You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will Liverpool ever win the league again.

TheHitman

Well we need to sign somebody to play with Agger.

Shawcross is a much better player than Kolo Toure.

If Toure comes in as a first choice CB, I will happily agree your 'accepting mediocrity' sentiment. But I think Toure will be coming in as fourth choice. Well, I fucking hope so.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we need to sign somebody to play with Agger.

Shawcross is a much better player than Kolo Toure.

Are you at all concerned about the lack of winning experience in our squad? I am and I think the manager is. That explains the Kolo Toure signing for you. That and he won't cost us 15m.

Are you at all concerned about the lack of winning experience in our squad? I am and I think the manager is. That explains the Kolo Toure signing for you. That and he won't cost us 15m.

Do you really think that Kolo Toure is coming here to win things?

We should probably sign Boswinga and Ji sung Park then on this basis?

Do you really think that Kolo Toure is coming here to win things?

We should probably sign Boswinga and Ji sung Park then on this basis?

I don't care why he's coming here.

He's a decent player with a lot of experience in a position where we're desperately short. He's not gonna be on huge wages and we don't have to pay a transfer fee. What's the issue? It's not as if we're pinning all our hopes on him, he's not the only player we're going to sign.

Guest ShoePiss

Toure is on £120k/wk, 'big wages' is relative anyway. If he's to be 4th choice CB what is big wages then?

Personally I think paying him £60-£70k/wk is too much for a 4th choice back up

Guest ShoePiss
Will he be 4th choice? The way it looks we only have Agger ahead of him at the moment (I can only assume Skrtel is on his way considering he's hardly played since January).

Dunno but that is what people have been saying, I think to justify the possible signing.

If our first summer signing is Kolo Toure, then I think it's pretty clear that it's actually our owners and Manager that are accepting mediocrity.

In the last 12 months we have lowered our wage bill and increased our our sponsorship deals and revenues significantly. We are also set to benefit from the new global tv rights deal.

Despite all this we are continuing to make the same old mistakes over and over again. We are not in Europe next season, so we don't need a huge squad of players. Ideally we would keep the majority of the current squad probably selling Carroll and Skrtel, and obviously Carragher retiring. This should bring in around £25 million and clear £250,000 off the wage bill.

We should then bring in, three or four really good player that could go straight in to our first team. I would go for Ryan Shawcross for around £15 million, Christian Eriksen £15 million Victor Wanyama £12 million and possibly Kyriakos Papadopoulos for around £12 million, although personally I don't know much about him.

This would improve our team, and all players are 25 and under which would delight FSG.

You sick bastard.

Negged in the fucking eye

Dunno but that is what people have been saying' date=' I think to justify the possible signing.[/quote']

Strange one if that's the case. And i can hardly see Toure coming here on low wages myself. And surely there must be better options out there?

How do you fella's know this?

Where is your crystal ball as to what will happen under Rodgers and FSG?

How do you know what the plans are for the summer?

Of course we will win the league again, saying that we won't is being downright fucking slit your wrists mental.

And accepting mediocrity.

I'm certainly not accepting mediocrity, I simply dont think Rodgers have it in him to win the league, I've come to the conclusion after having witnessed him and us under him for a full season.

The flaws are to big and even if he has moved away from the unbelievable naive set up and approach from the start of the season I dont think he has it in him to be pragmatic enough to understand he had got it wrong in the first place and make the changes needed to win this league.

This is a question best asked at the end of next season. We were lucky Arsenal beat out Spurs for the last CL - the added revenue would have put them past us for the next 5 years.

As it stands, we're out of Europe next season and have the means to invest enough to make a real run for the CL. I think any hope of winning the league depends on a run of CL appearances - both for revenue and for attracting quality players. But any player we go after must have a winning mentality, even if he comes from a club that hasn't won much of anything.

We need a Souness or a Keane, and a manager ruthless enough to sacrifice sentimentality for winning something. Jury's still out on Rodgers.

Some interesting posts on here, but some depressing ones.

In a way I don`t care if we win it again I just want us to be properly run, be cleverer than we have beenand see where that gets us.

If we could have a few more Coutinho`s and fewer Adam`s or Carroll`s than who knows what we can do. I really despair when people just go on about City or Chelsea and throw their hands in the air. Depite their wealth, Chelsea have won fewer leagues than Utd since 2003, City have one in three years.

We could simply go back to what we used to be good at: spot a player, do our business the right way and play the right way.

See what happened to Dortmund: from Champions League in 1997 to almost bust in 2005 to CL finalist in 2013 (after two titles and a German Cup).

Football changes,you just need to be prepared for it and take advantage.

I really despair when people just go on about City or Chelsea and throw their hands in the air. Depite their wealth, Chelsea have won fewer leagues than Utd since 2003, City have one in three years.

What's your point? They have all finished comfortably above us. The major reason why Man U have been so successful is their previous manager.

Do you honestly expect us to compete with Chelsea and Man City next season?

Some interesting posts on here, but some depressing ones.

In a way I don`t care if we win it again I just want us to be properly run, be cleverer than we have beenand see where that gets us.

If we could have a few more Coutinho`s and fewer Adam`s or Carroll`s than who knows what we can do. I really despair when people just go on about City or Chelsea and throw their hands in the air. Depite their wealth, Chelsea have won fewer leagues than Utd since 2003, City have one in three years.

