You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

If the reports are correct that it'll cost £15m for Clyne then i hope the club send Southampton a £15m offer first thing Monday morning, he's worth every penny of that and is by far the best right back we can attract.

• Upvote 1

If the reports are correct that it'll cost £15m for Clyne then i hope the club send Southampton a £15m offer first thing Monday morning, he's worth every penny of that and is by far the best right back we can attract.

It sounds like eye-watering money to me - but then I remember that it's still less than what we paid for Glen Johnson, so...

James Pearce has questioned the Benteke signing...fucking hell! He's either turned on Brendan or Brendan doesn't rate Benteke and this is a committee-ball signing. What is going on at the club??

Does it look like a committee signing, I wouldnt have thought rodgers can use him anymore he could use carroll lambert balotelli.

James Pearce has questioned the Benteke signing...fucking hell! He's either turned on Brendan or Brendan doesn't rate Benteke and this is a committee-ball signing. What is going on at the club??

Does it look like a committee signing, I wouldnt have thought rodgers can use him anymore he could use carroll lambert balotelli.

I understand they aren't perfect, but what exactly are they getting away with?

We've spent big money, Anfield will be expanded- I see plenty of positives.

If Rodgers/committee hadnt been so astrocious in the transfer market we'd all be happy campers with the added bragging rights of not being a "billionaires toy"

Its how we've spent our money that has set us back, not the lack of it.

We've spent big money fsg havent.

We've spent big money fsg havent.[/quot

Its FSGs money no matter how you spin it.

Last summer I'm sure Saints fans were up in arms accusing owners of fleecing the club, keeping the money etc. Koeman spent and spent well.

There lyes the difference

That's pretty much how I feel Dave, we've pissed a lot of money up the wall, signing 2attacking mids last summer for 45m when we already had sterling and coutinho was fucking criminal, then to sign 2 lumbering attackers because the money wasn't available was just pure stupidity.

I can only see this summer going the same way, I would stick with both Manquillo and wisdom as our right back until Flanagan returns, but we are trying to sign Clyne, there was a decent article on sky website about Benteke, basically saying he can be an absolute beast but he thrives off of crosses, we attempted the least amount of crosses out of all teams last year, so he would be our Andy Carroll version 2015.

As much as I hate change for the sake of change, this team with all the money spent has no leaders that were not already here before Brendan got here. I would like to see Klopp given a go, as if what Rodgers says is true and he signs off on all transfers then he has to be held accountable for every single one. If he doesn't have final say on transfers and just accepts the shit he is palmed off with then he doesn't have the strength of character to manage us.

I think I'm starting to rant now.....[/quotea

We should find out this week one way or anotheranother mate.

Does seem strange we're tabling bids for Clyne with uncertainty over Rodgers. Unless its agreed he's staying.

If he is you can guarantee we'll pay 35m for Benteke

We've spent big money fsg havent.[/quot

Its FSGs money no matter how you spin it.

Last summer I'm sure Saints fans were up in arms accusing owners of fleecing the club, keeping the money etc. Koeman spent and spent well.

There lyes the difference

Yeah they employ half decent staff.

We spent is different to them spending or as it could be looked upon as, investing their own money over and above what they bought the club for which they will double when they sell.

TV rights three massive deals since theyve been here, the dunkin donuts standard charter warrior money.

We just seem to respend our outgoing sales for players. Why did we not spend in january? Again they penny pinch to our detriment, funny thing is spending what we recoup on transfers is what moores did plus 20m a season investment, they sold the club on the proviso the investment wasnt enough to bridge the gap, the next two owners invest their own money less than moores did relatively speaking, collymore cost more than balotelli in todays terms. Carroll and lallana or other big outlays have always been after selling someone for more money.

So I dont see how they do spend big relatively speaking they invest less of their own money than moores we would have been better keeping it in the family. Fsg can do with us as they wish, these are the type of people hicks and gillette aspired to be.

That's pretty much how I feel Dave, we've pissed a lot of money up the wall, signing 2attacking mids last summer for 45m when we already had sterling and coutinho was fucking criminal, then to sign 2 lumbering attackers because the money wasn't available was just pure stupidity.

