You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Cook laughing and smiling on the balcony at 9 down, last test for him for me. Just get through the last 2 tests and upheaval begins, Cook, Root, Ali and Broad all passengers so far. No good only being able to play in our conditions the like of Anderson has a little bit left in him, Ali is ok on worn pitches bowling into footholes, Build the team around Root, Stoneman, Malan, Bairstow as a batsman only, Stokes, Woakes and Anderson for a year or so. Get a wicketkeeper batsman in, a proper spinner and a quickie.

Which proper spinner and quickie did you have in mind?

Guest Pistonbroke

As a spinner goes I'd say Rashid would have been better than Ali in Aussie conditions. Mind you, Ali was bang in form as am all rounder. Quickie would have to be Plunkett or Wood, fitness permitting. 

Guest Pistonbroke

As far as the spinner problems go in England the ECB have to take a hard look at themselves, as whatever plans they have in motion are not working. There must be a load of Asian born kids who live in the UK now/Uk born with Asian parents who have potential. They need to invest in them and set up academy's abroad so they can bowl in conditions which are spin friendly on a regular basis. No point having them learn their trade in English conditions in a poor first class system. You could say the same as far as fast bowlers go to some extent. 

Players we could bring in to the starting 11. Ballance, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Jake Ball (who played and looked shit in that first test) and Tom Curran. More like a list of players you wouldn't take on an Ashes tour. 

Might get confusing for the commentators with Floakes, Woakes and Stokes in the set up.

Graeme Swann’s reccomendation on TMS was take the Captaincy off Root AND GIVE IT TO BROAD.

I shit you not!

Ha.

The captaincy is the least of the issue.

Doesn't matter who is captain, England don't have the firepower to get the wickets or the quality to get enough runs.

Root could captain the 2005 team and look like Vaughan.  Much easier when you have the right quality and player to deliver for you.

In regards to the issue with the spinner. I agree we should’ve taken Rashid over Craine. Easily a better bowler and can also hold his own with the bat.

Craine does look like one for the future tbf, but not sure carrying the drinks around for 5 Test matches is gonna achieve. He should’ve been with the lions squad

For the future, I also like the look of Parkinson from Lancs. Seems a decent leggie from what I’ve seen

As far as the spinner problems go in England the ECB have to take a hard look at themselves, as whatever plans they have in motion are not working. There must be a load of Asian born kids who live in the UK now/Uk born with Asian parents who have potential. They need to invest in them and set up academy's abroad so they can bowl in conditions which are spin friendly on a regular basis. No point having them learn their trade in English conditions in a poor first class system. You could say the same as far as fast bowlers go to some extent.

Bit racist?

The best ever spinner was a fat white kid.

Bit racist?

The best ever spinner was a fat white kid.

Who wanted to play Aussie Rules! 

Surprised at how this series has panned out, to be honest. Australia's batting isn't anything to write home about, yet they've been made to look dominant, one innings in Adelaide aside. 

Looking at England, zero contributions from Cook, Ali, Broad, Stokes not being there and Root only getting starts before getting himself out, you can see why it's gone this way. That's half the best England XI giving between nothing to modest returns on a tour that counts the most. 

The support cast has been ok. Vince, Stoneman, Malan, Overton and Woakes to a lesser degree have done the job they were asked to do, but it isn't enough without the senior players performing at their expected standards. 

It'll be interesting to see the changes for Boxing Day, as that is England's 8th consecutive loss in Australia. I'm actually wondering how many times that has happened in history. 

Australia will go unchanged now with Mitch Marsh getting his breakthrough century. A few selection gambles have paid off for this series, but I am still unsure as to how much of that is down to England's sub-par performances. The tour to South Africa might give a better indication, but the Ashes are secured for now! 

The worst thing about the Ashes being over already is the fact that I can’t sit up on Christmas night and eat crap and get bladdered whilst watching the cricket.

Gutted.

Yeah, you can, mate... first morning of an MCG Boxing Day Test is a one-off. 

Precisely because you're bloated and hazy from Christmas Day, and the answer is to just enjoy and keep going.

Forget the state of the series, eat, drink and stay merry.

Who wanted to play Aussie Rules! 

Surprised at how this series has panned out, to be honest. Australia's batting isn't anything to write home about, yet they've been made to look dominant, one innings in Adelaide aside. 

Looking at England, zero contributions from Cook, Ali, Broad, Stokes not being there and Root only getting starts before getting himself out, you can see why it's gone this way. That's half the best England XI giving between nothing to modest returns on a tour that counts the most. 

The support cast has been ok. Vince, Stoneman, Malan, Overton and Woakes to a lesser degree have done the job they were asked to do, but it isn't enough without the senior players performing at their expected standards. 

It'll be interesting to see the changes for Boxing Day, as that is England's 8th consecutive loss in Australia. I'm actually wondering how many times that has happened in history. 

Australia will go unchanged now with Mitch Marsh getting his breakthrough century. A few selection gambles have paid off for this series, but I am still unsure as to how much of that is down to England's sub-par performances. The tour to South Africa might give a better indication, but the Ashes are secured for now! 

We'll go OK in SA, as usual.

Remember, this is exactly what happened last time.

We pumped England 5-0, went to South Africa and won.

And then fell away... 

I'm not sure what to make of this Series, probably because I can't get over how bad - most mentally - England appear to be.

The England side we played 4 years ago was much better, and had just beaten us 3-0.

This England team really has been a massive disappointment. And I can't help but think discord, or indiscipline, or something - other than just talent - is part of it.

Because, other than OK bowlers and Steve Smith, Australia is just so-so.

We'll go OK in SA, as usual.

Remember, this is exactly what happened last time.

We pumped England 5-0, went to South Africa and won.

And then fell away... 

I'm not sure what to make of this Series, probably because I can't get over how bad - most mentally - England appear to be.

The England side we played 4 years ago was much better, and had just beaten us 3-0.

This England team really has been a massive disappointment. And I can't help but think discord, or indiscipline, or something - other than just talent - is part of it.

Because, other than OK bowlers and Steve Smith, Australia is just so-so.

Pretty much my thoughts on it all.