You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Espresso maker

Paulie Dangerously

I use a French press, which isn't too much of a faff but I am absolutely bone idle.

How does the Aeropress compare mate and why has it made such a favourable impression; speed, ease, quality, or all of the above?

Aeropress kicks the shit out of a cafetière. It's quicker because you don't have to wait 4 mins to brew, about 30 odd second press. Easy to clean as well although so is a cafetière. The coffee is much better, you would notice if you went back that the coffee out of a cafetière is much sharper, nowhere near as smooth. I take mine into work every day as well as using it at home.

• 5 months later...

Just a little bump for this as I know some members were having trouble with the recycling of Nespresso pods and their coffee-to-waste ratio in general. 

Nespresso are now offering recycling bags with orders off their website which you can fill up and send off for free from any Collect+ point (for example my local corner shop where I have my pods delivered for collection.  I just hand them the bags with freepost labels on)  

On a separate note having tried virtually every 3rd party Nespresso compatible pod on the market I've given up trying to find a comparable one and just buy theirs now.  Far superior in quality.  Great customer service when getting them delivered and now recyclable.  Be like Paulie.  Be like Clooney. 

Aeropress kicks the shit out of a cafetière. It's quicker because you don't have to wait 4 mins to brew, about 30 odd second press. Easy to clean as well although so is a cafetière. The coffee is much better, you would notice if you went back that the coffee out of a cafetière is much sharper, nowhere near as smooth. I take mine into work every day as well as using it at home.

I have an aeropress but I have never used it. I watched a youtube video on how to use it and it looked incredibly complicated. Maybe the video wasn't a good one as it seemed to involve all sorts of weird holding the device at angles.

Is there a good video on how to use one?

I have an aeropress but I have never used it. I watched a youtube video on how to use it and it looked incredibly complicated. Maybe the video wasn't a good one as it seemed to involve all sorts of weird holding the device at angles.

Is there a good video on how to use one?

All that timing crap and special cups etc isn't needed. All that's needed is the 2 clear main bits, the black screw on cap, the scoop and one of the filter papers that comes with it. 

Put a filter paper into the black cap, then screw it onto the bottom. Put 2 scoops of coffee grounds into the aerorpess, put it onto a cup or mug. Boil the kettle and wait a short while after it is boiled, it gets the temperature of the water down a bit.  

Start pouring from the kettle slowly, shaking and stirring the coffee grains, you want to stir them without having to resort to using that plastic thing afterwards. I do that and and then fill it up with water to number 4. Put the plunger in and press slowly down, 20 or 30 seconds. I stop when it starts hissing although some people push that foam out, I just think that bit is more bitter. 

This will give you about 2/3 of a mug of strong coffee, then top up the cup with boiling water. Its easy once you do it a couple of times.