You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW picks the team v Palace

Paco

who starts v Palace?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. who starts?

2. 2. what formation?

5 years ago:

Fiorentina (CL) 0-2

Chelsea (L) 0-2

Sunderland (L - The beachball game) 0-1

Lyon (CL) 1-2

Rafa was working for the biggest set of bastards ever to own a football team.

Its amazing he held it together so long.

Genuine class manager who exuded control on the touchline.

Just a very good football manager.

Who had plans, and implemented them, at times, wonderfully well.

Didn't need to squat or get his teeth done.

Nobody knows what the fuck they're doing under Dr Gleam.

I really don't think that anyone would have said the Newcastle team was well-constructed when everyone was holding the Pardew Out & Ashley Out signs. Now that they are on a 5 game streak, suddenly everything seems rosy and "Pardew is a great manager.. Cisse is at his best.." bs start to come out again. My point is, if they can bounce back, I'm sure we can too. There has to be a point where the only way is up and someone will step up. Sterling did that for us at the start, now it's someone else's turn.

Of course.

That's because Geordies cant work out where the problem lies.

Their owner is a serial "player farmer".

JWH would probably kill for the sausage machine he has going on up there.

They are lucky to have him, and his scouting team working at their club.

They lost their best player in Cabaye, took it on the chin and remoulded their team.

We lost Saurez and....

I've always thought he was decent, never mind a 5 game streak.

Of course.

That's because Geordies cant work out where the problem lies.

Their owner is a serial "player farmer".

They are lucky to have him and his scouting team working at their club.

They lost their best player in Cabaye, took it on the chin and remoulded their team.

We lost Saurez and....

Ive always thought he was decent, never mind a 5 game streak.

The same 'player farmer' stuck with Pardew when everyone was calling for his head.

Remoulded their team? They bought one whole load of 23s and hoped for the best. Their standout players these few games has been Sissoko, Cisse and Ayoze.

The same 'player farmer' stuck with Pardew when everyone was calling for his head.

Remoulded their team? They bought one whole load of 23s and hoped for the best. Their standout player these few games has been Sissoko and Cisse.

Of course.

Ashley wasn't ever going to fire Pardew. 7 Year contract for a start.

Part of the job description would be "take the flack".

Ashley needs an ultimate blame deflector.

While he regurgitates players and pockets the dough. As i said JW would kill for the business model. Its EXACTLY what they want from the English game.

I'm not knocking them, they've spent the cash this season and Rodgers has spunked it badly.

They lost their best player, and have regrouped and come back well.

Wish we could say the same for us.

We've spent over 100 million and got WORSE.

Of course.

Ashley wasn't ever going to fire Pardew. 7 ear contract fr a start.

Part of the job description would be "take the flack".

Ashley needs an ultimate blame deflector.

I think your missing the point mate.

They lost their best player, and have regrouped and come back well.

Wish we could say the same for us.

We've spent over 100 million and got WORSE.

Mate, we lost our best player, and the impact Suarez had on us FAR exceeds the one that Cabaye had on Newcastle. They took 10 games to 'regroup' and spent quite a bit over the summer too. Percentage wise, I dare say we spent the same amount.

There's a missing cog in our team right now, be it Sturridge or someone else, but we are undergoing the same situation as they were, and who's to say that we won't go on a run of our own in the next 5 games?

Rafa was working for the biggest set of bastards ever to own a football team.

Its amazing he held it together so long.

Genuine class manager who exuded control on the touchline.

Just a very good football manager.

Who had plans, and implemented them, at times, wonderfully well.

Didn't need to squat or get his teeth done.

Nobody knows what the fuck they're doing under Dr Gleam.

Rafa couldn't even keep the players playing for him.  

Nothing very classy about him, certainly not when he was plotting against everyone, leaking garbage all over the press, lying about wanting to stay at the club and deflecting blame for the shite performances.  That's the sort of class you can keep up your arse.  

Nothing very classy about him, certainly not when he was plotting against everyone, leaking garbage all over the press, lying about wanting to stay at the club and deflecting blame for the shite performances.  That's the sort of class you can keep up your arse.

Rafa was class but apparently there eyeing Klopp if Don Maclean gets the hat rack.

To be fair, you could be describing many a top level football manager there. It's a lonely position and being devious is often an asset.

Whilst working for the biggest set of cunts ever to own in the premier league.

You have no idea (and neither do i) about what went on.

We had Purslow signing players for him for fucks sake.

Come back Rafa.....

where do you start with that 2nd goal?

1 shot on target today. 9 shots on target in last 4 games and 1 goal.

hard to argue with those who said it was all down to suarez at the minute. Neville saying take him out and we would ve finished 7th last season.

The Suarez stuff doesn't hold weight. If we'd not bought any players or had champions league football to offer prospective signings then possibly. We were playing some quality football last season, I've never thought Rodgers was the right man for the job - even then - but even I wouldn't take that away from him, Suarez could do a lot of things but he can't get other players playing well in every game, and we were playing some great stuff.

Rodgers is a gifted coach I think, but at the moment that's what he is, a coach, I know it sounds patronising but I think he could use a few years under someone else before he tries to manage a big club again, he's just not ready for it.

• Upvote 2

The Suarez stuff doesn't hold weight. If we'd not bought any players or had champions league football to offer prospective signings then possibly. We were playing some quality football last season, I've never thought Rodgers was the right man for the job - even then - but even I wouldn't take that away from him, Suarez could do a lot of things but he can't get other players playing well in every game, and we were playing some great stuff.

Rodgers is a gifted coach I think, but at the moment that's what he is, a coach, I know it sounds patronising but I think he could use a few years under someone else before he tries to manage a big club again, he's just not ready for it.

Suarez made everybody around him better and more effective, creating space for them, offering them options, creating chances for them, forcing mistakes that they could profit from. Just winning the ball high up and then them being in an advanced position with defenders in trouble etc. His will to win and drive rubbed off on others. His influence can't be underestimated and without it we are much weaker.

He allowed us to be on the front foot and opposition defences were scared shitless of him and this gave our other attackers extra space and as a team gave us an edge.

Look at Raheem he linked with him so well and when he got the ball he knew Suarez would show for it and he knew that Suarez would feed him like against City, he looked to Suarez and it helped him learn and be more confident now he gets it and he looks for options and they aren't there... And he looks lost.

All that said he is gone and it's up to others to step up, something that isn't happening at the moment.

It's up to the manager to get us playing to a system that makes us effective with what we have and sadly he does not have the answer at the moment - I fear he may not have it full stop.

• Upvote 3

To be fair, you could be describing many a top level football manager there. It's a lonely position and being devious is often an asset.

Indeed.  But not when making making half of the fan base look like utter idiots for believing his platitudes.  Some of them are still lapping his bullshit up.