You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

As I said previously I believe it had to similar to the earlier episodes (maybe a bit too similar), to revive the old characters and to introduce the new ones. Now the ground work has been done I assume the next episodes will go off on their own story arc.

Does anyone have any theories about the back story of Rey? Obviously strong in the Force but also an expert on the MF. The obvious would be Leia and Hans daughter, but they both met her and no mention. Lukes daughter?

As I said previously I believe it had to similar to the earlier episodes (maybe a bit too similar), to revive the old characters and to introduce the new ones. Now the ground work has been done I assume the next episodes will go off on their own story arc.

Does anyone have any theories about the back story of Rey? Obviously strong in the Force but also an expert on the MF. The obvious would be Leia and Hans daughter, but they both met her and no mention. Lukes daughter?

I reckon she's definitely Luke's daughter. When Kylo was interrogating her he saw visions of her dreams which included a water based planet with an island. When she met Luke at the end it was on a planet of the same description.

Also, part of the map to locate Luke was left on Jakku, conveniently the same place where Rey is.

I reckon after Kylo Ren destroyed the Jedi Academy, Luke stashed Rey on Jakku.

But how did Kylo Ren destroy a whole academy, with probably even Luke there, when he couldnt even win over a none trained future to be jedi.

I'm suspecting all questions for a future episode....

Anyway, did anybody else have a dogshit Clash Of Clans advert with James Corden & Christopher Waltz before the film?

Truly shocking stuff. Corden I expect this level of turd from but Waltz need to give his head a wobble.

I reckon she's definitely Luke's daughter. When Kylo was interrogating her he saw visions of her dreams which included a water based planet with an island. When she met Luke at the end it was on a planet of the same description.

Also, part of the map to locate Luke was left on Jakku, conveniently the same place where Rey is.

I reckon after Kylo Ren destroyed the Jedi Academy, Luke stashed Rey on Jakku.

I thought the same in relation to the island.

Plus when Kylo first heard about a female (with the guard) he lost it, so he knows about a female possibly becoming a great jedi.

Unless it was plot, keeping their feelings hidden (just like Luke with his sister), I refuse to believe Han and Leia would not recognise her.

I thought the same in relation to the island.

Plus when Kylo first heard about a female (with the guard) he lost it, so he knows about a female possibly becoming a great jedi.

Unless it was plot, keeping their feelings hidden (just like Luke with his sister), I refuse to believe Han and Leia would not recognise her.

I agree with all of that and great shout about the woman thing, I forgot about that. At the time I kind of read that as a "I got out-foxed by a woman" thing but then that would go against the grain, i.e. lead part is a woman, potentially the strongest proponent of the force etc.

I need to see it again.

Anyway, it's absolutely ace.

Yes, at times it follows the ANH template a bit too closely but so what, it's cracking film.

I loved virtually everything about it - it sped through at a right pace, it looked and sounds like a Star Wars film, it didn't miss an emotional beat, the action was great, all the new characters were really good - it's everything I could have asked for from the film.

I thought the death of Han was well handled and I liked Chewie going full bezerka after it as well. I had read about a year ago that it was heavily rumoured Han was being killed off so I wasn't overly surprised - Ford had begged Lucas to kill him off in ROTJ so again, the casual observer shouldn't be that surprised.

They didn't really morne Han at the end, I'd had expected some type of funeral scene. I know Leia and Rey's hug was probably mean to be it but considering he's one of the most loved cinema characters of all time, I thought would have got a bit more of a farewell.

Only criticism I did have was the Star Killer (I'm assumed named after Lucas originally called Luke Skywalker, Luke Starkiller) based seemed a bit of an after thought, I wasn't nearly as invested in that as I was the light sabre fight. I didn't feel the sense of destruction from that as I did the Death Star.

I thought Kylo Ren was a great character. I thought he'd been a bit lame in the trailers so was relieved he was an excellent villain. I disagree he that he won't turn back to the 'light', seeing Snoke looks to be about 50ft tall, I bet it takes Rey, Ren & Luke to defeat him at the end of episode 9. Anyway, thats a way away yet.

It took me a good 10 minutes to compose myself at the end of the film. It certainly evoked great childhood memories of me being 6 playing with my action figures.

Only 18 months till episode 8...

The death of Han was completely botched and handled really badly, the scene between Ford and Driver was ok in isolation but a complete lack of set up up between the two apart from a few longing looks into the distance meant we didn't get a chance to really care about the relationship. Equally the fallout was completely glossed over to make room for 'splosions and xwings versus Death Star....Death Star 2.0.....bigger death star This was the death of one of the most iconic characters and it wasn't directly referenced once.

Chewy, for example, is all over Leia when they first meet back up, Han dies and they walk past each other with barely any acknowledgment that the person most important to them is dead so they can have a seen where she hugs a person she's never met (Luke's daughter or not I don't think Han/Leia know about her).

• Upvote 1

I liked it a lot. Probably an 8 or 9 outta ten.

I was most pleased with the lack of CGI overload, nods to the original trilogy and that the acting didn't drip Cuprinol all over the cinema screen and floor.

I can't be arse my to type out spoilers and wrap them so won't.

It built nicely, so very pleased with that and where it might go

The death of Han was completely botched and handled really badly, the scene between Ford and Driver was ok in isolation but a complete lack of set up up between the two apart from a few longing looks into the distance meant we didn't get a chance to really care about the relationship. 

I disagree completely.

You care about his death because you've cared about Han Solo as a character for the best part of 40 years.

You cared about the death of Obi Wan Kenobi despite knowing less about him than you did Solo / Ren.

As I put though, I do agree after he died, there was no outpouring of grief that I'd have expected.

I disagree completely.

You care about his death because you've cared about Han Solo as a character for the best part of 40 years.

You cared about the death of Obi Wan Kenobi despite knowing less about him than you did Solo / Ren.

As I put though, I do agree after he died, there was no outpouring of grief that I'd have expected.

I made no reference the death of Han himself, I was talking about the relationship between Han and Kylo.

It lacked the impact that should have come from Han being killed by his son and the only emotional attachment was from knowing Solo from the originals as a stand alone character. 

The set up and pay off of that relationship was played out in the space of 40 minutes to an hour from introduction, to Snoke providing the rushed, and not very subtle, exposition, two scenes of Han looking at Ren from a distance to the scene where he kills him.

The death of Obi Wan was never meant to play to the audience as an emotional beat in the way Solo's death was (although the tone of that scene changes depending on how you view the prequels), it was always the catalyst to Luke and Vaders story arc with Vader the man who killed his father and the only connection to the family he didn't know.