You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Former Red Jimmy Payne RIP

MOGLET

Apologies if this is up already, couldnt find it on a search.

From SLY (sorry its the only place I saw it)

Former Liverpool and Everton winger Jimmy Payne has died at the age of 86.

Bootle-born Payne was one of only a handful of players to play for both Merseyside clubs, although the majority of his career was spent with Liverpool.

Over an eight-year career with the Reds, starting in 1948, he played 243 games, including the 1950 FA Cup final defeat to Arsenal, and scored 43 goals.

He left Liverpool to join Everton in 1956 but injuries restricted to him to just six matches for the Toffees before he was forced to retire.

Payne was known as the 'Merseyside Matthews' in reference to former Blackpool, Stoke and England winger Stanley Matthews.

A statement on the Liverpool website read: "Everybody at Liverpool Football Club would like to pass on their condolences to Jimmy's family and friends."

His daughter Shirley Morgan told the site: "For the last eight years my dad has been in a home and it was a bit of a struggle but he fought to the bitter end, bless him. Thankfully he's at peace now."

RIP Jimmy.

Guest San Don

Saw this earlier on the club site.

His daughter said he'd struggled through the last years of his life. I hope the club helped in some way rather than just post condolences. These old timers earnt nothing from football for their later lives and the club should do what it can to assist them in difficult times.

My Nan went dancing with Jimmy Payne in Orrell Park Ballroom, back in the day. She said that when they danced people would come up to him and say 'Well played Jimmy' and he would look away and say to my Nan and 'I played rubbish!'. She asked him 'Who do you play for?' and when he said Liverpool she was dead surprised.

RIP

Saw this earlier on the club site.

His daughter said he'd struggled through the last years of his life. I hope the club helped in some way rather than just post condolences. These old timers earnt nothing from football for their later lives and the club should do what it can to assist them in difficult times.

agree.

when I was on the taxi's I dropped off an old lady who lived on Queens drive who said her husband was an ex red's keeper and I cannot for the life of me remember what she said his name was embarrasingly.

My Nan went dancing with Jimmy Payne in Orrell Park Ballroom, back in the day. She said that when they danced people would come up to him and say 'Well played Jimmy' and he would look away and say to my Nan and 'I played rubbish!'. She asked him 'Who do you play for?' and when he said Liverpool she was dead surprised.

RIP

Great that mate. God bless Jimmy x