You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What next?

jsims

Liverpool fans are the same as any other really (might upset a few), and the behaviour / expectation of fans has changed a lot in the last 20 years.

It doesn't matter who you support, we've become as temperamental as the players, and throw our toys out of the pram just as readily.

Even United fans were question Ferguson last season after their poor European performance.

City have won nothing for donkeys years, finally manage to win 2 trophies and now the manager's not quite good enough.

Arsenal seem to think Wengers lost the plot.

Chelsea is literally Russian Roulette

Once upon a time, we'd applaud the grafters on the pitch, but now we criticise their lack of ability.

When we get the nimble skillful players we bemoan their lack of graft and physical presence.

When we get an older manager in... it's a young man's game now.

When we get a younger manager in... his inexperience costs points.

When we get a foreigner manager in... we call for a club legend to come back

When we get a club legend in... we claim emotionally led appointments are a bad idea

Fans are more fickle than ever, no matter who we support.

We've got a generate of mard arses who can't handle losing. That's the long and short of it.

Haha, tthat's pretty spot on to be fair.

I actually wonder how much of an issue Ferguson and the mancs are in all this. He's held such an iron grip on the league for so long and appears to always bounce back to winning ways that fans look at them, then look at their own setup, and wonder why they can't replicate it.

If you take Ferguson out of the equation most clubs in the league are inconsistent and lurch from one crisis and manager to the next.

Before anyone says it though, no, I don't think it's to do with Ferguson being there so long, I think it's to do with him being extremely good at his job.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think FSG will sack him having backed him to the tune of £20 million last month, but FSG could insist to Rodgers that a DOF will be appointed and exercise the "transfer committee" they were insisting on whilst searching for KD's replacement. Knowing he would not accept this BR would have no option to resign saving FSG another £10 million in paying staff off. Possibly far fetched I know. It all depends how bad the season pans out but both BR and the board are under extreme pressure, this "philosophy" could end up blowing up in their face adding another cock-up to the list they are compiling.

I think every manager makes some shit signings

Even fergie has. Bebe (8 million) djemba djemba (8 million) veron (30 million) anderson (18 million) and there are others.

And his team is littered with 20-30 million pound players also (rooney, rvp, ferdinand, de gea, carrick, jones, young etc etc)

He hit the jackpot with scholes and giggs, i think they are the players who help him the most. I think they are the players that help new additions fit in more easily, they help/advise them and teach them the united way (how to be a cunt....but a winning one)

Thats why its crucial we keep carra & gerrard on, and have them around the training ground day in and day out.

Going back to Brendan i don't worry so much as others about his first signings. If allen, borini as assaidi arent good enough then we should easily get back

(8-10 miillon allen, loss = 5 to 7 million)

(5-7 million for borini, loss = 3 to 5 million)

(1-3 million for assaidi, loss = 0 to 1 million)

Compare that with the 20 (ish) million we might lose on carrol, the 8 to 10 million we'd lose on downing and the 5 to 8 million on henderson....its a big difference already.

12 million for sturridge was a great price, even if he was a flop we'd have got most of that back but now his hitting in goals and looking dangerous, his value has already risen in my eyes.

Sahin was there to buy, we took him on loan and got rid of him pronto. So lost hardly anything.

If Rodgers mistakes in the transfer window cost him a maximum of 13 million, thats really not that bad and he appears to be stopping the bleeding and crazy transfer shite we have pulled over the last 15 - 20 years.

its just realising his mistakes, not fucking around, and making ruthless decisions that i'd like to see this summer.

Haha' date=' tthat's pretty spot on to be fair.

I actually wonder how much of an issue Ferguson and the mancs are in all this. He's held such an iron grip on the league for so long and appears to always bounce back to winning ways that fans look at them, then look at their own setup, and wonder why they can't replicate it.

If you take Ferguson out of the equation most clubs in the league are inconsistent and lurch from one crisis and manager to the next.

Before anyone says it though, no, I don't think it's to do with Ferguson being there so long, I think it's to do with him being extremely good at his job.[/quote']

Yet he was even just a game away from the sack back 1990 too.

Its difficult to compare anybody to United really as they've had so much good luck that could easily have been bad,which others have in similar circumstances.

Who knew the Lufftwaffe bombing Old Trafford in the 40's could help put them years ahead of the game in the 1990's.

Who knew turning down Michael Knighton and giving a share of the club to BSkyB could again pay such dividends(pun intended.)

Who knew that crop of young talent could form the backbone of the squad for years to come.

They made the most of that luck and havent looked back since.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Rodgers saw out his contract although FSG may get to impose a DoF on him sometime between now and 2015 if results don’t improve. In fact this transfer committee may already be playing a sort of DoF role anyway, controlling his choice of player in the transfer market. Judging by Borini and Allen’s performances this season that is no bad thing.

For me the main thing that has to change is the collective mentality of the first team squad - as a group they just don’t want to win badly enough. It’s nothing new, in the last 20 years probably only the 2001 and 2009 teams had anything approaching the right mindset to succeed. To me it says it all that Rodgers had to goad Downing and Enrique through the press before either of them could be bothered to pull their fingers out. It shouldn’t take a public humiliation to persuade a Liverpool player to produce his best.

They aren’t the only ones, Agger and Skrtel, made for life with newly signed 4 year deals in their back pockets, have been poor this season and have both been in and out all the time they’ve been at the club. Reina was talking about having a contract until 2016 in a recent interview - shorthand for “I’m owed that money and I’m not going anywhere for less” as far as I’m concerned. Johnson too, brilliant one minute, appalling the next.Why pay Champion’s League wages to players that don’t turn in top 4 standard performances week in week out? I wouldn’t care if the lot of them were moved on. Oddly enough, lesser players might actually serve the club better if they produce their best more often.

