You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who should be our manager next season?

Paco

Who should be our manager next season?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. who's boss?

I think you're right there, Megadriveman. If Rodgers goes thi summer, we'll be on our fifth manager in five calendar years. A turnover like that hints at deeper problems.

It's like when fans of clubs like Sunderland and Villa start calling for their manager's head and they get the 'bounce' the new man brings before they're asking for him to be sacked again.

From our perspective, five in five years would should surely be setting alarm bells ringing.

Hasnt it already?

The weight (and wait) of expectations at this club are pulling us down. The mancs went 26 years without a title for the same reason. People can debate all day long what it was that turned them non runners to that first title (cantona's signing, youth players coming of age in the team, ferguson's mentality etc) but whatever it was, no one said there was a magic formula. It wasnt like they ran away with the title all season.

I remember walking down Walton Breck after our game (which i think was pretty dire) to hear they were about 8 minutes into added time when bruce scored the winner. Everyone went 'they'll win the fucking league now.

I think the biggest thing we have and are missing is the win at all cost mentality. We need the drive to not get beat whether that be at places like arsenal or stoke away.

I dont know how you identify players who have it but maybe we will have to be more pragmatic and play not to get beat if we get to a position like we did with chelsea to play last season?

This was in an era when;

1. Man City were shit. We were expected to be in the top four year in year out.

2. English clubs were dominant in Europe. Real Madrid had the likes of Thomas Gravesen playing for them.

3. Rafa Benitez was seen as a top manager in Europe. Certain players admitted he played a big part in them joining us. I don't think that would happen now personally.

I have voted for Klopp as I think he could help us attract a higher level of player than Rodgers ever will. Otherwise I would keep Rodgers for one more season. 

In all honesty I think its a moot point as we will never really be able to challenge again unless FSG completely change their strategy this summer. We won't compete whoever the manager is unless the club are prepared to offer bigger fees and bigger wages than the rest of the league.

English clubs were dominant pretty much because they were very good.

We saw off some brilliant sides in Europe under Rafa including, the great all conquering Milan team, Juventus, Barcelona with Messi, Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Deco, even the Real Madrid team that we destroyed had the following line up;

Real Madrid: Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro (Van der Vaart 64), Pepe, Heinze, Robben (Marcelo 46), Lassana Diarra, Gago (Guti 77), Sneijder, Raul, Higuain.

You couldn't see a Brendan Rodgers team winning against the above team now, could you?

Put Rafa back in charge, we will do well in Europe again because that's what he does.

• Upvote 1

I think the biggest thing we have and are missing is the win at all cost mentality. We need the drive to not get beat whether that be at places like arsenal or stoke away.

I dont know how you identify players who have it but maybe we will have to be more pragmatic and play not to get beat if we get to a position like we did with chelsea to play last season?

Unfortunately, it is often the manager who inspires players to have that sort of mentality. As much as I despise Ferguson, can you imagine any of his players giving less than 100% and getting away with it? We have put in some piss poor performances lately and Rodgers has come out and called them "outstanding" so you really have to wonder what message that sends out to the players.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, it is often the manager who inspires players to have that sort of mentality. As much as I despise Ferguson, can you imagine any of his players giving less than 100% and getting away with it? We have put in some piss poor performances lately and Rodgers has come out and called them "outstanding" so you really have to wonder what message that sends out to the players.

Fair point, but some players are naturally like that, players who run themselves into the ground like Dirk, players who take it as a personal insult when things don't go their way like Luis & Masch. That doesn't come from the manager. Some players naturally have that 'never say die' spirit. Too many of our side are like choirboys, things aren't going their way, they don't get angry, they go missing. Even more so, when you have the likes of Glen Johnson who seemingly doesn't give a fuck. As we found last season with Luis' attitude, it's infectious.

• Upvote 1

Fair point, but some players are naturally like that, players who run themselves into the ground like Dirk, players who take it as a personal insult when things don't go their way like Luis & Masch. That doesn't come from the manager. Some players naturally have that 'never say die' spirit. Too many of our side are like choirboys, things aren't going their way, they don't get angry, they go missing. Even more so, when you have the likes of Glen Johnson who seemingly doesn't give a fuck. As we found last season with Luis' attitude, it's infectious.

He has binned off quite a lot of the stronger mentalities though.

• Upvote 1

He has binned off quite a lot of the stronger mentalities though.

Exactly. And he's never adequately replaced them. I do not want Rodgers given anymore money to buy average players. In his 3 years here, Can is the only CM he's bought & he plays him in Defence. Arguably our best CM, he tried to get rid of in Hendo. I just don't trust him to bring the necessary quality in. He's had 3 years to strengthen one of our weakest areas & he hasn't done that.

5 years ago people would have said that there was no chance that we would have Hodgson as a manager.  And that the same useless cunt would end up managing England after we had a dose of sense and sacked the fucking idiot.

I'm not advocating a case for Benitez coming back, but never say never, especially with FSG holding the reins.

are you sure Hodgson never planned a short stay, with a sacking and a 7 million payout,

his flippant responses to defeats would suggest so.

What makes you think that mate?

I really don't see what people have got against FSG. They've been true to their word and have run us fairly well in terms of running a modern day footy club.

Appointing losers with no track record in key positions has been their downfall. It's seen most of our money wasted.

The club is stacked full of losers, so that's what we do - lose.

I think you're right there, Megadriveman. If Rodgers goes thi summer, we'll be on our fifth manager in five calendar years. A turnover like that hints at deeper problems.

It's like when fans of clubs like Sunderland and Villa start calling for their manager's head and they get the 'bounce' the new man brings before they're asking for him to be sacked again.

From our perspective, five in five years would should surely be setting alarm bells ringing.

Deeper problems? The top management of the club thought it a good idea to sack Rafa Benítez and replace him with Roy Hodgson.

No need to look deep, our problems are staring you right in the face.

• Upvote 1

I personally believe we need to change our whole strategy, the way we have dealt with our striking problems has been really poor, it actually saddens me when I see Rickie Lambert starting up front for us, and the other options are Borini and Balotelli - how those options have been used as well has been an absolute cluster fuck...there isn't a team with ambitions of finishing up the top of their league with worse options than what we have up front after spending a fucking fortune in the summer and spending it on the wrong players and in the wrong positions.

Those responsible don't deserve the chance to put it right after such incompetence or more to the point can't be trusted to put it right.