You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Cracking piece on Klopp's Borussia Dortmund side in Guardian today. I'll link the whole thing at the bottom of the post, but I'll just quote this one paragraph:

Mats Hummels, a Bayern Munich reject, cost €4m, Robert Lewandowski €4.5m, Neven Subotic likewise, Shinji Kagawa a measly €350,000. Lukas Piszczek arrived on a free while his compatriot Jakub Blaszczykowski joined for a reported fee of €3m. Nuri Sahin, Marcel Schmelzer, Götze and Kevin Grosskreutz all came through the ranks. Since that first league title win, Ilkay Gündogan has signed from Nürnberg for €4m and Marco Reus from Borussia Mönchengladbach for €17.1m.

I know I've mentioned it on one or two occasions on these boards before and I may be sounding like a broken record, but we really have to get our shit together on the scouting front. In the following paragraph it even alludes to Rodgers talking about following the Dortmund model.

We simply can't go on spending big money on average players. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is just mental. It's why I'm against us signing Ashley Williams. Not because I don't think he's not an okay player, just I don't think he's any better than what we have. I don't even want to contemplate how much we'd shell out for him. As I've mentioned before, when Spurs are signing someone like Vertonghen for less than £10m, it should set alarm bells ringing.

I'm under no illusions as to where we are, but I don't think the Champions League should be seen as unattainable next season. Spurs, a few years back, shown you can get top four after finishing in a similar position to where we're going to this season. The thing is they boxed clever and bought well. It's what we're going to have to do and the margin for error is incredibly slim.

I just pray we can pull out a couple of Sturridge and Coutinho like signings in the summer who can come in and make an immediate difference to the team by either proving to be better than what we have currently playing in the side or capable of providing us with a different dimension. To be fair to Rodgers, it's certainly what the January lads have given us.

Our scouting team really needs to wake up and smell the coffee this summer. It's looking like a massive one.

Anyway, here's a link to the article. Good read:

Dortmund want to play football people will remember, says Jürgen Klopp | Football | guardian.co.uk

Excellent post.

Cracking piece on Klopp's Borussia Dortmund side in Guardian today. I'll link the whole thing at the bottom of the post, but I'll just quote this one paragraph:

Mats Hummels, a Bayern Munich reject, cost €4m, Robert Lewandowski €4.5m, Neven Subotic likewise, Shinji Kagawa a measly €350,000. Lukas Piszczek arrived on a free while his compatriot Jakub Blaszczykowski joined for a reported fee of €3m. Nuri Sahin, Marcel Schmelzer, Götze and Kevin Grosskreutz all came through the ranks. Since that first league title win, Ilkay Gündogan has signed from Nürnberg for €4m and Marco Reus from Borussia Mönchengladbach for €17.1m.

I know I've mentioned it on one or two occasions on these boards before and I may be sounding like a broken record, but we really have to get our shit together on the scouting front. In the following paragraph it even alludes to Rodgers talking about following the Dortmund model.

I think that proves you dont need 100's of millions to get good players

It's as much down to the system and the man management of those players that has made them into stars.

Klopp obviously knows how to get the most out of a young player and has a system that allows them to flourish

So do we in Brendan, and thats why im not worried if we have to sell Suarez, as long as we get the 50 million+ that we should.

Atleast our manager understands its technique/first touch and not brute force and running ability that you need to make it in the modern game.

Klopp obviously knows how to get the most out of a young player and has a system that allows them to flourish

So do we in Brendan, and thats why im not worried if we have to sell Suarez, as long as we get the 50 million+ that we should.

Atleast our manager understands its technique/first touch and not brute force and running ability that you need to make it in the modern game.

AHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BUBUBHUHUHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAH

UUAUAUAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAA

I like Klopp. I don't know if the English translations of his interviews make him sound funny, or he's just a clever, witty German. I think he's brilliant and if he's finding and developing the talent that we see on the pitch, then he'll win things with Dortmund and won't have to leave.

I think that proves you dont need 100's of millions to get good players

It's as much down to the system and the man management of those players that has made them into stars.

Based on what success that has proved this?

I like Klopp. I don't know if the English translations of his interviews make him sound funny, or he's just a clever, witty German. I think he's brilliant and if he's finding and developing the talent that we see on the pitch, then he'll win things with Dortmund and won't have to leave.

It's Michael Zorc that works with the scouts at Dortmund. They scout, assess, and purchase the players to fill the positions that Klopp needs filled. Klopp has input on what he wants in those positions but he handles just about nothing of the scouting/buying. That's not a knock on Klopp. That's praise for Zorc and his team.

Klopp is a trainer, and he's very good at teaching the players.

Based on what success that has proved this?

The fact we have signed two attacking players with good technique, good first touch, awareness and a change of speed. You need to have a natural talent and composure to be a good attacking player.

Kuyt worst first touch i have ever seen

Heskey the same

Cisse poor first touch

Gonzalez shocking composure and touch

Palleta, should have been a centre back

Voronin, way too slow

Jovanovic, wtf

The list goes on with our club, for 13+ years we have signed utter shit and players who lack natural talent.

Finally we have a manager who has corrected this within 6 months of him being at the club. He has a plan and that plan allows attacking players more room to work and be 1 vs 1.

Have you forgot that teams would just sit back against us, we would run out of idea's and get destroyed on the counter. It happened for 4+ years, and for the 5+ years before 2005.

when we get rid of shit players like downing, shelvey, henderson (im sorry but he has had long enough to show something by now) and a few others we will be much stronger.

Rubbish Borini and Assaidi are crap

Assaidi cost 2 odd million quid and is on low wages. We will get back the money we paid for him if we want to get rid.

Better than Jovanovic on 100k per week, 30+ years old, no re-sale value, who was known to be shit before we got him.

