You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard to return?

Nelly-Szoboszlai

If Klopp wants him back & only if he wants him back then I'm ok with it, it's not as if he's any kind of a threat to the manager & it can only benefit the club in the long term if Stevie can learn from Jurgen then it's a win win situation.

I doubt very much if he will come back in a playing capacity as other people have mentioned there is a real vibrancy about what Klopp is putting together here & nothing must be allowed to get in the way of that .

Klopp wont jeopardise anything for the club. If Stevie does come back, it'll be on Klopp's terms and, Ive no doubt Stevie will buy into that.

I dont get these undertones that Gerrard sees himself as bigger than the club or Klopp. There's a man sat in the stand who hasnt played for us for years. He wouldnt do anything to adversely affect LFC and neither would Gerrard.

• Upvote 1

Gerrard isn't daft - and i don't think he is the sort to let nostalgia/love of the club cloud things.

He will know he is done as a player - he is struggling in a dogshite American league full of shite players and old men topping up their pensions.

He will know that the PL would pass him by totally and that he would weaken us if he played.

However he is a winner and we need as many winners around a squad that has hardly any as possible...he understands more than most what playing for us is all about and his knowledge, passion, desire and footballing brain could be a very useful thing to have around this young squad in helping them develop and learn and become better.

It would also help him greatly to learn from Klopp and his staff as he sets out on his own possible journey to one day maybe being manager of LFC - what a great aid to his apprenticeship learning from Klopp could be and we could benefit from what he learns further down the line.

• Upvote 1

I think he'd actually get a game as the deeper midfielder if we had enough injuries and he was registered. Apart from that it's a natural move for him coming back to the club in some official role, and Klopp is not going to be overawed by his presence. He'd be like our off-the-field captain but that's only because Henderson hasn't quite got the stripes or the confidence for it yet.

I'd absolutely love to have him back here, obviously not a starting role but another body in midfield, games against parked bus sides he would be a great option for 20 or 30 minutes.

This is how I see it.  He doesn't need to have pace, he's hardly some one-trick Michael Owen pony.  If he wants to play for us and Klopp has a space for him then do it.  If he wants to hang up his boots then bring him back as all round good guy.  

According to The Times journalist Henry Winter, Steven Gerrard has been offered a coaching role by The FA.

​Sunday Supplement says FA has held talks with Liverpool legend and he has been offered a job to coach younger ages of England national team​.​

​"This is not just about Liverpool," Winter said. "There are ramifications for England as well.

According to The Times journalist Henry Winter, Steven Gerrard has been offered a coaching role by The FA.

​Sunday Supplement says FA has held talks with Liverpool legend and he has been offered a job to coach younger ages of England national team​.​

​"This is not just about Liverpool," Winter said. "There are ramifications for England as well.

fuck off ingerlund.

last thing we need is him being exposed to the shite methods in that set up and them leaving a mark on him...

get him learning from klopp and klopps team and we can benefit from that in the future - keep him well away from the fucking shitebag ingerlund and fa set up

• Upvote 1

He casts a big shadow. If he returns to us then he can help the young players but I don't want him near the first team coaching/management structure. Just feel that if we go through a bad run there'll be a whispering campaign for him to come in and save us.

I can't envisage that. He's got no experience and we haven't given a player the job since Dalglish. I'd hope Shearer's failure to have an impact at Newcastle would put people off from even thinking about it, as well.

Arguably our greatest ever player, the "what happens next?" bit was always going to be tricky.

With his CL and international experience, the England set up might suit him.

Apart from inconsequential roles, I really do not see that it  would be in his, or our, best interests to have him around right now.

Maybe a player manager role in the Champ, in the North West would suit?

What i'm fearful of is his presence undermining the manager. Regardless of what anybody says, if he gets put on the coaching staff there will always be beauts calling for Klopp's head after a bad start or a bad run of fixtures and wanting Stevie in to steady the ship.

The situation over at United with Giggs was toxic. I really don't want that here, especially seeing as we have the perfect man in charge right now.