You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Getting a sixpack

Tossed and blown

Exactly mate. For me if I eat breakfast by 11 I'm staving and then lunch, mid afternoon snack by the time it come to dinner I'm having a small meal otherwise I'll bust my calorie limit.

I tend to hit the gym early in the morning, skip breakfast and depending on how I feel have eggs or something for lunch then a massive dinner. I'm always full and never want a snack.

Everyone is different but this way I feel like I am packing my face all day but only having around 2500 cals. Whatever works but intermittent fasting is defo worth a look if you are struggling.

You're are spot on mate my sons do a lot of fasting like yourself and like yourself they do a lot of Gym work with a lot of road work,but the original poster is in his 40's like myself and as you know after crimbo the old cob webs are blown off the trackie and trainers and we start thinking we are Mr Motavator so I think the small meals frequently would be right up our street.

I am just jogging the ale house to watch the match but honestly I will start my regime tomorrow.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry mate wasn't meant to be a dig. I just get frustrated when I see people thinking simply eating chicken breast instead of burgers will turn them into superman.

Eating numerous small meals instead of one or two big ones is also a misconception. Indeed research is now suggested that an extended fasting period followed by a large meal is more beneficial. I used to do the whole 6 meals a day. Massive pain in the arse. I now either have one or two large meals a day of whatever I want so long as it contains sufficient protein and proper calorific amount. I've never been leaner.

Apology accepted even if one wasnt needed.

I think small meals are a better idea for most people because of their lifestyles and limited timeframes to eat in.

I am nothing more than a normal person who just tries to keep the love handles as small as possible through moderate exercise and reasonable eating. I tend to only eat one biggish meal a day and that suits my lifestyle and health restrictions.

Of course this is only me and you obviously do things differently and a bit more successfully than i do.

Bottom line is that we are all different and hopefully our OP can take something from most of the advice on here.

Apology accepted even if one wasnt needed.

I think small meals are a better idea for most people because of their lifestyles and limited timeframes to eat in.

I am nothing more than a normal person who just tries to keep the love handles as small as possible through moderate exercise and reasonable eating. I tend to only eat one biggish meal a day and that suits my lifestyle and health restrictions.

Of course this is only me and you obviously do things differently and a bit more successfully than i do.

Bottom line is that we are all different and hopefully our OP can take something from most of the advice on here.

Agree, small meals are better. In fact have a gander at activchannel 281 on sky. A lot of the guys including Neale Cranwell seem to base their diet on 6-7 smaller meals per day and he can't be wrong!

Chicken and (a few) chips yesterday, couple of beers, two glasses of wine at night. No breakfast this am and pissing out ketones at lunchtime!

Will this work if I only have carbs (beer) at the weekends, or will all the good work be undone then?

Also, as others have questioned, why no situps / crunches? These ought to be the best thing for the job?

Chicken and (a few) chips yesterday, couple of beers, two glasses of wine at night. No breakfast this am and pissing out ketones at lunchtime!

Will this work if I only have carbs (beer) at the weekends, or will all the good work be undone then?

Also, as others have questioned, why no situps / crunches? These ought to be the best thing for the job?

If you are going keto don't eat any carbs for a good 2 weeks (inc beer). Try and stick to spirits after that.

From what I know, everyone apart from the very immobile have decent abs, it is just that they are hidden under fat.

I was told that if you want a six-pack (which is damn near impossible unless you sacrifice a lot or have the body type) spend your time getting rid of that fat, rather than doing crunches and sit-ups as until you burn off that fat you are never going to see your abs. Once you can see 'em, then do the crunches etc.

From what I know, everyone apart from the very immobile have decent abs, it is just that they are hidden under fat.

I was told that if you want a six-pack (which is damn near impossible unless you sacrifice a lot or have the body type) spend your time getting rid of that fat, rather than doing crunches and sit-ups as until you burn off that fat you are never going to see your abs. Once you can see 'em, then do the crunches etc.

