You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will Liverpool ever win the league again.

TheHitman

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we will ever win it again because when it comes to football I'm a pessimist I guess when united and ferguson have dominated almost your entire life's worth of football it gets that bleak. FSG haven't the finances or the will to have us competing. Football is largely shit jam packed full of utter cunts greedy and vulgar disloyal just genuine bastards who i wish has one connected face so i could bitch slap it. the only reason I still bother is because LFC has been a huge part of my life disowning it would be like disowning a sibling.

There is two ways of winning the league. There is the Man City and Chelsea model, and that is throw a heap of money and fast-track your way to success. However the problem is that it's not sustainable. The reason why it's not sustainable is complacency.

The other way is to build a ruthless trophy winning machine, mixing youth and experience. When Alan Hansen said ''You win nothing with kids'' he was right. There has to be a balance between youth and experience. Can Liverpool win it by doing the above? Why not?

Brendan has come out and said, his new signings will all be winners. Is he edging towards experience? I think so. With experience comes character, with character comes consistency.

Our problem is that we've got too many ''good honest players'' and not enough winners. We've got two winners in Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez, but that's pretty much it. We need more than that.

People need to stop with the examples from 20/30/40 years ago, those examples are not in anyway relevant when comparing them to modern day football.

Now tell me how it's changed in that respect. Consistency has always been the way teams win titles. The more consistent you are, the more successful you are.

What stops you from winning? Complacency. Losing your edge.

I don't know how people can give a definitive 'no'. It's a big fuck off question: 'Will Liverpool ever win the league again?' I can only assume the people who voted 'no' think every title from here on in until the sun dies will be won by either City, United or Chelsea.

I agree it's unlikely in the foreseeable future, but as RobbieOR said on the first page, you never know what's around the corner in football.

There is two ways of winning the league. There is the Man City and Chelsea model, and that is throw a heap of money and fast-track your way to success. However the problem is that it's not sustainable. The reason why it's not sustainable is complacency.

I think that's false.

It goes without saying that if several teams spend insane amounts of money to win the title, only one team will actually win it. So even with unlimited funds, we're nowhere near guaranteed winning the league.

With the business model FSG employs, it's imo impossible for us to win the league. Even though Man U are considerably weakened by Ferguson's exit, I doubt Moyes will fuck them up to the point where we will finish above them next season.

My prediction as it stands before any transfer activity: Not only will we (obviously!) not win the title next year, it will be no top four finish either.

I don't think it's a foregone that either Manchester United, City or Chelsea will dominate. There is two problems with that assumption. City and Chelsea due to their enormous egos are always liable to get complacent.

As for Manchester United, they've appointed a manager that doesn't know what a trophy looks like. 11 years at Everton, and he won nothing. When Moyes was Preston manager, he finished 4th in a two horse race.

There is serious bullshit going around that Moyes ''is a young and up and coming manager''. I've never heard as much nonsense. David Moyes is 50. The only way he's young is if you compare him to 71 year old Slur Alcie. Rafa Benitez had won two La Ligas and the Champions league by the time he was 50.

Also don't give me this stuff that Moyes had no money. He had a decent amount but prefered to spend it on rubbish Rangers players and Man United rejects. There is also Yakabu who was so bad, he made Danny Wellbeck look like a goal machine.

Manchester United dominate the league? Not with David ''Out of Europe twice in a month'' Moyes they won't.

I think that's false.

It goes without saying that if several teams spend insane amounts of money to win the title, only one team will actually win it. So even with unlimited funds, we're nowhere near guaranteed winning the league.

With the business model FSG employs, it's imo impossible for us to win the league. Even though Man U are considerably weakened by Ferguson's exit, I doubt Moyes will fuck them up to the point where we will finish above them next season.

My prediction as it stands before any transfer activity: Not only will we (obviously!) not win the title next year, it will be no top four finish either.

I disagree with this 100%. Compare the squads of Manchester United and City. If you do so man for man, city would have won the league due to having the better squad overall.

There was on occasion when City were dumping better players than the ones United were offering new contracts to. It's not how much you spend, it's how well you spend it.

