You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

This decline set in long before Moores sold up

We never 'got it' and we still don't 'get it'

I looked at Munich before, massive class ground, run by club legends who put the club 1st and cheap seats for fans and think we were a couple of European Cups ahead of them at one point.

We just never capitalised and we never will and unless we get bought by someone with bottomless pockets we wont get back to the top

Personally I agree with you in the sense that I think the most likely way we're going to break back into the top 4 anytime soon is with a fairly large injection of cash into the transfer fund. That's just being realistic.

But it's not impossible the approach we're taking will get us back to the elite table.

It's just going to be very very difficult. And you can see with this whole Suarez thing. He's only a symptom of the problem. Right now we don't look like we can compete with the best in the league. Next season might change that but our signings so far haven't exactly made us incredibly stronger. They've strengthen the squad but probably not the first 11 which is where we need to be targetting.

Put up or shut up! Rodgers' Suarez warning for Gunners

25 Jul 2013 00:01

LFC manager warns Arsenal to bid true value or stop unsettling Reds' star man

Brendan Rodgers has warned Arsenal to 'put up or shut up' in their pursuit of Liverpool FC striker Luis Suarez .

The Reds boss insists the Gunners must significantly increase their bid of £40million plus £1 to have any hope of landing the Uruguayan.

Rodgers, who recently said he ranks Suarez in the same class as Edinson Cavani who joined Paris St-Germain from Napoli for £55million, dismissed suggestions that the Londoners' latest offer had triggered a release clause in the player's contract

Suarez, who made his first Liverpool appearance for three months in yesterday's 2-0 win over Melbourne Victory, was scheduled to fly with the squad from Australia to Thailand today for the final leg of the tour.

“For me, it is work as normal,” Rodgers said.

“There is no change for me or for Luis. He is a paid player at Liverpool Football Club so he just needs to get on with getting himself fit.

“That’s how it is. Until somebody tells me something different that is what all my concentration will be on.

“If Arsenal want the player then they have to produce the value for the player.

“There was an offer a few weeks ago of £35million and two weeks later it is now £40million and £1. I don’t think it is anywhere near the value of what he is worth.

“It is two-fold really. A player may want to go, but then somebody has to pay the value or worth of that player.”

Arsenal, whose current record transfer fee is the £15million they spent on Andrey Arshavin in 2009, expect Suarez to try to force the issue by telling Liverpool he wants to join the Gunners.

However, the Reds have no intention of granting him that wish unless there is a suitably attractive offer on the table.

Suarez’s agent Pere Guardiola believed a bid of more than £40million would allow his client to move on but Liverpool have always insisted that is not the case.

Asked if the Reds simply had to inform Suarez of offers in excess of that figure, Rodgers said: “Absolutely. That's it. There is nothing more than that.”

Rodgers discussed Arsenal's new bid with Suarez prior to yesterday's game in front of a crowd of more than 95,000.

The manager is confident last season's top scorer will continue to apply himself for Liverpool while this summer-long saga continues.

“It may be a distraction, but players are paid enough money now to produce for their clubs and he just has to keep his professionalism, which he has done,” Rodgers said.

“He was okay to go on to the pitch and his concentration was fine.

“I am not worried about him (in that sense), but there will be no games played at Liverpool. He is part of the group and he knows the standard you have to meet at this club, on and off the field.

“After a long flight and then double training sessions Monday and Tuesday and then the game he's just a wee bit weary.”

Liverpool aren't prepared to allow the uncertainty surrounding Suarez to drag on into August, potentially damaging the start of their Premier League campaign.

Asked if there would be a cut-off point for the Reds to even consider offers, Rodgers said: “Yes and that period will come soon.”

Philippe Coutinho and Kolo Toure both missed yesterday's game due to minor injuries but could return in Sunday's match against Thailand in Bangkok.

Liverpool FC manager Brendan Rodgers in Luis Suarez transfer warning to Arsenal - Liverpool Echo

Can't believe he's agitating for a move to fucking Arsenal. Real Madrid fair enough, maybe even Chelsea or City, but Arsenal?! The team that's won fuck all in 8 years and is struggling to hang on to 4th place every season? If he's kicking up a fuss trying to force a move to Arsenal then he really is a massive twat.

So basically we are willing to sell to Arsenal if they pay 50m. We'll not be qualifying for CL anytime soon if he goes there.

So building a team around a player that is desperate to get out of here at the nearest possible opportunity is the answer, then?

Very disappointing to hear that from Rodgers. It would be a complete clusterfuck to sell him to Arsenal, even for £55M.

Sit Luis down and just tell him straight that there is no way in hell he's going there. Selling him to Arsenal is a worst case scenario for us and just can't be allowed to happen. I think deep down Luis can see why.

Arsenal and Spurs are our biggest rivals for that last CL spot and it would be insane for us to sell our best player to one of them.

I just can't be allowed to happen.

On a flip side of things FSG are a brilliant model for the club.

