You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ched Evans

Bjornebye

What's it in for Latics though?

Is this a personal matter of principle for the chairman? is he the owner too?

At a push, there might be a very slight argument to say there's some positive publicity from the 'willing to help with rehabilitation' angle, but the potential fall out is large too.

So far, seems sponsors have been quite tactful and opted to let the club decide, but if they do decide to take Evans and social media ramps up with a negative campaign, then everything could change - much like it already did at Sheffield.

Maybe some at Latics has just looked into the case and thinks the lad's not guilty. Hell of a belief to stand by though.

I can see how there's a case for him not being guilty - I'm not in the slam dunk camp, but I wouldn't be sticking my neck out with much certainty on it.

Is he THAT good a player? 

The thing with all this is, I think we all know that if he was a top Premiership player he'd be back in the game already.  Not to say the decision to keep Evans out is necessarily wrong, more that the morals being used by the clubs involved are likely still selective, and ultimately it's probably just going to come down to cash.

I'm not sure I would agree with that . A PL player would be higher profile and even more toxic to any club signing him . Sponsorship money at jeopardy would be much more The rules on playing abroad would still be the same as they are part of the bail conditions set by the DoJ. 

What's it in for Latics though?

Is this a personal matter of principle for the chairman? is he the owner too?

Board seem to think he'll boost their promotion challenge and somebody else will be paying for it. There's already a schism between board and fans over other issues so I don’t think the Chairman is arsed about what the fans think.

Board seem to think he'll boost their promotion challenge and somebody else will be paying for it. There's already a schism between board and fans over other issues so I don’t think the Chairman is arsed about what the fans think.

Well yes, but it's an incredible risk to be taking given what Sheffield already had to deal with.

If they were to gain promotion via him, the backlash could be worse, and if they don't, they've not gained anything.

The board must be as divided as this forum, and the dressing room itself might not be all that happy with the prospect of him arriving.

Had a look on the Oldham forums earlier. The fans seem split about 2/3 against and 1/3 for, but there were a couple of interesting little bits I took from their threads - that the manager doesn't want him but the board are doing it above his head, and that may be explained by the rumour the PFA are going to pay his wages until the end of the season.

Let me give you a bit more context on that point.

Oldham's transfer budget this season was around £50,000.  That's not a typo. For a club who were founding members of the Premier League, their star has burned considerably less brightly in recent seasons.

There's no way on earth that the club could afford the wages of Evans at anything approaching what he was on at Sheffield, you could probably pay most of the first team with that kind of money.  There's also surely no way that, assuming he's still the player he was, he will be staying with a League 1 side who are perennially around the play-off places at Christmas and end up at the top of the bottom third in May.

However given that his rehabilitation into the game needs to start with any club taking him on, with his next move likely to be somewhat easier in maybe a year or 18 months time, I'm sure that what's really interesting Simon Corney (Latics' owner) is the fee the club could land when he moves on.  Even getting £750k-£1m for him is fantasy money to a club in Oldham's financial situation.  That and the goals he would undoubtedly score in League 1 might well be enough to push the deal through in my opinion, especially since the PFA is involved.  Oldham wouldn't have a prayer of signing a player of Evans' quality were it not for the baggage he brings, so I can see that it's a difficult decision for them.

The fact that this move hasn't immediately died a death in the same way that any other clubs he's been linked with suggests to me that the PFA are pushing hard for Oldham to take him because they recognise that every time a club rejects him, it gets more difficult for any others to consider taking him on.

What will be interesting is whether Lee Johnson quits over it because apparently he's not at all keen on the idea.

• Upvote 1

What kind of fucking skewed logic of the world have you got? I can't say I have ever really noticed you around the forum apart from the odd neg here and there. I can only presume you are referring to me as the poster that thinks of themselves as the forum hardman. Well you should pay closer attention, I've had my arse handed to me plenty of times.

Regardless, do you think it's okay for somebody who is a bit of a tit on a forum to have their livelihood attacked? Answer that for me.

Major Fucking Tom repped that. No alarms and no surprises.

People regularly hide behind the anonymity that the intenet provides. If they were to be held accountable for the abuse they hurl they'd soon shut the fuck up I would imagine. But they rarely are. So on they go with impunity.

Had a look on the Oldham forums earlier. The fans seem split about 2/3 against and 1/3 for, but there were a couple of interesting little bits I took from their threads - that the manager doesn't want him but the board are doing it above his head, and that may be explained by the rumour the PFA are going to pay his wages until the end of the season.

It took me about 30 seconds to recollect the link of Oldham to the topic of this thread after all the goings on. The Evans issue had completely escaped me!

Okay Tom, I have done the grown up thing and not engaged with you, because we never have any common ground, but surely you would agree that in general attacking somebody's livelihood is not acceptable?

No, it's not the way to go about things.

I do like to see an internet troll get their comeuppance, mind. Though, from what I have read of you on here, I don't believe you are one (there are one or two, though). But I have no idea what went on between you and SD that preceded his little meltdown.

• Upvote 1

No, it's not the way to go about things.

I do like to see an internet troll get their comeuppance, mind. Though, from what I have read of you on here, I don't believe you are one (there are one or two, though). But I have no idea what went on between you and SD that preceded his little meltdown.

You'll be pleased with Stronts two week ban then.

The thing that irks me is SD hasn't really owned up to what he's done and accepted his wrong doing and he's affected Spy Bee's personal life. There's even been talk of setting Spy Bee up with a new identity over on RAWK.

If this remains the same when once SD has served his ban will he be welcome back here? I know for a fact Usher has already gone in to damage limitation mode with TLW sponsors.

• Upvote 4

I'd just like to point out my name is Dave, I live in Liverpool and work for Eon. I'm a fully paid up member of the Labour Party, love dogs and am a regular church goer.

That makes you a Trigger hating, scalley, granny killing, sell out, bestiality loving , kiddy fiddling  shithead.

No offence

• Upvote 2