Joe cole? see above

Voronin? See above

The list goes on...

Borini might be shit, but again he is young and we will still get half our money back.

Every manager makes mistakes in the transfer market...and im not claiming Rodgers wont do the same but fuckin hell if people cant see the improvement in the 20 million he spent in january after only 6 months in the job compared to the utter fucking madness of every liverpool manager in the last 20 odd years you might aswell all close your profiles down and let me handle every thread and every post on the forum.

Two points:

Don't call Kuyt 'utter shite' and lump him in with all that... utter shite.

Henderson has shown plenty this season, you need your head checked if you still want him out the door.

Kuyt was shit, he won one trophy in 6 years here. He had the worst touch of any player ive ever seen, even titus bramble.

He just worked hard and that was enough to see him playing for one of the top teams in the world for 6+ years and only claim one trophy in that time.

This is why we have been so average for so long, we worship players who just arent good enough to make us progress.

I was fully behind henderson, even last year when everyone was on his back. He has a good touch, technique and is quick around the park. But where do you play him? he isnt good enough on the left, he cant beat a man. He lacks awareness and vision to play in the middle two and isnt creative enough to play behind the striker.

He's had two years now to show us something, but i fear he will go down the road of all the average players we have signed in the past. If he is happy learning and developing from the bench then fine, but he isnt, and we will lose too much money if we let his contract run down.

We dont have another 3-4 years to give him, we need better for the way we want to play.

I was fully behind henderson, even last year when everyone was on his back. He has a good touch, technique and is quick around the park. But where do you play him? he isnt good enough on the left, he cant beat a man. He lacks awareness and vision to play in the middle two and isnt creative enough to play behind the striker.

He's had two years now to show us something, but i fear he will go down the road of all the average players we have signed in the past. If he is happy learning and developing from the bench then fine, but he isnt, and we will lose too much money if we let his contract run down.

We dont have another 3-4 years to give him, we need better for the way we want to play.

Henderson should be playing alongside Lucas in the engine room, as he has the energy and can pass.

He needs to swap positions with Gerrard, who more threat in the final third.

Rodgers playing players in the wrong positions, not for the first time this season.

Who's fucking worshipping him, don't call him utter shite as he quite clearly wasn't.

Its all about opinions, but i remember saying to my mates that we would never win trophies with players like kuyt in our team, and that was 6 months after he signed.

Henderson should be playing alongside Lucas in the engine room, as he has the energy and can pass.

Rodgers playing players in the wrong positions, not for the first time this season.

I've always wondered why gerrard doesnt and i very much doubt he hasnt been given the option to do so. I think he would have been asked where he prefers to play and knowing he cant bomb around the pitch, he decided to sit deeper.

But henderson needs to improve his tackling and forward passing to play in that role, and lucas isnt the most creative passer to play the ball forward either, so i doubt that would work.

But henderson needs to improve his tackling and forward passing to play in that role, and lucas isnt the most creative passer to play the ball forward either, so i doubt that would work.

Henderson is good at tackling, he is no worse than Gerrard defensively IMO.

Have you watched him for the under 21s in that role, he looks much more comfortable deeper and his passing is excellent.

Henderson just needs to be played in his best role and given some faith by the manager (who has shown fuck all faith in him), so he feels even more confident, loved and can thrive.

Kuyt was shit

I hate the way that distinguished servants of the club are dissed on internet forums.

Kuyts club playing record is a fine one:

1998–2003,Utrecht,160,(51)

2003–2006,Feyenoord,101,(71)

2006–2012,Liverpool.208,(51)

He is also the holder of a World Cup runners up medal, by no definition was he, or is he, shite.

His role was changed from an out and out striker to forward by Rafa. He never complained once. He always gave 100%, he also scored several key goals. Unsurprisngly he was very popular with his team mates, he loved the club with family frequently travelleing from Holland to see him play and was a silent gem in oiling the wheels of the Suarez transfer. He never got himself banned, and was rarely unavailable through injury.

No he didn't always play well, but neither did the team.

I remember Kuyt as a very good player and one of only a handful who have played in a world cup final.

I agree he needs to be in the middle. As for wrong position, he was a right winger for a season.

Playing Enrique and Downing out of position seems to have been a springboard for their form improving. (Before anyone gets carried away I'm not saying their as good as Messi.)

Gerard defo needs to be at the tip of any triangle.

I hate the way that distinguished servants of the club are dissed on internet forums.

Kuyts club playing record is a fine one:

1998–2003,Utrecht,160,(51)

2003–2006,Feyenoord,101,(71)

2006–2012,Liverpool.208,(51)

He is also the holder of a World Cup runners up medal, by no definition was he, or is he, shite.

His role was changed from an out and out striker to forward by Rafa. He never complained once. He always gave 100%, he also scored several key goals. Unsurprisngly he was very popular with his team mates, he loved the club with family frequently travelleing from Holland to see him play and was a silent gem in oiling the wheels of the Suarez transfer. He never got himself banned, and was rarely unavailable through injury.

No he didn't always play well, but neither did the team.

I remember Kuyt as a very good player and one of only a handful who have played in a world cup final.

I'd love more with his attitude. We'd be higher up the league.

As for this year, I hope we get business done in the first two weeks of the window.

Then enjoy the holidays.

However.......

Kuyt was....ah forget it, he's gone

He helped us win loads and our attacks never consistently broke down because of his poor touch and awareness

"more like kuyt"

Yea thats exactly what we need

"higher up in the league"

Yea maybe we would, but we wouldn't be winning it, because he was here for 6+ years and had his chance. The best and most naturally talented footballer this clubs has ever had, took kuyt out of the team as soon as he became boss.

There was a reason for that.