Let's use two examples. Brendan Rodgers paid £8.5 million on a gem of player in Philippe Coutinho. Yes it was 50/50, as it could have been a risk, but that risk paid off. Ferguson spent £15 million on the ''flavour of the month'' Wilfried Zaha. £15 million on a championship player who is a poor man's Raheem Sterling is buffoonery.

If Brendan goes a bit ''left field'' with his signings'' and stays away from ''flavour of the months'', then I think he'll do well.

I disagree with this 100%. Compare the squads of Manchester United and City. If you do so man for man, city would have won the league due to having the better squad overall.

There was on occasion when City were dumping better players than the ones United were offering new contracts to. It's not how much you spend, it's how well you spend it.

Let's use two examples. Brendan Rodgers paid £8.5 million on a gem of player in Philippe Coutinho. Yes it was 50/50, as it could have been a risk, but that risk paid off. Ferguson spent £15 million on the ''flavour of the month'' Wilfried Zaha. £15 million on a championship player who is a poor man's Raheem Sterling is buffoonery.

If Brendan goes a bit ''left field'' with his signings'' and stays away from ''flavour of the months'', then I think he'll do well.

I'd swap Sterling for Zaha tomorrow. Sterling has only pace and isn't a clever player. He's been found out already. From the limited viewing of Zaha, he's a very better prospect with speed and a scoring instinct that RS hasn't IMO.

As for the question; unless FFP is strictly adhered to we will never win the league again. It's no coincidence that the top four places came from the clubs with the highest wage structure and the chances of overtaking all four/five highest spending teams in the same season is nil. We have got as much chance as winning the league as West Brom or the teams closest to our position at the moment who, although running at a vastly lower wage bill, are performing closer to us than we are to the top 4. It's not science, all trophies are 'bought' to some extent and we can't pay unless Mr Oil-Baron turns up.

I agree. I don't see how it's relevant to my post, though.

It's both. Just like the world isn't black or white.

How do you fella's know this?

Where is your crystal ball as to what will happen under Rodgers and FSG?

How do you know what the plans are for the summer?

Of course we will win the league again, saying that we won't is being downright fucking slit your wrists mental.

And accepting mediocrity.

If our first summer signing is Kolo Toure, then I think it's pretty clear that it's actually our owners and Manager that are accepting mediocrity.

In the last 12 months we have lowered our wage bill and increased our our sponsorship deals and revenues significantly. We are also set to benefit from the new global tv rights deal.

Despite all this we are continuing to make the same old mistakes over and over again. We are not in Europe next season, so we don't need a huge squad of players. Ideally we would keep the majority of the current squad probably selling Carroll and Skrtel, and obviously Carragher retiring. This should bring in around £25 million and clear £250,000 off the wage bill.

We should then bring in, three or four really good player that could go straight in to our first team. I would go for Ryan Shawcross for around £15 million, Christian Eriksen £15 million Victor Wanyama £12 million and possibly Kyriakos Papadopoulos for around £12 million, although personally I don't know much about him.

This would improve our team, and all players are 25 and under which would delight FSG.

If our first summer signing is Kolo Toure, then I think it's pretty clear that it's actually our owners and Manager that are accepting mediocrity.

In the last 12 months we have lowered our wage bill and increased our our sponsorship deals and revenues significantly. We are also set to benefit from the new global tv rights deal.

Despite all this we are continuing to make the same old mistakes over and over again. We are not in Europe next season, so we don't need a huge squad of players. Ideally we would keep the majority of the current squad probably selling Carroll and Skrtel, and obviously Carragher retiring. This should bring in around £25 million and clear £250,000 off the wage bill.

We should then bring in, three or four really good player that could go straight in to our first team. I would go for Ryan Shawcross for around £15 million, Christian Eriksen £15 million Victor Wanyama £12 million and possibly Kyriakos Papadopoulos for around £12 million, although personally I don't know much about him.

This would improve our team, and all players are 25 and under which would delight FSG.

You want Ryan fucking Shawcross for £15m and you are having a go at the manager for accepting mediocrity?

Name me a good centre half for £15 million or less that we could realistically sign and put straight into the first team.

I don't have a name for you, MM, but I do know that Shawcross is nowhere near good enough and £15m could be better spent looking abroad (if experience tells us anything). The English tax is just far too high on players like him..