You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Open Golf

VladimirIlyich

I'm not talking about the level of depth, just the number of majors won and I've not dismissed his chances VV, I just think he's a hell of a long way to go and doubt he'll get there.

Rory is a great talent but you had posters on here talking as though there were 3 majors left in the season so he'd pick up another two.

I'm not sure people realise how difficult it is to win a major and if he never wins another he'll have had a great career.

I'm not talking about the level of depth' date=' just the number of majors won and I've not dismissed his chances VV, I just think he's a hell of a long way to go and doubt he'll get there.

Rory is a great talent but you had posters on here talking as though there were 3 majors left in the season so he'd pick up another two.

I'm not sure people realise how difficult it is to win a major and if he never wins another he'll have had a great career.[/quote']

That's all fair enough mate, I agree it's by no means certain he'll beat Faldo, but I think he is a bigger talent than Faldo was at the same age.

I loved Faldo the player when I was younger, I've only realised he's a bit of a knob as I've learnt more about him. I think he and Mark James are jointly the worst Ryder Cup captains Europe have had and that was partly down to his ego and poor personality.

I agree that two majors already would represent a great career, especially when you look at some of the greats who've never won one. I think there are more there for him, I think as he gets older Rory will start to prioritise his game over his bird and will go on to have more success.

That's all fair enough mate, I agree it's by no means certain he'll beat Faldo, but I think he is a bigger talent than Faldo was at the same age.

I loved Faldo the player when I was younger, I've only realised he's a bit of a knob as I've learnt more about him. I think he and Mark James are jointly the worst Ryder Cup captains Europe have had and that was partly down to his ego and poor personality.

I agree that two majors already would represent a great career, especially when you look at some of the greats who've never won one. I think there are more there for him, I think as he gets older Rory will start to prioritise his game over his bird and will go on to have more success.

He's a better talent than Faldo was at that age, without doubt.

Whether he'll realise that talent is a different matter. I love Faldo (not the Ryder Cup Captain prick version), his will to win was incredible. He's put three fucked up marriages down to golf.

Rory is a nice lad, I've no problems with the Irish or Olympic debate, I just think he's a hell of a way to reach Faldo and question if he has the mental dedication to get there. Because he certainly has the natural ability.

Can't agree with this. The lad is only 24 and has won 2 majors. He is way ahead of Faldo and Harrington at this stage in his career. This is also a tough era to be playing in and it will only get harder. The depth of talent and therefore ability of more players winning majors is getting deeper all the time.

Don't get me wrong, Faldo was a 1st class player without exception but McIlroy can go on to greater things.

I agree with all of that but the way some people go on, you'd think McIilroy was there already. He's got a long way to go yet and as you said, this is a tough era and its only going to ger tougher. At the moment though I just find him to be a bit of a fair weather player.

I agree with all of that but the way some people go on' date=' you'd think McIilroy was there already. He's got a long way to go yet and as you said, this is a tough era and its only going to ger tougher. At the moment though I just find him to be a bit of a fair weather player.[/quote']

He may be burned out. His endorsements have him flying all over the place, he's got that tennis player girl he's got to service and the hype may have gotten to him.

Too much too young.

It's great to see the course being a challenge and players not finishing on 20 under.

Donald bottled it big time.

Not so sure I'd say bottled it Col. Think its just down to ,as you said, the challenges the course is giving them all.

Day just saved his arse with the chip in after going in the water.