You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I thought Trent was dreadful. Until his beautiful finish. 

He was terrible. Can’t remember him making a pass to one of our players. Every corner, free kick seemed to go straight to them. 

Matip was good despite being isolated against them and done well not to bring one of them down the way they were desperately looking for and getting free kicks around our box. 

If konate starts today we get slaughtered. They’d have had him running around the pitch like a dog trying to catch the light from a laser pen. 

He can’t be trusted in big games and klopps onto him now. Can see him & Diaz being first out the door if the big money bids come in from abroad next summer. 

4 hours ago, Code said:

Matip is better than Konate, always been. 

There is about 12 years of experience between them so not a good comparison. Konate works better in some games,Matip in others. The fact that both are injury prone means we get one players games per season from both of these added together. Not better,not worse just for different set ups.

• Upvote 2

On 25/11/2023 at 19:19, Red74 said:

If konate starts today we get slaughtered. They’d have had him running around the pitch like a dog trying to catch the light from a laser pen. 

He can’t be trusted in big games and klopps onto him now. Can see him & Diaz being first out the door if the big money bids come in from abroad next summer. 

Christ alive !

• Upvote 3

I think he's generally been outstanding this season after a shaky time last year.

I think his injury record in the middle part of his time here and the fact he's next to Virgil has held back the wider recognition of his ability a bit. He's a terrific player who turns up in big games. While it's 4 years back now he was comfortably the man of the match for me against Spurs in Madrid.

We definitely need to tie him down for at least one more year.

4 hours ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

I've never seen a defender that carries the ball as well as he does. Not in English football anyway.

The media used to wank over Ferdinand if he ventured into the middle of his own half with the ball

Joel hoes past a handful of players  takes it to the oppo box, plays a pass and looks for the 1-2.