Well isnt it funny that they are all defenders/GK? We have our best personel in those positions and yet its our weakest area.

These are all world class players undermined by Brendan, not to mention the same problem with Gerrard. You could pack 4 Maldinis in our back four and the same problem would remain. He can sign as many mediocre wingers as he wants till hes blue in the face and the cows come home.

You've got world class players being asked to play with schoolyard dinnertime kickabout tactics.

No amount of time will remove the basic flaw, you've got idiots on here who think we can win the league with this stupidity under Rogers with his defensive record, shocking stuff, hendo at left wing, downing at left back and Brad Jones in goal, he deserves the sack because he is a sack and not a very hairy one. He hasnt got a fucking clue how to beat any team above top ten because they can put goals past us at will.

All the wanking in the world by our fans isn't going to change it but we do also need to change the mongs at the very tiptop because they've already displayed staggering ineptness in their decision making and continue to do so.

A fucking abortion of a stewardship.

Well isnt it funny that they are all defenders/GK? We have our best personel in those positions and yet its our weakest area.

These are all world class players undermined by Brendan, not to mention the same problem with Gerrard. You could pack 4 Maldinis in our back four and the same problem would remain. He can sign as many mediocre wingers as he wants till hes blue in the face and the cows come home.

You've got world class players being asked to play with schoolyard dinnertime kickabout tactics.

No amount of time will remove the basic flaw, you've got idiots on here who think we can win the league with this stupidity under Rogers with his defensive record, shocking stuff, hendo at left wing, downing at left back and Brad Jones in goal, he deserves the sack because he is a sack and not a very hairy one. He hasnt got a fucking clue how to beat any team above top ten because they can put goals past us at will.

All the wanking in the world by our fans isn't going to change it but we do also need to change the mongs at the very tiptop because they've already displayed staggering ineptness in their decision making and continue to do so.

Reina and Skrtel are very good players, not world class.

I disagree mate but either way we have a better collection defenders than most teams including the two teams lording it above us in the league and who will probably complete league doubles over us this season:

01 Vorm

04 Chico

06 Williams

22 Rangel

33 Davies

01 Foster

02 Reid

03 Olsson

06 Ridgewell

23 McAuley

I rest my fucking case. No point wasting anymore time or money on the man he's shit, we're shit and fans who are happy just to watch us play a 'brand' of football are also shit. Heres how shit it is, we are shit in europe and out of our depth under these 'tactics', we are shit in the cups, occasionally we knock four past a really shit team and all the muppets reaming Rodgers bumhole get their winnetsworth.

Clarke the man we got rid of has got a well shitter team above us.

His former club who did well before him are doing even better after him and are also above us.

Sterling, Gerrard, the entire defence no matter who plays and a good few others are nowhere near playing at their highest level.

A bunch of non descript suckers have been brought in most of which are still in their wrapper on the shelf.

A load of mongy prat choices like Bard Jones and the Hamlet style trajedy that has followed in defence as a result.

Good players will be speaking to their agents.

A shitload of other shit cos the managers a lolly ice stick.

Rodgers deserves another year no matter what and if i'm honest if he was to provide year on year progression i'd keep him for at least his contract. If there is one thing we should of all learned by now it is that binning off managers season after season is not working. Liverpool football club have made mistakes, now it is time to learn by them.

I think FSG brought Rodgers in because they want off this manager merry go round and they bought into Rodgers long term plan, if they were to f*ck this plan off after one season then I would have genuine concerns about them.

It's gonna be a bumpy ride no matter what and the shit fanbase we now have who want instant success and slag off Liverpool managers like their worse than the whisky nosed c*nt down the road can f*ck off, their one of the biggest issue's with me and this club at the minute, I don't know what it is or if it's just me but I cannot in all my years of supporting Liverpool remember so called fans spewing such bile at Liverpool managers before Rafa and it fuckin sickens me.

Top post mate.

Rodgers is far from the messiah, but when I read some of the comments on here, it makes me sad at how much the "Liverpool Way" has been lost among our fans.

For what it's worth, he has us playing much better football than last season with a young side. There was the awful start to the season, then a reasonable peiord.. followed by the almighty fuck up against Villa at home and then we went on a good run with performances against City and Arsenal away that were very good and should have given us 6 points and not 2. In the last week, we have been cruelly punished in two games, that should have been dead and buried by us only for poor finishing.

I am concerned at some of his buys and his tendency to go for players that he knows. Maybe it's a comfort thing with him being at a huge club, but while a guy like Allen could be very good in the future, he is so far from being a 15 mil player at the moment it is frightening. I personally think McCarthy at Wigan is a much better player and might have cost a few million less. It doesn't hide the fact that over the summer, that 15 million could have been spent in other areas of the team. I haven't seen enough of Borini to judge him fully, but he doesn't excite me like Sturridge would. His big test will be getting rid of our big underperforming players like Reina and Agger over the next 6-12 months and bringing in top replacements. Sourcing out Xabi about returning would be a great bit of business.

I think he deserves at least another year. We remind me so much of United team around 89 or 90, with a brilliant few players, some decent promising ones and then alot of mediocrity in the same team and a great academy bubbling under. I like Rodgers and while I'm not saying he's the next Fergie, I do think he has the intelligence and desire to grow into the role.

Who signed them?

Previous managers HAVE beaten teams in the top 10, where did that get us?

Its all about trying something new, building a system and a foundation that will serve us for the next 10+ years.

Of course it will take time for players to adapt to a new style, and they will make mistakes like we've seen this season so far.

But FFS see the bigger picture and stop demanding everything NOW. It hasnt got us very far in the last 5 years.