You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Vs Southampton (August 17th, 2014)

WhiskeyJar

Rodgers tried to implement a number of tactical developments today. The formation was obviously different, a 4-4-3. Lucas and Gerrard were the holding midfielders, and Henderson played ahead of them, pushing forward, along with the full-backs, who were stationed out wide and also looked to attack whenever possible. Normally this would create a problem for the centre-backs, who would have to mark the strikers and watch the space located on the wings. Rodgers therefore moved Gerrard into the centre of defence when we attacking, where the threat from the wings could be nullified; Lucas was left as the only holding-midfielder. Sterling and Coutinho would try move into the pocket of space in front of the Southampton defence, attempting to overload their midfield and defence, as they would have to deal with 6 players (Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge, Johnson, Manquillo, and Henderson) who were all seeking to provide options, as well as pressing if we lost the ball.

It didn't work very well, however, because of Southampton's pressure and physicality. Sterling and Coutinho consistently failed to turn challenging players and resorted to backwards passes. I think Lallana will be better in this regard because he looks more powerful. Manquillo and Johnson also did little in an attacking sense, constantly running into a splurge of Southampton's players; Moreno may rectify this, I don't know yet. Creating more problems, Lucas didn't have the mobility to close down stop counter-attacks, and he didn't have the ability to play any vaguely productive balls.

In theory, this arrangement was supposed to stop us conceding so many goals, while preserving our attacking potential. Strangely, we never played this formation last season, when it would of suited us more. (There would of been clear problems with the full-backs, but we had one of the best attacking players in the world.) Rodgers probably didn't want to upset Sturridge or Suarez by moving them out wide.

We are going to play teams who set up like Southampton all season, so it's important that we fix these problems. It makes the need for a robust and creative striker more salient. I think we will struggle all season otherwise.

443?

glad thats over. Lovren looks class.

He had an impressive first half, but I thought he was very alarming in the second. He was directly at fault for the equaliser, standing off their boy and allowing him to play Coyne in with a schoolboy trick. He was about 15 yards out of position when Davis missed that sitter and there were two other Southampton chances that I thought he was caught out by. I think Skrtel saved him a few times. I thought it was really concerning, at times.

He had an impressive first half, but I thought he was very alarming in the second. He was directly at fault for the equaliser, standing off their boy and allowing him to play Coyne in with a schoolboy trick. He was about 15 yards out of position when Davis missed that sitter and there were two other Southampton chances that I thought he was caught out by. I think Skrtel saved him a few times. I thought it was really concerning, at times.

I don't disagree with this. He is very similar to Agger.

Pleased with the three points, even if we didn´t really deserve it. Typical opening game really, we looked disjointed and nervous. Difficult to understand why Lucas was given the nod, he was awful. Allen coming on improved us massively I thought, his energy and passing was good and he always shows for the pass. Hopefully he will start against City. 

Anyway, the points are most important. We got the season started with a win. Also, we won a game we lost last season, so we´ve already improved. 

Invest as much in defenders as you want, but if Rodgers can't see that as long as we two central midfielders that can't track opposition players' runs from deep we will keep on shedding in goals. Gerrard is constantly ball watching, he hasn't got a single clue who's making runs behind him. Ward-Prowse kept on sitting in between our defense and midfield lines, and he never even tried to close down that space. And, the less said about Lucas, the better. I've always maintained last season that the reason we concede so much has far more to do with the awful midfield protection than the defense itself. It's so easy for the opposition to get into these threatening positions behind the midfield line, the defense can only do so much. The ridiculously deep defensive line doesn't help either.

Anyway, at least we got the three points, not that we truly deserved these.

I think at this point in his tenure, that isn't a problem which he's trying to solve - it is a characteristic of his tactical style.

Pretty abject for long spells but its about getting the job done at this early stage of the season and we managed to do that.

I can count on one hand that I've looked at our starting eleven since Rodgers took over and shook my head. Today was one of those days, Lucas has no place in our team anymore. We've bypassed him and he held us back today. He goes off, Allen comes on and we managed to sort ourselves out a bit.

But we still started with the wrong formation and hopefully we learn from it. It is hard to draw huge positives as we were so poor but Lovren looked good and I was really, really impressed with Manquillo. He looks intelligent and he made a couple of absolutely crucial blocks. At least we now have a right back who will actively attempt to stop crosses coming in.

We'll be fine and we're still feeling our way into competitive football but that was alarming at times today. That needs to be a one off. And I'm sure it will be.

The first game of the season is a funny one and I think the next few are usually the same as well. I think generally they have no bearing on the season in terms of the type of football teams play or the quality. It's just about getting over the line with the points. I've seen plenty of comments flying round social media about how we will struggle playing like that etc. If you think back to last season we were fucking dreadful at the start and that was after finishing the season in great form. We then went on to play the best football in the league.

When Lucas is binned off we will be able to go back to pressing high up the pitch and we will look a lot better. I think after 5/6 games I think we will be able to tell what sort of game we are going with and how the players are suited to it etc.

It was 4-3-3 with two holding midfielders. Gerrard and Lucas were the holding midfielders and Henderson played ahead. They were a midfield 3, except for when Gerrard moved into the centre-back position.

So I imagined Henderson playing out on the right for the majority of the game? Where then did Coutinho play, because he certainly did not move far from the hole behind Sturridge?

• Upvote 1

So I imagined Henderson playing out on the right for the majority of the game? Where then did Coutinho play, because he certainly did not move far from the hole behind Sturridge?

Coutinho and Sterling sat inside; Johnson and Manquillo were supposed to provide attacking width. Henderson was further forward, trying to add numbers to the attack. As I said, we aren't a static side so the only way you can describe the formation is through designating each line with their roles.

Coutinho and Sterling sat inside; Johnson and Manquillo were supposed to provide attacking width. Henderson was further forward, trying to add numbers to the attack. As I said, we aren't a static side so the only way you can describe the formation is through designating each line with their roles.

So, we had 2 deep lying midfielders, with 3 more offensive midfielders behind a lone striker? Kind of says 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 to me, and at least 1 other person who has posted in this thread.

Anyway, who really cares? We won, just, but 3 points is 3 points.

So, we had 2 deep lying midfielders, with 3 more offensive midfielders behind a lone striker? Kind of says 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 to me, and at least 1 other person who has posted in this thread.

Anyway, who really cares? We won, just, but 3 points is 3 points.

No not really. Gerrard became a centre-back r most of the game until we switched back to the diamond. Lucas was the only holding-midfielder. But yes, you are right. You can't really designate the shape too well with any set formation. I just thought that 4-3-3 was what described it best.