You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What do you think?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I strongly agree
    • I strongly disagree
    • I agree
    • I disagree
    • I am unsure.

If Munich related chanting was audible it would be highlighted but let's face it it never is. I've only ever seen a few pockets of lads outside the grounds doing this but with them you're talking thousands.

Yes it needs highlighting not brushing under the carpet but rather than talkign about bans I say let them hang themselves in public and show themselves up for the hypocrites they are.

If Munich related chanting was audible it would be highlighted but let's face it it never is. I've only ever seen a few pockets of lads outside the grounds doing this but with them you're talking thousands.

Yes it needs highlighting not brushing under the carpet but rather than talkign about bans I say let them hang themselves in public and show themselves up for the hypocrites they are.

This would require the press to cover it. Which they are refusing to do.

whenever our lot chanted "Fergies right your fans are shite" they responded with "the sun was right your murderers"

"

i know there fans are shite but what's the fergie reference too is don't remember him having a go at the supporters?

Meanwhile Utd fans on Redcafe claim the press are not highlighting Sturridge's 'dive' because of a pro Liverpool conspiracy.

But a genuine question for matchgoers, particularly away games, how prevalent are Hillsborough songs? It is just Utd fans? Or at other grounds also? And how prevalent are Munich songs by Liverpool fans? Or do they even exist?

I guess my point is I think so much abuse in football is just accepted by everyone under the guise of 'passion'. Fans on players, players on refs, fans on fans, players on managers, players on players, managers on refs etc etc, that derogatory chants just aren't deemed newsworthy. If it was me, they definitely would be as it would go along way to stamping them out. But I would also clamp down on a lot of the other abuse as well. Particularly aimed at match officials

I was at the game and it didn't bother me at all. This is football, not a knitting circle, we hate them, and they hate us. The more snide they became, the happier we were. No-one in our end was bleating we were savouring the moment. This is a tribal confrontation between two clubs, two cities and two regions, santise it at your peril.

I was at the game and it didn't bother me at all. This is football, not a knitting circle, we hate them, and they hate us. The more snide they became, the happier we were. No-one in our end was bleating we were savouring the moment. This is a tribal confrontation between two clubs, two cities and two regions, santise it at your peril.

And this exactly what I was referring to. Any kind of abuse accepted because 'this is football' where 'passion' equals hatred.

How would you feel listening to those songs if your son had been killed at Hillsbrough?

• Upvote 1

Meanwhile Utd fans on Redcafe claim the press are not highlighting Sturridge's 'dive' because of a pro Liverpool conspiracy.

But a genuine question for matchgoers, particularly away games, how prevalent are Hillsborough songs? It is just Utd fans? Or at other grounds also? And how prevalent are Munich songs by Liverpool fans? Or do they even exist?

I guess my point is I think so much abuse in football is just accepted by everyone under the guise of 'passion'. Fans on players, players on refs, fans on fans, players on managers, players on players, managers on refs etc etc, that derogatory chants just aren't deemed newsworthy. If it was me, they definitely would be as it would go along way to stamping them out. But I would also clamp down on a lot of the other abuse as well. Particularly aimed at match officials

It's predominmatly the younger, more impressionable, 'just out of school' gangs of lads who usually sing the Munich songs. I like to think it's just immaturity as we all thought it was cool back then too, but as you grow up you realise it's not. Didn't go yesterday but they were singing it on the train there and back to the LC game at OT back in October. I've shouted at them to pack it in a couple of times in the past but you have to watch yourself when you're outnumbered.

Holt is a gutless twat though. Yeah, a quick mention on Twitter but fuck all in his report where it might, you know, get noticed by someone.

Where do you draw the line on the reporting of abusive chants, RL? Football matches are full of vitriolic abuse from the stands to the dugout to the pitch. I agree it needs to be stamped out but why would they report on one stream of abuse when there's a whole raft of them in every single game?

The stands need to be self policed, I think, like PR25 referred to on his train journey. I think the press highlighting the chants would help but I don't see it happening. There would be no room for match reports!

• Downvote 1

Where do you draw the line on the reporting of abusive chants, RL? Football matches are full of vitriolic abuse from the stands to the dugout to the pitch. I agree it needs to be stamped out but why would they report on one stream of abuse when there's a whole raft of them in every single game?

The stands need to be self policed, I think, like PR25 referred to on his train journey. I think the press highlighting the chants would help but I don't see it happening. There would be no room for match reports!

There's abusive chants, then there's those mocking death which take it to another level. There's a clear difference between the two.

Racist chants, anti-Semitic chants are reported on, there's even been whole documentaries on the subject.

If the press can focus on United's wonderful support singing 20 times after they'd just been twatted off the pitch, surely they heard, and can make even a passing mention, to the unacceptable chants from yesterday too.

• Upvote 1

There's abusive chants, then there's those mocking death which take it to another level. There's a clear difference between the two.

Racist chants, anti-Semitic chants are reported on, there's even been whole documentaries on the subject.

If the press can focus on United's wonderful support singing 20 times after they'd just been twatted off the pitch, surely they heard, and can make even a passing mention, to the unacceptable chants from yesterday too.

Ok, I actually do agree here. But I still think the best way is self policing, though press coverage would obviously help. It's obvious though that people singing about Hillsborough and Munich are so disassociated from those events, they don't even realise what they are singing and how offensive the chants are.

If you can hear the chant booming out from the stands at the ground and on the TV then it's clear this is not just a few braindead individuals and is therefore worthy of a reference. It's a bit more difficult when for example at the last derby you would have to have been a first hand witness to spot them doing the wall pushing gestures and pressing their hands to their faces.

A mate next to me yesterday reported one of their fans (in a box behind us) for wall pushing gestures.

Fair do's, the Stewards got him ejected.

Good to hear that. Prawn munching twat. Well at least that the stewards are prepared to take action. 

Also been overlooked that the chant confirms something we've all known for a long time, and takes away the excuse they've used for years.

'Murderers' is a Hillsborough chant. Always has been, always will be. Them cunts just confirm it with that chant.

Despicable pricks.

Uniteds image will never be tainted whilst shitpants is still breathing. The media never report united fans acting like cunts and why should they when they are top of the table and a journo's wet dream.

Your idea is flawed.

They are not top of the table and the  Moyes football genius banner was on TV plus they

conceded 3 pens,yesterday. Taggart looked very much yesterdays man as he was festering in the director box. There are plenty of knives out for the Mancs now.but I am little surprised that the vile chanting hasn't been moire exposed. Banning away support probably isn't the answer more like the last resort. More pressure from the clubs and decent supporters to expose it and get the media to highlight is required.

• Upvote 1

Any kind of abuse accepted because 'this is football' where 'passion' equals hatred.

A noble sentiment.

Where I diverge in the debate is that the capacity of fans to behave badly crosses all support, so I am pretty loathe to be sanctimonious about others.

There was a fair bit of Manc bile on Sunday, but my view is let them stew in it.We came out top dogs- that's what really gets to them.

I would not want to miss the sight of their angst ridden faces for their next visit to Anfield for anything! We have waited a long time for this...