I can only see this summer going the same way, I would stick with both Manquillo and wisdom as our right back until Flanagan returns, but we are trying to sign Clyne, there was a decent article on sky website about Benteke, basically saying he can be an absolute beast but he thrives off of crosses, we attempted the least amount of crosses out of all teams last year, so he would be our Andy Carroll version 2015.

As much as I hate change for the sake of change, this team with all the money spent has no leaders that were not already here before Brendan got here. I would like to see Klopp given a go, as if what Rodgers says is true and he signs off on all transfers then he has to be held accountable for every single one. If he doesn't have final say on transfers and just accepts the shit he is palmed off with then he doesn't have the strength of character to manage us.

I think I'm starting to rant now.....[/quotea

We should find out this week one way or anotheranother mate.

Does seem strange we're tabling bids for Clyne with uncertainty over Rodgers. Unless its agreed he's staying.

If he is you can guarantee we'll pay 35m for Benteke

Hes not in charge of transfers fsg want him to coach, other figures have more control over it than him. So I wouldnt read anything into it anymore than when purslow was buying players when we didnt even have a manager.

Three main positions in our best eleven need to be strengthened - striker, midfielder, right back. (When Origi comes and if we sign Ings, I see them as replacements for Borini and Lambert).

In the context of three main plays being needed, I'd behappy with signing Clyne. He is a good fullback. Pace. Gets stuck in. Goes up and down the flank. There's a lot to like. I've watched him a lot this season and he has impressed me. I thought he would be off to Man Utd so if we sign him that would be good.

However...

The order of priority for the above three signings is striker first and foremost. This is clear to everyone. If we end up moving Lambert and Borini on, and then we bring in Origi and Ings, and that's it, then spending money on Clyne is a mistake. Addressing the third priority and not the first would be folly. But if Clyne is one of three main signings to improve the best eleven we can currently put on the pitch, then bring it on.

• Upvote 4

But hes far from a top class pacey direct skillful striker we need. Hes not bad with the ball at his feet and he can finish. But the best football we've played under Rodgers has been when we've had pacey, direct, skillful strikers.

So who is out there fitting those criteria who would choose us over the other financial giants (who would undoubtedly want a player like that)? Besides, Benteke ticks both the pacey and direct boxes. While not exactly nagic with his feet, it's not exactly Carlton Cole we're after either... He's hard - working as well, I really can't see a big downside to signing him. If he can come back from a ruptured tendon stronger than ever, he'll be unlucky to spend much time on the sideline with us.

I'd be very happy if we could get all of Benteke, Milner and Clyne. They would inject much needed strength, workrate and pace into our side. If we can get Kovacic as well, it would be our best transfer window in a long time. Ings is the one link I'm not thrilled about, as I don't see him as much better than what we've already got. If we have Benteke, Sturridge, Origi and Balotelli to choose from (possibly Sterling???), that will give us plenty of options. If we let go of all of Sterling, Lambert, Borini and Balotelli (unlikely imo), he might have a role to play as 3rd/4th choice though...

I'm not sold on Clyne at all. Last Summer we bought a left back based on his ability to attack and got destroyed down that side constantly because he couldn't defend. Clyne is better than Moreno going forward but he is just as shite defensively as he showed against us this season.

I don't have alternative suggestions to come forward with but I'd much rather we got someone in the Arbeloa or Finnan mould than someone who'll cost us more goals than he creates over a season.

Keep seeing Trippier linked with a move away for as little as £4m/£5m. Isn't he quite good?

I'd just get Abate on a free. He's better than Clyne, and it would allow us to spend the whole budget on a striker and a holding midfielder.

But what of our yearly donation/s to Southampton.

Or maybe he just has doubts about getting Benteke as our main man for 32m, I'm still fully behind BR but I don't want Benteke for that price.

I like Clyne, but not if stumping up for him means we keep lowballing Inter for Kovacic or have less money for the striker we need.

A mobile forward and a midfielder of quality are essential. Flanagan showed that you can afford to have a more limited player at fullback if necessary, providing the team is functioning well elsewhere.

Hearing we're after Benteke makes no sense with Rodgers at the helm. I can only assume he's either off or has convinced someone that - like the CB situation - he just didn't have the right players at his disposal, and that this target man will be different.