You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BR: My remaining transfer hopes

WhiskeyJar

BR: My remaining transfer hopes - Liverpool FC

Brendan Rodgers revealed how he still hoped to add to his squad in the coming months after Kolo Toure became his fourth signing of the summer.

Rodgers praised the club's recruitment team for their work in completing a quartet of signings before a ball had been kicked in pre-season.

Iago Aspas, Luis Alberto, Simon Mignolet and Toure all reported for the first day of training on Tuesday - and the boss told Liverpoolfc.com that he was hopeful they wouldn't be the only recruits during the transfer window.

He said: "I still think another attacking, creative player, and depending on what goes out of the club - because naturally there might be one or two players who need to go out and play more - then we'll need to fill those areas that have been vacated.

"Certainly another attacking player will really benefit us, and probably another defender. We'll see how it develops over the course of the next few months."

Rodgers admitted the swift action on transfers was a key strategy for the club this summer.

"It's great - it's a big thing to the club because we looked at last summer and there were lots of things that were difficult for us," he said. "That meant that the opening period of the season was difficult.

"From that we've got all our people involved, our recruitment team in - and they got to work as soon as they came in.

"We brought great signings in in January and that's really helped us. Obviously the plan was to get our signings in as soon as we possibly could - and we still hope to make a few more.

"I'm very happy with the four players I've brought in, and they'll add to the group."

Micky and Papas?

One can only hope.

Its chaotic in there. Thought I could make a sub-thread that's just is little less nuts.

The transfer thread is a fucking abortion with mongs like jisms, majesticsuarez and the other loonies all over it.

Anyway, Papa and Mkhitaryan. Yes please.

Sounds about right from Brendan, we're all but set now, we just need to get them all together and keep them fit.

Then he never mentioned any of the kids either, and 12 months from now they aint kids anymore, they're young men and some could be great players.

Seems to bang the lid on a defensive mids coming in.

Still not entirely sure why people think we need one.

If you look at the way BR has us set up to play, our players get behind the ball and press in groups.

When we move out from the back, the 2 CB's split and go wide, whilst one of the deeper midfielders drops in between them, the fullbacks push up to halfway (to start with), so straight away there are 3 "out" balls, and we move up the pitch progressively, for the most part.

When we counter, we aren't getting everyone forwards because again, we move forwards in stages, pressing the opposition back.

This system needs quick CB's rather than a DM, because of the higher line, so a speedy CB is the priority for me rather than another DM.

If you look at the way BR has us set up to play, our players get behind the ball and press in groups.

When we move out from the back, the 2 CB's split and go wide, whilst one of the deeper midfielders drops in between them, the fullbacks push up to halfway (to start with), so straight away there are 3 "out" balls, and we move up the pitch progressively, for the most part.

When we counter, we aren't getting everyone forwards because again, we move forwards in stages, pressing the opposition back.

This system needs quick CB's rather than a DM, because of the higher line, so a speedy CB is the priority for me rather than another DM.

Spot on.

Alderweireld and Mkhitaryan would satisfy me, but then there's still the Suarez thing to deal with.

Yes the Suarez thing, the albatross on our neck, indeed is going to be the downside of what has been a pleasantly surprising transfer season. Preseason to start soon, when is he supposed to report?

No way do we not need another defensive midfielder. The lack of cover for Lucas has already played a big part in ruining two seasons. I'm really just left shaking my head in disbelief that we'll have two good goalkeepers instead of cover for Lucas.

We've not even seen Lucas play consistently well since the start of Kenny's fatal last season. So you could argue on an upgrade. I know everyone wants him to get fit and back to his best but we shouldn't be pinning all our hopes on him doing so.

On the remainder of the window. If we got two really good players in those positions I'd be over the moon. Just that lingering fear about Lucas would be the only nagging doubt that'd stop us making a good shot at a top four spot this season imo.

Here's hoping we hit the ground running and the Lucas of old is an ever present.

I understand the theory, but having watched opposition players strolling towards our central defenders with our midget, non-tackling midfielders bouncing off them ( or nowhere to be seen ) several times last season, I don't think it works in practice.

I understand the theory, but having watched opposition players strolling towards our central defenders with our midget, non-tackling midfielders bouncing off them ( or nowhere to be seen ) several times last season, I don't think it works in practice.

I didn't think it was as bad last season?

Under kenny it was horrendous!

But we do need another midfielder if shelvey has gone and as competition for Lucas. I hope Rodgers isnt putting all his eggs in the Allen basket, that is a risk.

No way do we not need another defensive midfielder. The lack of cover for Lucas has already played a big part in ruining two seasons. I'm really just left shaking my head in disbelief that we'll have two good goalkeepers instead of cover for Lucas.

We've not even seen Lucas play consistently well since the start of Kenny's fatal last season. So you could argue on an upgrade. I know everyone wants him to get fit and back to his best but we shouldn't be pinning all our hopes on him doing so.

On the remainder of the window. If we got two really good players in those positions I'd be over the moon. Just that lingering fear about Lucas would be the only nagging doubt that'd stop us making a good shot at a top four spot this season imo.

Here's hoping we hit the ground running and the Lucas of old is an ever present.

Spot on.

It's amazng how, after a season of watching Rodgers set ups, and watching the red sea being parted by half the league, that posters on here think we don't need bolstering in CM.

A-mazing.

Spot on.

It's amazng how, after a season of watching Rodgers set ups, and watching the red sea being parted by half the league, that posters on here think we don't need bolstering in CM.

A-mazing.

Examples of matches, last season, where this happened please?

Spot on.

A-mazing.

It's amazing that people on here think we need to revamp the midfield. A-amazing. Which games were they watching?

Its amazing people don't think our midfield needs revamping. This is ace lets do this all day.

Last time we had a solid midfield we were in the champions league regularly. Since Lucas has been the saviour the man who when he's out our whole season apparently falls apart and were doooooomed we've been fairly mediocre. We need better midfielders, we should always look to improve, defence midfield and attack all need improving the aim should be to improve them every year. Our midfield is stagnant.

Its amazing people don't think our midfield needs revamping. This is ace lets do this all day.

Last time we had a solid midfield we were in the champions league regularly. Since Lucas has been the saviour the man who when he's out our whole season apparently falls apart and were doooooomed we've been fairly mediocre. We need better midfielders, we should always look to improve, defence midfield and attack all need improving the aim should be to improve them every year. Our midfield is stagnant.

Are you saying Lucas isn't good enough and you want him replaced? If so it's futile, because he recently signed a new long term contract and Rodgers seems to have full faith in him. Allen is obviously not going to be sold. With Hendo it's looking likely he'll stay, too. Which leaves Gerrard, whom I doubt you want sold.

So, which players are stagnant and who would you replace them with who's realistically available? And why would you want to do this ahead of other areas of the team?