be a factor on his return to Stamford Bridge. It led to errating finishing or an erratic final ball. The movement and taking up good positions were there (as was the case with Firmino and Mane too), but he just didn't get a clean contact at the vital moment. Salah's best chance - tough though it was - was when he rounded Kepa and tried to finish from a tight angle. Rudiger cleared off the line. Firmino had a second half headed cleared off the line by Luiz, and Mane had a second half effort well saved by Kepa down low at his near post.

Those last 2 were our cleanest efforts on target, as sub Shaqiri spooned a great chance wide when he opened up his body too much, and hit a tame free kick into Kepa's arms. Our second sub Keita hurried an effort well wide from outside the box after a promising run at Chelsea's backpedalling defence. It was our final sub who made the telling contribution.

That was a stunning hit by Sturridge - sweet as you like. And I was shouting for him not to shoot just before that!

Hazard seems to do something against us every time he plays, a bit like Drogba used to. I imagine this is what Norwich felt like whenever Suarez played against them. That said, Hazard has been excellent and could well go on to post 30-plus goals for them. Sarri got a goalscoring tune out of another Belgian at Napoli, and he's working with a world class one here. Irritating thought Hazard's performances against us generally are, I was more bugged by Luiz having another good game against us. Our fans always want Sideshow Bob to play against us despite games against Liverpool being the one time he doesn't resemble a circus act.

Of course there is a positive note. I like how resilient the side has been this season, both going forward and defensively. We've been decisive very late in both halves of matches, and that's something Klopp should be reinforcing in his squad.

• Upvote 2

The victims of Grenfell and the decent poeple affected/who care of course deserve that sentiment.....the average fucking beaut shithouse rat ala Jamie Lindsay on the replies above and the other shithouse rats like him deserve our contempt - which is all I have for the likes of him/them.

• Like 1

Allison should have come out and narrowed the angle for the goal they scored just as he brilliantly did for this one. But I was praying for a draw and I'm delighted with the draw. If we did not win, it was not because of our goalie but our attack which is in a state of inertia at the moment. You can see our forwards struggling under the intense pressure to win. Klopp got to fix that. Everybody talks about City but this Chelsea side is a well-oiled machine. I think they will pose a better challenge to City's ambitions than us as things stand. But we are supposed to click and cut out our wastefulness and score goals galore. Only God knows when though. 

13 minutes ago, an tha said:

The victims of Grenfell and the decent poeple affected/who care of course deserve that sentiment.....the average fucking beaut shithouse rat ala Jamie Lindsay on the replies above and the other shithouse rats like him deserve our contempt - which is all I have for the likes of him/them.

Utter cunts!

7 hours ago, Skaro said:

Last minute equaliser against a top 4, away.

Staying equal top with City.

Keeping 2 ahead of Chelsea.

A cracking point that.

Between that late equalizer and Collingwood losing it late, it was a great day's viewing yesterday!

• Like 1

Just now, Jennings said:

Those twitter replies show a distinct lack of any community association from the Chelsea fans. Whenever ANYONE rocks up at Anfield at shows support for Hillsborough, they get an ovation. 

If the stereotype of Chelsea fans is true, and I hate myself for saying this, but Grenfell would’ve been a much bigger tragedy for the rest of the country, given the demographics of the victims.

Still feels like we should have won the game but getting a point in those circumstances makes it feel like a win. Thought it was a very good first half and we let them off the hook. Salah will come good again but he's allowed himself to get inside his own head.

It's a big statement to come away from there with our unbeaten record intact given the position we were in with 2 minutes to go. The keeper is getting criticism for the goal but not from me, low and across you is a nightmare for a goalkeeper and if you don't buy that, he made two key saves that kept us in it. But with all the missed opportunities of our own a loss would have been galling.

A well deserved point.