You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Apple TV

Paco

thinking of getting my father in law this for christmas but need help deciding.

basically we want to get it for him so he can watch sky sports on sky go when he goes over to sunderland to see the grand kids. They don't have sky and their broadband isn't great either.

they have a decent TV with hdmi so the ipad/apple tv can hook up but will the shitty broadband be a problem? does sky go work well on apple tv? i've read contrasting reviews.

Yeah as above really... just to add though, Apple TV doesn't have Sky Go 'built in', and also the app itself doesn't allow you to use Airplay or even mirroring. It's a bit of a fucker but you can understand why Sky would restrict it.

You can mirror from a MacBook.

All in all though, if it's a truly shite broadband connection then it's not going to serve its purpose anyway.

You could also go down a different route, something like a slingbox setup, but once again you're going to be limited by the crap broadband. If you are looking to stream it from one place to another you will need some kind of broadband to do it via, no matter what solution you are looking at.

The AppleTV doesn't have a disk as such. If you have a really slow connection, you could in theory download it before you want to watch it, and as long as you don't watch anything else on the Apple TV beforehand, you'll be able to stream it from the box. Download overnight, watch in the morning. Not an ideal scenario, but it would work.

Guest davelfc

Jailbroke mine at the weekend (Apple TV 2) and placed XBMC Hub on it. Watching newly released films, live sport, the entire 3rd season of Louie and loads of other goodies. Amazing bit of kit when you remove the restrictions imposed by Apple on the device.

TV on XBMC | 1Channel XBMC Addon

HOW-TO:Install XBMC on Apple TV 2 - XBMC

Supercharge your current XBMC installation with XBMC Hub Wizard

• 2 weeks later...
Jailbroke mine at the weekend (Apple TV 2) and placed XBMC Hub on it. Watching newly released films, live sport, the entire 3rd season of Louie and loads of other goodies. Amazing bit of kit when you remove the restrictions imposed by Apple on the device.

Just did mine last night... had a few snags on the way but it looks pretty impressive.

I used Seas0npass and have so far only installed Icefilms which unfortunately has a bug that asks to install metadata but if you try that the links to films don't work. So you have to disable metadata by holding down the menu button and navigating through the settings.

Anyway, not really for the faint-hearted in my opinion. But well worth it once you've got the hang of it.

Thanks for the links by the way. I'll have a look at that lot later.

Guest davelfc

If you have a mac (not sure if there's a windows version) then run the file from the last link. It basically adds all of the repositories for you so you do not have to. Everything is then set up and just works.

I want to rep you again because that XBMC hub link looks like it could be the absolute hounds mounds.