You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester Arena Explosions?

Anubis

Do we know whether there is any correlation (let alone a causal link) between going to a faith school and committing acts of terrorism?

I'm just not convinced that state-enforced secularism has done much to keep France safe from Islamist murderers, so I'm disinclined to advocate trying it here. 

Given the intellectual calibre of the terrorists we know of, I'd say there's a direct correlation between not going to school and committing acts of terrorism. The perpetrators seem to be (or are portrayed as being) impressionable, educationally subnormal quislings. 

I'm very sceptical of this. Sorry, I've seen this done before.

Blair did the same thing four days before the march against the Iraq war, citing some fictional threat against airports and putting tanks outside them. It was a blatant attempt to intimidate people into not marching and I'm pleased to say it failed.

Can't help but think this smacks of a desperate move to prop May up as though she's a strong leader.

I would usually be of the same mindset, but I was already thinking of the last twelve months in France. It feels like they are targeting elections, serves Isis to see the populist right win a mandate to sow further division.

• Upvote 1

The filthy, ugly, thick, barren, unfucked, unfuckable cunt is acting like she was actually elected to the job she has.

Kinda going out on a limb here and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm getting the impresssion you're not a fan?

• Upvote 1

Given the intellectual calibre of the terrorists we know of, I'd say there's a direct correlation between not going to school and committing acts of terrorism. The perpetrators seem to be (or are portrayed as being) impressionable, educationally subnormal quislings. 

Not to say that secular schools don't do this, but my understanding of the foundation of faith schools is their declared values.  The ones I know outline their point of difference as their purpose to instil respect, honour, tolerance and empathy into young people.  The opposite of Tory voters, in fact.

The usual rhetoric of the "Muslim community" needing to speak out against these attacks and to do more to try and stop them is being trotted out.

I don't get it. The muslim community?

I know there's Muslim communities, in that there's areas with higher than average Muslim population. But, a singular, united Muslim community with some sort of invisible string that ties all Muslims together to form a single "community"? That draws people from different demographics together such as an Arabic speaking Muslim from Syria, a French speaking Muslim from Burkina Faso, a Bengali speaking Muslim from Bangladesh, people who would otherwise not be linked, into a community?

I don't get it. The Muslim community? What does that even mean?

Plus, why is there a default assumption that most Muslims know what their neighbours and local fellow Muslims are up to? I don't even know my neighbours names, let alone their business. I know people in the local area to talk to. But it's often just small talk. Nothing which presents me with information about their plans for the week. A while back, a local bloke, who people would talk to on the street, murdered a local girl and hid her body in his washing machine. Nobody in the community knew he was planning that.

I digress, but it seems like meaningless shit like this is just as typical after a terrorist attack now as the candle lighting, the vigils and the Facebook profile pic filters.

Off the top of my head we know that there are mosques where the immans preach hate. It usually takes a TV show to unmask them. Some people in the congregation must feel uncomfortable with the preaching but say nothing.

None of you seem willing to accept that there is support for ISIS etc in these communities.

• Upvote 1

Some of the stories of peoples lucky escapes are breathtaking. Shaun Ryder almost went to that concert but didn't and Amir Khan has been to the MEN before. It could have been them dammit.

I watched Lionel Richie there last year. I cried. 

I watched Lionel Richie there last year. I cried.

Don't understand peoples need to try and tie themselves to a disaster as if it makes them involved/important.

I imagine facebook is a hive of bullshittery with people 100's of miles away who never left their houses that night marking themselves as safe so the people in the same room as them don't worry.

Don't understand peoples need to try and tie themselves to a disaster as if it makes them involved/important.

I imagine facebook is a hive of bullshittery with people 100's of miles away who never left their houses that night marking themselves as safe so the people in the same room as them don't worry.

Someone my Mrs knows marked themselves as safe; she's in Egypt.

• Upvote 7

It's a phenomenon in itself, I imagine someone's studying it somewhere. There was an image on the news last night of a pizza delivery company taking pizzas to A&E, it reminded me of this. 

Waynes-World-product-plac-001.jpg

As I said further up the thread, I think the fact we don't really have a sense of community these days - people don't talk to each other or feel they belong, it's only when something 'communal' happens  where they can gather, either physically or on social media, that they feel like they've got some kind of part to play. Tragic in itself really. 

• Upvote 1

The Carli Lloyd incident is weird, she takes to twitter to talk about what's happened and then to tell everyone not to worry, she's safe. She gets dogs abuse and then says she just added

that to let her family know.

Who the fuck takes to twitter to communicate with their family to tell them they're safe from a terrorist incident they weren't involved in (although she was in the same postcode this time so at least thats something).

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

My boss in work has just let on his Cousin and his wife were by the blast.  He's in a bad way apparently, hands mangled, groin and stomach peppered with shrapnel, multiple operations over the past 36 hours.  To top it off his wife "has yet to be identified" which is almost certainly a euphemism for dead at this point.  Only saving grace is his 14 year old daughter came out unscathed.  Can only imagine what she's going through at such a tender age though. 

• Upvote 2

My boss in work has just let on his Cousin and his wife were by the blast.  He's in a bad way apparently, hands mangled, groin and stomach peppered with shrapnel, multiple operations over the past 36 hours.  To top it off his wife "has yet to be identified" which is almost certainly a euphemism for dead at this point.  Only saving grace is his 14 year old daughter came out unscathed.  Can only imagine what she's going through at such a tender age though. 

Fucking grim that. My mate worked at Liverpool Airport during the 7/7 bombing and had gone down to London for a meeting, he got his legs blown off, but get this, the poor bastard had never been to London before.

Not to say that secular schools don't do this, but my understanding of the foundation of faith schools is their declared values.  The ones I know outline their point of difference as their purpose to instil respect, honour, tolerance and empathy into young people.  The opposite of Tory voters, in fact.

Personally I wouldn't allow faith schools of any denomination. They are simply an attempt by believers to indoctrinate their children.

I say this as someone who was raised as a devout Catholic, was sent to a convent school and wasn't even aware that there were other religions until I was about 10 when my parents rebelled against the rest of our family and sent me to a state school.

• Upvote 3

Respect honour tolerance and empathy aren't unique to religious groups.