You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Vs Arsenal

WhiskeyJar

I got negged for suggesting that last time we played them.

I will be amazed if Rodgers dares to that especially at home. Sturridge is scoring every game and the place would go nuclear if he benched him and lost. Its a fair point though but probably academic

I think the pragmatic thing to do in this game is to have Sturridge starting the game on the bench. Play Suarez up front and support him with Sterling and Coutinho, have Gerrard, Henderson and Allen in midfield. But i cannot see Sturridge being dropped in this game, his form is excellent, and as much impact as he can have from the bench he can have more from the start. So i think he'll let Arsenal see quite a lot of the ball and then counter them quick and have their defence worry about Sturridge, Sterling and Suarez.

I think the pragmatic thing to do in this game is to have Sturridge starting the game on the bench. Play Suarez up front and support him with Sterling and Coutinho, have Gerrard, Henderson and Allen in midfield. But i cannot see Sturridge being dropped in this game, his form is excellent, and as much impact as he can have from the bench he can have more from the start. So i think he'll let Arsenal see quite a lot of the ball and then counter them quick and have their defence worry about Sturridge, Sterling and Suarez.

The fear is that he can't have an impact if we can't get him the ball and on the evidence of last time  that is a real possibility . You could be even more radical and leave Suarez on the bench, Hell of a sub to bring on !! 

Anyway ain't going to happen. He'll set up as he did for the Bitters game ; unfortunately Wenger will have that worked out too. Key to this is how we defend , we can't afford any cocks ups.

That Sturridge on the bench idea is a damn good one, Coutinho left, Sterling right, gives us a 5 man midfield mirroring theirs, reverting to 4-3-3 on the attack. Suarez always plays better as the lone striker anyway, i hope Rodgers is bold enough.

• Upvote 1

Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool expect to win every match they play at home as they attempt to beat Arsenal in the league for the first time since March 2007.

Liverpool have lost just once in the last 18 home matches and have already scored the same number of league goals at Anfield as they did in the whole of last season at home - 33.

Liverpool are currently fourth in the league and Rodgers acknowledged the expectation at the club amongst both the players and the supporters is different now to when he first joined in 2012.

"Our home form has been brilliant and that is vitally important for any team, especially a team who wants to be challenging at the top of the table," he said.

"Our home form has been brilliant and that is vitally important for any team, especially a team who wants to be challenging at the top of the table"

Brendan Rodgers

"We are going to go into each game looking to win the game. There is a greater confidence now.

"I certainly sensed (last season) there was maybe that little bit of fear of playing at Anfield because of the result.

"What we've tried to do over the course of the time I've been here is focus on the performance.

"You worry so much about the result but there is a process to getting the result - and if you worry too much about the result only it can hinder your performance.

"We want to win but what we can look to control is how we win and our performance level.

"That's something that over time has given us a confidence and a greater belief in winning games. We'll aim to replicate that at the weekend.

"We will always respect every opponent we play and none more so than the leaders but we will come into the game looking to perform and hopefully win.

"We expect to win now. I think when I first came in the pressure to win was difficult for us.

Redknapp's Liverpool v Arsenal Preview

"We expect it because of the size of the club but we were never that confident to consistently do it, but now we go into every game expecting to win and none more so than at Anfield."

Arsenal won 2-0 the last time the two sides met in November, but Rodgers believes this weekend's clash is of greater importance as Liverpool try and secure qualification for the Champions League with a top-four finish.

"Our confidence wasn't so good (at the Emirates) and you have to give credit to Arsenal, who played well in that game.

"We understand the magnitude of this game and it could give us an extra push for the remaining games."

Hate playing Arsenal they always seem to have our number. As good as Sterling has been in the last 2 months I drop him for this purely for tactical reasons and have a front 3 of Sturridge, Suarez and Coutinho with Allen Gerrard and Hendo in the middle, we can't let arsenal dominate the ball because, Cazorla Ozil and Wilshire can all hurt us.

Completely agree.

It has to be Sterling, Coutinho is our best link between the midfield and attack by an absolute mile.

We will need the extra body (Allen) in midfield for obvious reasons.

Don't expect this to happen though, Rodgers will try the same as against Everton.

Derby on LFCTV now. Convinced Coutinho has to start and I think the big difference will be Gerrard. If half the player that showed up in Derby arrives we'll win. First 20 minutes he was as good as I've ever seen him, his passion and drive was incredible. He allowed us the platform to kick on and without Coutinho to take advantage I'm not sure we would have controlled play as well with such a threat.

If that Gerrard shows up and we have no one to link the attack it will be criminal. Fuck fear, trust Gerrard's big game attitude and destroy them from the start. This isn't the Emirates, it's Anfield and a shy baby gets no fucking sweets.

I can't wait for this now!

• Upvote 1

Fuck me I hate fucking Arsenal. Just when you think they're gonna drop down the table this season which might shut their wanker sanctimonious fans up for a while, oh no, they're like a bad smell, lingering about.

"they're the only team you'd pay to watch" blah blah blah

" wengers unearthed another gem" blah blah blah

" hoof ! " blah blah blah

I despise arsenal. 4-0 fuck them.

• Upvote 1

It will go the same as the rest of our home games. Rodgers doesn't know another way. We'll stick 11 players behind the ball and park the bus for 90 minutes, probably escaping with a 0-0 draw. We'll then have the usual geniuses coming on here to hail it as some kind of masterclass.

Would Alberto be a useful option off the bench when trying to hold a lead, if Allen, Henderson and Gerrard all start? Given Joe's injury record of late, he'd be lucky to last 90 minutes. Alberto seems tidy on the ball but wouldn't want him coming on if chasing the game. That might be where Sterling could be very handy, running in behind their tired defence. 

I've got a sportsmen's night in my town tonight, the guest speaker being the captain of my Aussie Rules team that won back-to-back titles against one of the best teams of the last 50 years. Absolute legend. Then i get to stumble home to a pre-midnight kick-off in a big game for once! As a result, I'm feeling good about this one. 

3-1 (Suarez, Coutinho, Carzorla, Sagna (OG))

• Upvote 1