You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Raheem Sterling Thread (Part 412)

bouncebrigade

And this highlights again the "shitness of modern football". A lack of boo-ing is now the equivalent of patience.

Yes, he is a fucking kid at 20. I would expect that of a 34/35yr old, precisely because he isn't a kid.

Wages are irrelevant to me, because the figures mentioned are just unfathomable to normal people living within a normal salary range, but would I like him to get a new contract? Yes, because I think he'll go on to develop into a quality player. Not a Messi or Ronaldo, but certainly a player I'd rather keep at the club now, than be turned down by if we were trying to sign someone of that quality, from say, a Dortmund.

You keep saying he's 'a kid.'

Some fucking 'kid' who's holding out for 150 grand a week while still being on a 'paltry' 35 grand a week.

You say wages are irrelevant to you. Fair enough. I dont have a problem with players earning mega bucks. But, the operative word is 'earning' and he isnt doing that.

You keep saying he's 'a kid.'

Some fucking 'kid' who's holding out for 150 grand a week while still being on a 'paltry' 35 grand a week.

You say wages are irrelevant to you. Fair enough. I dont have a problem with players earning mega bucks. But, the operative word is 'earning' and he isnt doing that.

And Daniel Radcliffe is worth over £100m (I think), most of it earned when he was a kid. What the fuck does age have to do with wages? You can still be a kid and earn huge amounts of money - the 2 things are not mutually exclusive.

Can you point to a player that's gone from promising youth player to first team player and had absolutely no period in their careers where they've plateaued and been poor for periods, only to kick on again?

So he isn't "earning" it at the moment, but what if his form next season is so spectacular he's worth £300k/wk? I don't think he will, but it shows how your argument is purely focussed  the instant, and not looking at the bigger picture. His wage (either current or desired) has no bearing on whether you should want him sold or not.

His performance level has dropped because his head has been up his arse ever since the contract business went public and he did his BBC interview.

I suspect he will leave this summer one way or another but that's not the best for the Club.

We stand a better chance of being a better team next season if he stays because as I've mentioned already it's us as fans who have our heads up our arse if we think we will be bringing in one single player this summer who is better.

And Daniel Radcliffe is worth over £100m (I think), most of it earned when he was a kid. What the fuck does age have to do with wages? You can still be a kid and earn huge amounts of money - the 2 things are not mutually exclusive.

Can you point to a player that's gone from promising youth player to first team player and had absolutely no period in their careers where they've plateaued and been poor for periods, only to kick on again?

So he isn't "earning" it at the moment, but what if his form next season is so spectacular he's worth £300k/wk? I don't think he will, but it shows how your argument is purely focussed  the instant, and not looking at the bigger picture. His wage (either current or desired) has no bearing on whether you should want him sold or not.

Well given he only signed a contract last year IF his performances were to go up to a £300k per week player do you actually believe he wouldn't be banging on that door for it?

His performance level has dropped because his head has been up his arse ever since the contract business went public and he did his BBC interview.

I suspect he will leave this summer one way or another but that's not the best for the Club.

We stand a better chance of being a better team next season if he stays because as I've mentioned already it's us as fans who have our heads up our arse if we think we will be bringing in one single player this summer who is better.

If we can't attract a better player than Sterling then we really are in trouble.

Don't think it's anything to do with football or how playing with other players will make him a better player, because unlike someone like Michael Owen, he's genuinely never come across as someone who's a perfectionist when it comes to his career and his game.

Far from it, he seems more arsed about off the pitch atuff.

He's not that bright, and I suspect this head's been turned, probably by his agent and family. Maybe players at other clubs have had a word. I suspect as I've said in the past he'll end up at arsenal with a few more quid in his pocket.

And what the fuck has a film 'star' got to do with a football player? Fuck all. The fact is, if radcliffe had of put in some shit performances, he'd have been replaced by some similar geek looking kid, irrespective of age, personal fortune or wages.

The point that is clearly going over your head is that any player, irrespective of age, who is demanding 150k a week should be able to justify those wages week in, week out.

Its fucking laughable you're making excuses for a young player who's plateaued doesnt have to turn in consistent performances for that 150 grand a week.

He's supposed to be 'concentrating on his football' according to himself. Yeah right, looks like he is as well.

And the Harry Potter films have earned billions for Warner Brothers. How much has Sterling generated for LFC? Not a lot in comparison I'm guessing.

• Upvote 1

And what the fuck has a film 'star' got to do with a football player? Fuck all. The fact is, if radcliffe had of put in some shit performances, he'd have been replaced by some similar geek looking kid, irrespective of age, personal fortune or wages.

The point that is clearly going over your head is that any player, irrespective of age, who is demanding 150k a week should be able to justify those wages week in, week out.

Its fucking laughable you're making excuses for a young player who's plateaued doesnt have to turn in consistent performances for that 150 grand a week.

He's supposed to be 'concentrating on his football' according to himself. Yeah right, looks like he is as well.

No - the point isn't going over my head. My point is that wages are irrelevant in discussing the merits of a player. I keep saying that salary should be left out of the conversation, but it's the posters like you that keep bringing it back in. I made the DR point to highlight that age has nothing to do with earnings in crazy industries like football/movies, so to keep using our own life experiences (I'm presuming you don't earn 6 figures a week here, so forgive me if you do) and attitudes when it comes to footballers is ridiculous. 

And the Harry Potter films have earned billions for Warner Brothers. How much has Sterling generated for LFC? Not a lot in comparison I'm guessing.

Sterling is a bet with the future. We can't sign ready made players for the first team. Well, we can, but they're mostly ready made for Southampton not us, so in order to try and get quality players we have do do things like offer a 15yr old Raheem Sterling more money than any other club. 

By giving hi the contract, you make a bet that in 1/2/3 years we get a genuinely class player. I'll take that gamble every day of the week, because for we'd waste that money on other gambles anyway, because that's all FSG allow us to do.

He's already at the club, so there is no transfer fee, and we got him for fuck all. Lets say we tell him to fuck off wit his new contract, once we've spunked his fee on some more mid-table shit, then what good are his wage savings then? I don't see a line of players lining up to play for Englands 7th-5th placed team every year. 

He could turn out to be the next SWP or the next SUarez. No one fucking knows, but the fact he's here already and we're saving another fuckload of wages this summer with SG, and GJ leaving (amongst others), and that money isn't going to be reinvested into the club with established players. Sterling has come a long way since last Christmas when I wasn't opposed to seeing hi loaned out. It's perfectly natural for footballers to plateaux and regress before jumping forward again.

• Upvote 1

The club made a rod for its own back by paying Sturridge 150 grand a week to sit at home praising God for his latest injury. You can't blame Sterling for chancing his arm in those circumstances.

However, we're well blessed in his department with Ibe and Ojo having the potential to be just as good, and it's cheaper to get their names printed on your shirt too. If we can sell him for £40m it represents a decent bit of business.

• Upvote 1

If it were true and the money went all on a top striker, it'd be a positive for the club, as in Ibe, Lallana, Markovic (if played in his preferred position) there are a number to take his place, but with a much higher guarantee of goals into the bargain with the incoming shit-hot striker. Make Sturridge earn his spot back from the bench competing with Origi for game time. He can hardly complain given his injury record of late.