They are making a good fee out of a player who doesn't want to be here. Not ideal selling to a rival, that is no doubt.

FSG have clearly learnt from mistakes in their infancy, when selling at the last minute. Rodgers has publicly said that we would sell for 55mil? Where? Show me that quote?

My understanding is that he said LFC do not want to sell, but if Cavani is worth 55 then so Suarez would be.

Great if we do get 55mill for a player that doesn't want to be here! 30mill profit on a world class player who has serious attitude (not attitude in sense of his all for the shirt) and behavour issues.

We now have a group of scouts and a sensible buying team who I believe can bring the best players to a team that plays great football.

Rodgers has implemented a good philosphy at the club and the players have bought into this. We've seen the improvements.

People need to think more, before pushing a few buttons on a key pad. With or without Suarez in the team next year we will be alright,

Gone are the days of splashing around stupids amount on square players to fit round holes.

Let's get behind the team full as a collective group of fans for the first time in years and let's see what can happen.

Not happy about losing Luis, especially to Arsenal, but if we get 50m we should get rid. He's a great player, but everyone is replaceable, and he's a bit of an idiot really. I know my blood-pressure could use a break from his constant controversies and stupid antics. I would've never expected that someone would pay that much for him after the biting - incident. Spent wisely, 50m can strengthen us significantly.

Not sure how much of a strengthening this would be for Arsenal. As good as he is, such a massive transfer is a major departure from their provious policy. How will that influence the rest of the team? Smells of desparation to me, and they will have no more excuses when they once again are left without trophies at the end of the season.

Can't believe he's agitating for a move to fucking Arsenal. Real Madrid fair enough, maybe even Chelsea or City, but Arsenal?! The team that's won fuck all in 8 years and is struggling to hang on to 4th place every season? If he's kicking up a fuss trying to force a move to Arsenal then he really is a massive twat.

It's a big "if".

They've made a (rubbish) bid. He's allowed to speak to them. He's reportedly said he wants to exercise that right.

It's not great, but it's hardly him "kicking up a fuss trying to force a move to Arsenal" either.

They are making a good fee out of a player who doesn't want to be here. Not ideal selling to a rival, that is no doubt.

FSG have clearly learnt from mistakes in their infancy, when selling at the last minute. Rodgers has publicly said that we would sell for 55mil? Where? Show me that quote?

My understanding is that he said LFC do not want to sell, but if Cavani is worth 55 then so Suarez would be.

Great if we do get 55mill for a player that doesn't want to be here! 30mill profit on a world class player who has serious attitude (not attitude in sense of his all for the shirt) and behavour issues.

We now have a group of scouts and a sensible buying team who I believe can bring the best players to a team that plays great football.

Rodgers has implemented a good philosphy at the club and the players have bought into this. We've seen the improvements.

People need to think more, before pushing a few buttons on a key pad. With or without Suarez in the team next year we will be alright,

Gone are the days of splashing around stupids amount on square players to fit round holes.

Let's get behind the team full as a collective group of fans for the first time in years and let's see what can happen.

The other key point about FSG learning is that quote from Rodgers - that there is a cut-off point after which Liverpool will not sell him (and it's coming soon).

The club are going to look really fucking stupid if this clause is legit and Arsenal have got us by the bollocks. Really really fucking stupid.

And with regards to a few posts further up, I'm repeating myself but I really can't see how in the cold light of day people are seeing this potential deal as a positive. Our one stand out world class talent agitating to leave the club for a not so distant rival.

We've said this before, Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, "if they want to go sell th, just think what we could do with all that money". Look what we did with all that money, it's precisely the reason we are in this position now.

All the Champ Man heads saying how many 25 million players we can sign. Ye great , look at that 25mil player we were after the other week who's now sat in Dortmund. Get in the real world, look at our position and our current standing, the players who can improve us are being courted by Champions League clubs. It's great having 50million in your pocket when there's no fucker worth his salt wanting to come here isn't it. Players come to us to play with Luis Suarez, not Jordan Henderson or Fabio Borini.

There are no positives in Liverpool selling one of the greatest most naturally talented footballers to ever play for the club.

The club are going to look really fucking stupid if this clause is legit and Arsenal have got us by the bollocks. Really really fucking stupid.

And with regards to a few posts further up, I'm repeating myself but I really can't see how in the cold light of day people are seeing this potential deal as a positive. Our one stand out world class talent agitating to leave the club for a not so distant rival.

We've said this before, Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, "if they want to go sell th, just think what we could do with all that money". Look what we did with all that money, it's precisely the reason we are in this position now.

All the Champ Man heads saying how many 25 million players we can sign. Ye great , look at that 25mil player we were after the other week who's now sat in Dortmund. Get in the real world, look at our position and our current standing, the players who can improve us are being courted by Champions League clubs. It's great having 50million in your pocket when there's no fucker worth his salt wanting to come here isn't it. Players come to us to play with Luis Suarez, not Jordan Henderson or Fabio Borini.

