You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite ever non-Liverpool side

Section_31

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always had a soft spot for Dortmund and I think that stems from the time when they had Sammer, Kohler, Reidler and Moller and were playing in that awesome flourescent yellow and black kit. I'm pretty much always in ownership of some of their gear and I'm loving them rising again and doing well.

Loved that Valencia team that had a few good seasons in Europe. Aimar was an amazing player at his peak and he'd have Baraja, Vicente, Lopez and Albelda in there too. I remember being in awe of how much cynical shit David Albelda got away with before getting a booking and modelled my game accordingly. Baraja is a massively under-rated player when people look back down the years.

Also really wanted Bielsa's Chile to do well. I pretty much supported them in that World Cup and went a bit mental when Torres got one of them sent of with an act of stunning shithousery.

My Granville / Blacktown City team 1988-94.

From under 11s to under 17s we lost 4 games.

Real Madrid with Puskas and co.

Hungary 1954

Napoli 1987

Arsenal untouchables (Bergkamp my fave with Jari. Shame we never signed Bergkamp when we had a chance)

Juventus 84-86

Brazil 1970

Holland 1974/8

Barca mid 90s with real Ronaldo, Stoichkov, Romario

Ajax early 70s - Tör

Spain now - to think they thought Xabi couldn't fit in! He is the fucking conductor. Good shout on that Sociedad team. I watched that entire season and they featured heavily. Xabi was different class even then, played further forward and scored a fair few goals (14?)

Rafa’s Valencia

Milan late 80’s

Ajax mid 90’s

Arsenal invincibles

Yugoslavia 90

Holland 74 / 78 / 88

Brazil 82

Newcastle mid 90’s (Asprilla, Ferdinand, Ginola)

Spurs 87 (Clive Allen, Hoddle, Waddle, Mabbutt, Ardiles, Ray Clemence)

Barca (Current side shit on all the rest unforthunately)

Lazio of the early 00's; Nedved, Nesta, Salas, Veron etc. and Siniša Mihajlović’s mortar like free kicks.

Tranmere Rovers when Aldo was banging them in were exciting and got incredibly close to getting into the top division.

The current Barcelona team, their demolition of Real Madrid in the 5-0 classico in 2010 should be played to any kids getting into the game as an example of how to do it.

Any team Andrea Pirlo has graced since his move from Internazionale (so Milan, Juventus and Italy), he is an exceptional player not dissimilar to Xabi Alonso and I also deeply enjoy the schadenfreunde of getting behind Italy at major tournaments as a huge amount of the British population seems to hate them (yes that includes you Angry Townsend).

Watching Blackpool two seasons ago, away against Chelsea. They had 4 away games in their first 5, getting trashed 6-0 by Arsenal along the way, but alseo trashing Wigan in the opener, and winning 2-0 against Newcastle. The fourth away game was against Chelsea. They were losing by a clear margin. Four goals down after 41 minutes. But Holloway didn't bother. Neither did their players. They bombed forward in the second half, creating loads of chances at S.Bridge, and the Chelsea players looked astonished to be honest. Not the kind of behaviour a newly promoted side, four goals down at halft time, should do when the game was over. I would love to know what Holloway told his players during half time that day.

That second half is by far the most inspiring breath of fresh air, and major kick in the teeth against the "norm", I've seen in modern football. I fell in love with Blackpool there and then.

A pity, (but not surprising) they went down. Romance and naivety has no place in the sad place called Premier League.