There's no harm in doing crunches and sit ups, but you shouldn't do them with a view to getting a 6 pack. AS Lance rightly says, that's just stupid. You should focus on acquiring good core strength around your whole mid section. Having a muscly stomach with a weak back is just daft, and that's what many men end up with.

Take it from me. I'm a fucking Adonis.

Girls; get flicking that bean.

556819_10151137332871430_405783492_n.jpg

There's no harm in doing crunches and sit ups, but you shouldn't do them with a view to getting a 6 pack. AS Lance rightly says, that's just stupid. You should focus on acquiring good core strength around your whole mid section. Having a muscly stomach with a weak back is just daft, and that's what many men end up with.

Take it from me. I'm a fucking Adonis.

Girls; get flicking that bean.

556819_10151137332871430_405783492_n.jpg

Is that a hint of a bingo wing creeping in on the starboard side?

The amount of lads in my gym who come day after day and do nothing but bicep curls and sit ups is incredible. I used to be the same until I was told

'Want bigger biceps? Squat more, want bigger shoulders? Squat more. What tighter abs? Squat more'

did purple aki tell you that before or after he made you swallow his black mamba?

that pic above is horrible by the way.

The amount of lads in my gym who come day after day and do nothing but bicep curls and sit ups is incredible. I used to be the same until I was told

'Want bigger biceps? Squat more, want bigger shoulders? Squat more. What tighter abs? Squat more'

The more I do squats the more I believe it when they say it is the 'king of exercises'. Lost a shit-load of weight as soon as I started doing them, started putting muscle on in places I didn't know I had muscles, stopped getting shin-splints after running due to the lesser weight and stronger legs. top stuff.

The only thing I do find is I keep tweaking my lower back occasionally doing them and have to lay off for a while. Pretty sure I am doing them right... maybe just a long-term injury I keep aggravating.

Right, this is the year I'm going to do this, or die trying.

43 years old, 6'3" reasonably athletic build, moderate aerobic fitness. Just over a year ago tipped the scales at 109kg and got down to 94 with reasonable ease for the summer. Problem is I retain a little bit of a gut and need some more 'definition'. 95kg now. Plan is to drop to 87-88 (same as at 19yo) and do a load of situps / pressups on the way. Really don't want to join a gym as I don't have the time, but can do the simple exercises at home. Is this feasible?

How much of the 'sixpack' is getting rid of the belly fat (primarily by diet presumably) and how much is exercise / reps to tone abs?

Also, is there any point at all in those electrostimulation things that yer strapon?

Batista.jpg

Reading the OP and some of the replies up to page two, I cannot get the image of you being Dave Batista out of my head

Update - I've tried to do the ketosis diet and been frankly amazed at the progress so far, despite having a few beers, couple of sarnies and a tub of ice cream. Now down below 93kg so about a four kilo loss so far, in itself not a huge surprise as I'm consuming relatively much less food. The real surprise is that my appetite has dropped right down despite the fact that I'm more active and I'm not missing the carbs much at all, although I was craving them like fuck for the first three days.

Now aiming for below 90 by the end of the month.

Don't see how I can do squats as my right knee won't flex past about 60 degrees without some pain, which increases quite rapidly as the flexion increases. Any suggestions?

See someone about the pain in the joint. Shouldn't be a painful thing to bend your knee.

Squats can fix minor pain, but you've gotta make sure it's not a lasting condition.

(Also, doing squats wrong can really hurt your knees... )

Update - I've tried to do the ketosis diet and been frankly amazed at the progress so far, despite having a few beers, couple of sarnies and a tub of ice cream. Now down below 93kg so about a four kilo loss so far, in itself not a huge surprise as I'm consuming relatively much less food. The real surprise is that my appetite has dropped right down despite the fact that I'm more active and I'm not missing the carbs much at all, although I was craving them like fuck for the first three days.

Now aiming for below 90 by the end of the month.

Good on you mate. Keto is great and pretty easy. Initially though the scales will show a rapid drop but most of that is a reduction in water retention. Keep at it and it will defo work.

It is such a chore having burgers, cheese and bacon all the time is it not.