There are no positives in Liverpool selling one of the greatest most naturally talented footballers to ever play for the club.

Sure, I'd rather he stayed, but I don't see selling him as the world-ending disaster that it's made out to be. Nobody is bigger than the club, and everyone is replaceable. We're not gonna fall into the abyss just because one player wants to leave.

Agree with this.

There is no positive in selling Suarez to Arsenal.

Don't agree with this.

We sell him on our terms when it is right for us.

Agree with this.

Sure, I'd rather he stayed, but I don't see selling him as the world-ending disaster that it's made out to be. Nobody is bigger than the club, and everyone is replaceable. We're not gonna fall into the abyss just because one player wants to leave.

He also missed games, and if I remember correctly we played better overall football without him.

Not doubting his ability or world class talent, but there is life without Suarez.

Just some of our fans use him as a reason to stick it into FSG.

Drama Queens.

He will make a massive contribution to us getting back into the champions league next year if he's here, we won't get back there without him.

In not so sure. Who's to say he won't miss another quarter of a season next year?

No doubting his talent but there's always a "but" after any plaudits he receives.

Sell him and if we can, buy Michu.

The funny thing is, Arsenal fans are now saying that unless they get Suarez, the best they can hope for is 4th place this season. If we sell to them, we pretty much guarantee it. We must not sell to them, if we don't have to, don't. Keep raising the price by 5 million to flush them out. Call it the domestic tax.

If, as seems most likely, Real do come in for him, then he can go. 55 million won't necessarily make us stronger, but it won't strengthen our rivals either.

This could quite conceivably end up in court which raises two questions for me:

a) Why is Suarez forcing this through when he'll be aware the current bid is below his market value? and;

b) Why is the clause so ambiguous in the first place and who the fuck inserted it?

All very frustrating.

This is all well and good but the only way the club is going to improve and keep players like this is if we get in the champions league. The only way we are going to get in the champions league is if we knock Arsenal out of the top 4 as the other 3 are going nowhere, Selling them Suarez doesn't just make us weaker it makes them a lot stronger. If he goes there it pretty much seals the top 4 before a ball has been kicked.

Yes he is replaceable but that's not the whole story. We would genuinely be better selling him to Real Madrid for 20m than Arsenal for 55m.

Selling to Arsenal would be plain daft tbh. Step one in qualifying for champions league, sell your only world class player to the one weak team in the top four. Step two, oh oh.

Well I guess if we really are loving the Dortmund and Arsenal models all that much, we should get used to selling great players for big fees, even to rivals. Whilst bringing in cheaper player/s as replacements.

I think Luis and his agent are just trying to force Madrid's hand tbh. Madrid probably thought they could just wait until the last day of the window and get him on the cheap.

For the past 12-18 months, Luis Suarez has to my mind been one of the top 5 players in the world. So, unless we are replacing him with somebody in the top 3, then, if sold, and for however much for, we will be replacing him with a player that is not as good as he is. There can't be much doubt about that.

The money can, however, be used to strengthen the team. Upgrading your weaker players has I think been shown to have a bigger impact on team performance than more marginal improvements at the top end. If the money from Suarez can be used to increase quality at the lower end, then the loss of quality in the like for like comparison between Suarez and any direct replacement should not matter. We would still be a stronger team.

The problem for the club is the relatively small window available to upgrade on weaker players and the difficulty of attracting 2-3 players of that caliber to the club when we have no CL football to offer. This, for me, is the main issue. If we could guarantee being able to use the money to get 2-3 signings to substantially upgrade on the weaker areas of the team, then I think that taking 50m+ for Suarez would be worth doing.

If there is any doubt that we can do this – and there surely must be - then we are better off holding on to him for another season and then hoping that we are in a position to attract those kinds of players next summer as a result of CL qualification.

I’m guessing that this is the kind of ‘deal’ that we may be trying to cut with Suarez right now: e.g. Luis, you owe this club and its supporters a shot at CL football and, if we don’t get it, you can leave next summer and we won't be quite so worried about where you go and how much we get for you, within reason.

The player, however, will doubtless be wondering: what if he gets injured, or gets himself another ban, or just has a lousy season? All of which are possible, although the first two more likely than the latter. And these doubts must surely affect all players. What if nobody wants me in 12 months time?

He may then lose any chance he has of playing CL football in his prime (from his perspective). If he could guarantee that a host of high achieving CL clubs would be swarming around him this time next year, then the ‘1 more season’ proposal would likely have greater appeal. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees like this in football. The offers exist only in the here and now. This is his dilemma and I think it is why he wants to be allowed to at least speak with CL clubs that show an interest in him - it’s a matter of keeping his options open whilst he weighs all of this up. Far from straightforward

It’s a shame he wasn’t a little more up front about his desire for CL football over the last few months, rather than the BS excuses about being hassled when he goes shopping etc, but alas, to err is human etc.