We could simply go back to what we used to be good at: spot a player, do our business the right way and play the right way.

See what happened to Dortmund: from Champions League in 1997 to almost bust in 2005 to CL finalist in 2013 (after two titles and a German Cup).

Football changes,you just need to be prepared for it and take advantage.

The German league is totally different to the prem. It's easier to be upwardly moblile in their league.

Ours is dominated by clubs richer than us. Sorry to break it to you but man city and chelsea are here to stay and will probably finish above us next season.

Ok fine, forget Ryan Shawcross then.

The reason I suggested him was because it's very difficult to identify a realistic target to slot straight into first team Premiership football. Everybody has been quick to slate him, yet nobody has suggested an alternative!

Everybody seems to be missing the point though, seeing as how we don't have the funds to sign the very best players, we should be targeting players that have already played at a high level that have a desire to progress and potential to get better.

Toure is on £120k/wk, 'big wages' is relative anyway. If he's to be 4th choice CB what is big wages then?

Personally I think paying him £60-£70k/wk is too much for a 4th choice back up

That would put him on a par with Agger and Johnson.

We need four centre backs that are all capable of being first choice, if we are ever going to move forward. United have Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Smalling, and Jones, City have Kompany, Lescott,Nastasic and Richards Chelsea have Luiz Cahil, Terry and Ivanovic.

In Wisdom and Kelly we have two players that have been centre backs at youth and reserve level. I don't think either are quite ready at first team level yet, although I'd be tempted to try Kelly there in the league cup and some home league games.

Tough question and unfortunately one inextricably linked with finances these days.

Financial Fair Play is becoming more and more of a crock of shit. We already knew it was but even more so now. How the fuck can teams in Eastern Europe and now Monaco even think that they can legitimately increase their turnovers enough to balance out this spending. None of them clearly see FFP as a credible enough threat to even bother trying, they'll just keep on spending the money.

We're in a lose lose situation anyway it seems, even if FFP were to come into force it would just push the financially dominant teams ahead of us even more due to the ludicrous mismanagement and losses we've been making over the last 10+ years. The only clubs that I can see that FFP will actually be genuinely advantageous for in Europe right now are Real Madrid, United, Barca and Arsenal as they're the only ones currently making enough 'natural' (i.e. not inflated sponsorship deals ala PSG and City) cash to help them.

So basically I think it will be very difficult (not impossible, look at what Dortmund have done) without the financial aspects of the Premier League changing significantly.

Ok fine, forget Ryan Shawcross then.

The reason I suggested him was because it's very difficult to identify a realistic target to slot straight into first team Premiership football. Everybody has been quick to slate him, yet nobody has suggested an alternative!

Everybody seems to be missing the point though, seeing as how we don't have the funds to sign the very best players, we should be targeting players that have already played at a high level that have a desire to progress and potential to get better.

It is a difficult job to identify players but we don't have to, we pay people to do that and get it right.

You mention carrying on making the same old mistakes but then you yourself make the same old mistake by suggesting an average English player for a high fee, you also seem to make the same old mistake of just looking at PL players for a new centre back, plenty of foreign centre backs have came in and slotted in straight away with little or no fuss, hopefully our scouts have found one or two.

The Toure signing is quite sly in a way and the right sort of idea as long as we dont give him some stupid long contract on stupid money and as long as he isn't the height of our ambitions which im pretty sure he isn't, the only worry is if hes still any good but i presume our ex City scouts still think he has it so you have to presume he is still decent.

Thankfully the club does seem to of learn't its lessons now in regard to dishing out big money long contracts, arn't they doing contracts more weighted to bonus related payments nowadays? i can't see them offering a big flat basic salary to Toure, hopefully anyway.

If we get Toure and the young Greek along with another like that IIori or whoever i'd be pretty happy with that to go along with Agger, nice mixture of experience and talented youth.

It is a difficult job to identify players but we don't have to, we pay people to do that and get it right.

You mention carrying on making the same old mistakes but then you yourself make the same old mistake by suggesting an average English player for a high fee, you also seem to make the same old mistake of just looking at PL players for a new centre back, plenty of foreign centre backs have came in and slotted in straight away with little or no fuss, hopefully our scouts have found one or two.

Thats a fair point.

I don't watch anywhere near enough European football to identify targets from certain leagues or clubs.

I've always followed the career of Shawcross as I know some lads from Flint that used to play with him, plus I think he's a tough character that would add a bit of steel to our backline and he may well decide to quit Stoke now that Pulis has gone.

The Toure signing is quite sly in a way and the right sort of idea as long as we dont give him some stupid long contract on stupid money and as long as he isn't the height of our ambitions which im pretty sure he isn't, the only worry is if hes still any good but i presume our ex City scouts still think he has it so you have to presume he is still decent.

Thankfully the club does seem to of learn't its lessons now in regard to dishing out big money long contracts, arn't they doing contracts more weighted to bonus related payments nowadays? i can't see them offering a big flat basic salary to Toure, hopefully anyway.

If we get Toure and the young Greek along with another like that IIori or whoever i'd be pretty happy with that to go along with Agger, nice mixture of experience and talented youth.

My main concern with this is that both Agger and 'the young Greek' have both got a history of injury problems, which could easily lead to Toure and Ilori having to play a spell of games together.